No Snacks Starting June 1st?

We tried Allegiant once from ABE to PIE. Their model is to charge for everything, including checked luggage. The only way to get free water is if you're taking medication and need it for your pill. The beverage cart had a lot of snacks for sale, and they even had souvenirs for sale.

I just checked Yahoo Finance, and ALGT reported a flat first quarter profit of $9.7 million.

Allegiant is the only carrier that offers nonstop service from ABE to Florida (PIE, FLL and SFB). The problem is that at some times of the year the ABE to PIE route only operates 2 or 3 times per week. Not all travellers can plan around their infrequent schedule. However, the fact that they had a small first quarter profit shows that their model may be working.
Perhaps a coin-operated call bell?

We stopped serving tidbits on West coast flights blocked an hour or less a long time ago...those are referred to as "express" service. At one time we had little bottles of water, oj, apple juice and that worked. Then they felt we needed to offer "every" item on the regular beverage service so we no do the same service, with all options on the beverage menu. Full flights PHX to LAS a full beverage service including coffee and tea...we manage to get it done with 3 FAs on a 45min flight.

As cost conscious as we need to be and knowing the misers we have in HQ I can see them doing a few things. The whole "party cup" thing still comes up. I don't see the need for a cup that big on an express flight with barely enough time to drink it. :rolleyes: Go back to small cups and you can get three cups out of one can. :lol: Now seriously if they were to charge for cans of soda what would that do for our express service of coke, diet coke, sprite and water? I say get rid of all of that and make them water services. I sit in traffic longer than some flights we serve on. I don't care if WN serves a full beverage off a tray. I agree that the casual flier SHOULD pay for all of the items that they REFUSE to pay by way of a little thing called an AIRFARE! ! ! ! :rolleyes:

Why not just cut service altogether on flights under one hour. I think most people would rather have nothing under an hour than only a soda for 5 hours. Since a huge percentage of flights in the system are under an hour it would be a huge cost savings, and we'll all get more reading/Sudoku done. :)

There is no reason to do a full beverage service on flights of under an hour. I would vote for a limited beverage service (water or OJ) upon request on flights of under 1 hour, and a small snack on the longhauls.

There is just something so fundamentally wrong with not even providing a bag of pretzels on a transcon.

Ya know I'd agree with that EXCEPT for the fact of what the fares are. Granted there are a few on the plane that may be paying a pretty high fare but the majority are not. As long as airfare is as low as it is and certainly transcon pack a sandwich honey. If it comes down to taking off the "kibbles and bits" or wanting something from the employees FORGET IT. The snacks go.

costs need to be trimmed somewhere and ANYWHERE.

If one is going to b!tch and complain that they did not get their 6-8 pretzles then they have bigger issues.

Ticket prices MUST go up and cuts MUST happen where possible.

We all want to keep our jobs don't we?

Snacks enroute are a "Treat" that folks enjoy and expect, and the costs are easily absorbed into very slight ticket price increases.

Think of them as you would those annual Executive Bonuses, the cost of which are covered by decreased pay and benefits to the employees!

2B

Allegiant scares me. I think the reason they are making money is because they are flying the oldest planes in the air. I think they're flying the old Valu Jet planes.

The only way to fix this problem is to cut routes and raise prices. Charge what it actually costs to keep the plane in the air, and kettles will cut back, and those who can afford to fly will be the people who are paying for the tickets. End of story. If it is so importan to the government that the kettles are able to fly for $99, then they will follow with subsidies.

I personally would partner with Frito Lay and Pepsi, and charge for everything. Dont take away my snacks and coke, I'd gladly pay $5 for them. It will suck having 15 minutes to make a connection, and you get on the plane, and there is no beverage available. Pay $5, sure thing.

I so loved those pretzels. Pouring them out on a napkin, eating them one by one, then licking the salt of the napkin before rolling it up into the pretzel bag.

It made flying special.

What will I do now? Check out the Flight Attendants?

The only way to fix this problem is to cut routes and raise prices. Charge what it actually costs to keep the plane in the air, and kettles will cut back, and those who can afford to fly will be the people who are paying for the tickets. End of story. If it is so importan to the government that the kettles are able to fly for $99, then they will follow with subsidies.

So are you advocating furloughing some of your compatriots by dropping 30-40% of your passengers? You don't really think that doing that will do much more than cut frequencies on routes and make flying LCC less attractive to both leisure travellers and the business traveller whose most convenient flight was just cut due to reductions in service, do you?

Latest posts

Back