Pilot and F/A load bags at DCA

Here's another pathetic occurance. After a flight, I was walking through the cabin looking for a sports page. I found one and a union cleaner saw me pick it up and threatened to greive it as though I was doing his job. This was before the F/A's were cleaning a/c and it was in Philly. I expressed my thoughts on the situation, which seemed to upset him more. To this day, I don't feel bad about picking up that sports section. Am I uncaring and insensitive?

Those kids at Republic already gleefully took pilot and flight attendant jobs, they would probably load bags and clean the shitter with a toothbrush for 25 grand a year too. Anything to fly a shiney "big boy" jet! Someone should have come and thrown them in the cargo compartment along with the bags.

So you are saying that the passengers would just have to wait there till some lazy ass rampworker gets off their fat rear and loads it.

Why does everyone here automatically think the ramper(s) is at fault? How do we know they weren't working other flights? Or that the supervisors made an error and neglected to assign a crew to that flight?

Was this an ontime departure? If not, was the estimated time well communicated to the ramp unit?

Some of you on here are ridiculously fast to judge before knowing the whole story. Get over yourselves.

At WN it is not unusual to help out fellow employees when needed. I have seen pilots and flight attendants help on the ramp with bags, at the gate with wheelchairs, at the counter when its really busy and customers are asking lots of questions. They don't do this "in place of" the fellow employee, but "with" the fellow employees. It's called Customer Service, internal and external.

Why does everyone here automatically think the ramper(s) is at fault? How do we know they weren't working other flights? Or that the supervisors made an error and neglected to assign a crew to that flight?

Was this an ontime departure? If not, was the estimated time well communicated to the ramp unit?

Some of you on here are ridiculously fast to judge before knowing the whole story. Get over yourselves.

You wouldn't be inferring local management may have had something to do with this are you?

Doubt they are trained in weight and balance of loading an airplane.

And if they did do it they are scabs.

Worry about flying the planes and serving passengers.

Another ringing endorsement against the unions. You could chip in, be efficient and go the extra mile, but not with unions! God forbid someone be productive and help out.

Any wonder why union membership is so low in America?

Doubt they are trained in weight and balance of loading an airplane.

And if they did do it they are scabs.

Worry about flying the planes and serving passengers.

Did the IAM not cross a legal picket line set up by the AMFA at Northwest?
Not only did they cross the picket line they performed STRUCK WORK!

Just remember, band-aiding a problem solves NOTHING... can i spell that?...N O T H I N G..
I'll be the first one to want to get to my overnight...and most importantly my commute home...however loading airplanes (crew members WHAT were you thinking?) cleaning airplanes when you shouldn't (Even though I somehow don't remember interviewing for that job, but I must have passed because they hired me...without pay, I might add) ABOSLUTELY and POSITIVELY should NOT be done under any circumstance...it only SERVES to make management look GOOD...how ironic.

At WN it is not unusual to help out fellow employees when needed. I have seen pilots and flight attendants help on the ramp with bags, at the gate with wheelchairs, at the counter when its really busy and customers are asking lots of questions. They don't do this "in place of" the fellow employee, but "with" the fellow employees. It's called Customer Service, internal and external.

And that post explains the difference between a sucessful airline like Southwest and the morass that is known as USAir,where "above and beyond" are just 2 words out of a dictionary

The difference betweeen here and SWA, is basically, the crews help out when they can, etc.....but it prob. isn't the "norm" to get the cargo loaded/unloaded that a SWA crew has to go on the ramp and start throwing bags, as they are manned properly at their stations. Now if they come in one day, and the S**t is hitting the fan at that particular station, they chip in to help them out, as it's unusual for such to happen.
However, at US....it is NORMAL to not have someone to load/unload you, or for it to take forever. For a multitude of reasons. I'll admit as a crewmember I have gone and unloaded pax, I've loaded/unloaded bags.. BUT this was more than 2 years ago, when after waiting at a gate, there was NO ONE around, I shut 'em down, opened the door, and led the pax up the jetway. Something about white stuff on the ground in phly......will it happen again...not at this point in time...

Another ringing endorsement against the unions. You could chip in, be efficient and go the extra mile, but not with unions! God forbid someone be productive and help out.

Any wonder why union membership is so low in America?
How about we get some more management pilots and check them out on the A330 on down and allow them to fly when need it .Why not allow management to ride flight attendant jumpseat just to help out. Why not allow A&P management to help maintenance why not allow management to do all and every task possible in the union work force just in the NAME OF HELPING OUT. If US needs help hire more people to do the job of the class and craft of the Collective Bargaining
Agreement. When you are constantly understaffed and ask for help and ignored.

Latest posts