Pilot and F/A load bags at DCA

But there are often cirucmstances where things can't be done as timely as we'd like them.
Here you go. This is Tempe’s answer

Well if management allows this to occur. OFF WITH THE ORANGE/YELLOW VEST

I doubt a non-revving F/A working for anyone would go down and start loading bags

You doubt, because you would never do that, because you think its below you.

If a flight attendant was involved they are violating FAR 121.393, as well as US Airways work group CBAs and airport regulations.

Since when does a F/A, or a pilot, know how to correctly load an aircraft? Especially on a weight and balance sensitive aircraft like that?

You obviously have no experience in the airline business besides opening cans.

If the customer was impressed by this, by posting it he's pretty much lost those two Republic employees thier jobs.

I can almost see the gleam in your eye as you call the FAA.

Taking someone else's job should below all of us. Obviously it isn't, race to the bottom, look at this mess of an airline! And wrong and wrong on the other two as a matter of fact.

Taking someone else's job should below all of us. Obviously it isn't, race to the bottom, look at this mess of an airline! And wrong and wrong on the other two as a matter of fact.

Who's job are you taking? Will you be expected to show up for this volunteer job 40 hrs a week because you were trying to help?

An entitlement on owning a job may be part of your worldly outlook, btw.

What is race to the bottom? Can you define that.

All catch phrases...no substance. typical

Doubt they are trained in weight and balance of loading an airplane.

And if they did do it they are scabs.

Worry about flying the planes and serving passengers.

SpinDoc replies:

If the baggage handlers were there when they were supposed to be, then the crew wouldn't have had to load the plane (if indeed this occurred as stated)

Face it Lav Man, whether you like it or not, and whether there are contracts or not, we are ALL in this mission together, and our FIRST priority is to serve our customers. If the crew had to step in to keep the flight on-time to get our customers to their destination WITH their luggage, then they did the right thing, regardless of your petty union ridiculations.

Everyone in this god-forsaken company needs to lighten up and pitch in when necessary. It's pitiful when an extrordinary situation arises, and employees rise to help, only to be beaten back by the doomsayers and unionistas.

Any of those "Kids" at Republic could be 15+ year US Airways veteran pilots who just happen to be furloughed.

I have been in PHL parked at the gate with no rampers anywhere. So on those occasions, I have gone to the back of the plane (CRJ200), opened up the cargo door, and brought the passenger carry on bags forward so that the passengers could be on their way to a connecting flight. Am I a scab too?

Signed.....one of those "Kids" at PSA.

Ramp agents at F-Terminal in PHL are not unionized, so technically you did not violate any union ridiculations. While you may have done more work than your pilot union requires, you were not scabbing by helping out.

I have indirect knowledge that US Airways has done exactly the "Nonsense" of which you speak. REPEATEDLY!!! It is easier for an employee to just "Do Nothing" thanks to the enlightened management.
And did the employee hire an attorney to easily set it right?

The former America West repeatedly denied workers comp for employee injuries incurred doing the work of other groups, i.e. bagroom agents being injured when clearing jammed up bags in the belt system.
It is one of the most persistent rumors among front-line airline employees that this is true. I would be interested in seeing actual statistics about denied WC claims and the reasons for the denial (statistics I doubt anyone on this board would have), or reading the actual WC documents about the situation you describe.

Sure it may occassionally happen that an airline will wrongly deny a claim by a manager who makes a mistake. But that is easily set right. To deny a claim because "the employee was doing the work of other groups" with no other odd circumstances at work is simply contrary to WC law.

Well, it is time for me to add my two cents, for what it's worth.

FIRST, ALL EXPRESS flight MUST Recieve an OF11E prior to Departure. SO, if this indeed happen, the aircraft should have been unloaded by the FSA's then reloaded. There is no way that an FSA can fill out an OF11E, sign his name and badge number, without knowing how the aircraft is loaded. This would be against Company Policy which then would mean the FAA could step in a Fine the Company for not following Procedures. So, are we saying that the Republic Crew Knowingly Violated Procedures????

Second, I wished that one of the Crew Members in this case got hurt. I would love to see them TRY to get any money for an OJI.

I had a captain tell me on my last trip that they had a tug that was unable to start to do the pushback (CRJ700)at some airport in FL. The captain, a few deadheading crew members that he recruited, along with a few rampies around pushed the tug out of the way and moved the jet bridge back so they could power the plane out of the gate. Above and beyond...maybe.

Yesterday, I was working a flight out of a small airport in NC. after we were 20 min late, I got out of my seat to see what the problem was. The OF11E (filled out/ but no signature) was hanging in the jetway, and a rampie was asleep in the cargo bin. I woke him up and asked why he had not closed up. No answer was given. I walked back up to the gate only to find the GA trying to put more people on a flight that had 0 open seats on it available. Above and beyond...nope just trying to get my job done of getting the plane back to CLT as close to on time as possible (that is in my job description).

Yesterday, 3 calls to ops in CLT for gate agent to get people off airplane. I completed walk around and then went and opened the door to terminal and let them off myself. It was extreamly rough going into CLT yesterday and the last thing these people wanted was to sit on the plane any longer than they had too. The GA did not say anything to me but I did get the evil look from her. Above and beyond...nope, just trying to go home at the end of a VERY long day.

I'm quite sure that while earning the princely sum of $9.59/hr that was the very first thing he/she has money budgeted for AFTER the expense of eating and living indoors. :down:
It's not hard to find an attorney to take a case like that on a contingency basis.

What State are you referring to?
The general WC principle in all states is that if an employee is acting within the scope of her or his employment, s/he is covered. "Scope of employment" is interpreted very broadly. An airline employee getting injured while at work in an airport or on an airplane would certainly count, even if the airline cannot point to some specific language somewhere stating that it was the job of the employee to be performing the specific task s/he was performing when the injury occurred. Further, WC liability is a "no-fault" concept, so an employee can't try to "blame" the employee in order to avoid the employee being compensated (although most employers will browbeat the employee with the "how could this accident have been avoided" type of nonsense; however, that doesn't affect payment under the WC statute).

If there is a state out there that interprets "scope of employment" as narrowly as what is being suggested in this thread, I would certainly be interested in knowing it.

Would not surprise me at all that crew members loaded an AC. DCA ramp is 60+ agents short. There aren't enough to work all flights, same story in Cust Svc only about 30 short, and at least 15 Supvrs short. No one wants to be a supvr for an extra .59 per hour

It is one of the most persistent rumors among front-line airline employees that this is true. I would be interested in seeing actual statistics about denied WC claims and the reasons for the denial (statistics I doubt anyone on this board would have), or reading the actual WC documents about the situation you describe.

Do you have documents or a link to statistics verifying that this is the most persistent rumors amongst front-line airline employees? Do you have anything other than anecdotal evidence to support your statement?

Bet it's the same one I graduated from. "None U"
You'd lose that bet.

Do you have documents or a link to statistics verifying that this is the most persistent rumors amongst front-line airline employees?
What kind of documents or statistics would prove a negative like this?

Do you have anything other than anecdotal evidence to support your statement?
The lack of any ACTUAL cases of people being denied WC (with that decision being upheld by the relevant state WC appeals board) for things like your earlier example, or for a F/A being injured when helping a passenger on a plane stow luggage, is proof enough.

Again, you can't prove a negative. If I told you the sun rose in the west instead of the east on May 12, 1541, and challenged you to show me some documents or statistics to prove it didn't, but you can't find any such document unequivocally stating "The sun did not rise in the west on May 12, 1541," is it fair to then say I was right, and that the sun actually did rise in the west that day? Or should the onus be on me to prove my assertion if I want to be taken seriously?

If you have a case that shows a state WC board actually upheld the denial in a case like that, I'd love to see it. So far I haven't seen such a case.

OK then Oh Oracle of knowledge does one find a competent one? Lawyers aren't created equal.
For a simple, basic WC case like that, go to the yellow pages or call your union for a referral.

But take your silly statement another step. Where does one find a competent lawyer for ANY situation? Your statement seems to imply that it can't be done, or at least that is unduly difficult, so one shouldn't ever bother looking for a lawyer for anything.