Question About The New 757 Re-config ?

LGA777

Senior
Jan 21, 2003
I see that A/C 610 is now flying the line in its new F8-Y185 (193 total) configeration and 603 is in PIT being converted. Tonight I looked at a seat map for one of todays flights and the fwd cabin between the 1st and 2nd set of doors
(the former First Class Cabin) has 2 rows of F (8 seats) and 4 rows of Y (24 seats) for a total of 32 seats. The original configeration on the 757 was F16 (4 rows) and 3 rows of Y (18 seats) for a total of 34 seats. I just can't figure out why with only 2 rows of F we could not have fit a 5th row of Y seats in there, giving the 757 a total capacity of 199, same as Song but with First Class and still not requiring an additional Flight Attendant. Perhaps someone from Maintenance could enlighten me

LGA777 said:
I see that A/C 610 is now flying the line in its new F8-Y185 (193 total) configeration and 603 is in PIT being converted. Tonight I looked at a seat map for one of todays flights and the fwd cabin between the 1st and 2nd set of doors
(the former First Class Cabin) has 2 rows of F (8 seats) and 4 rows of Y (24 seats) for a total of 32 seats. The original configeration on the 757 was F16 (4 rows) and 3 rows of Y (18 seats) for a total of 34 seats. I just can't figure out why with only 2 rows of F we could not have fit a 5th row of Y seats in there, giving the 757 a total capacity of 199, same as Song but with First Class and still not requiring an additional Flight Attendant. Perhaps someone from Maintenance could enlighten me
FYI....603 is NOT in PIT being retro-fitted. 603 is in BDL for the RON tonight.

You have gotten bad info from someone. Acft 611 is in PIT Hangar 5 getting the seat mod at this time.

AOG -

611 came out yesterday......603 went in last night for conversion.

LGA -

By adding the additional row, you effect seat pitch. Perhaps we plan to go after Song with a better product - more space and 8 f/c seats. Just a guess.

MarkMyWords said:
AOG -

611 came out yesterday......603 went in last night for conversion.

LGA -

By adding the additional row, you effect seat pitch. Perhaps we plan to go after Song with a better product - more space and 8 f/c seats. Just a guess.
MMW,

I checked Merlin before I responded....603 is very much in BDL tonight...and 611 is operating a "Red-Eye" at this time.

We were both 1/2 right (LOL)

AOG-N-IT said:
LGA777 said:
FYI....603 is NOT in PIT being retro-fitted. 603 is in BDL for the RON tonight.

You have gotten bad info from someone. Acft 611 is in PIT Hangar 5 getting the seat mod at this time.
you sure it isn't in hangar 4? they got the aperture door there as i don't quite think a '57 will ,as they say in the burgh"gozeinta" hangar 5.

603 is in hangar 5, came in saturday night and is on 21:00 etr. As explained to me these are going to west coast cattle cars.

The reconfigured 757s are not slated for West Coast Cattle Cars, they are slated for low-yield, high-density markets like LAS, PHX and to reenter the Northeast to Florida Service and some Carribean.

700UW said:
The reconfigured 757s are not slated for West Coast Cattle Cars, they are slated for low-yield, high-density markets like LAS, PHX and to reenter the Northeast to Florida Service and some Carribean.
And possibly hub to MCO/FLL?

I knew for fact that the B757's were fitting in Hangar 5...I've sent a ton of stuff up there....and I do tend to know the location that I'm carpet bombing with parts. (LOL).

Vistajet...just have them send back or account for any leftovers....this is afterall "Brother can you spare a dime Airways" :D

OK, here is a question for the devil's advocate...

If all the parts and things are in CLT, why is the conversion work being done at PIT? Or is this just another example of poor planning and waste?

Am I missing something here?

My best to you all.....

Art at ISP said:
OK, here is a question for the devil's advocate...

If all the parts and things are in CLT, why is the conversion work being done at PIT? Or is this just another example of poor planning and waste?

Am I missing something here?

My best to you all.....
Art,

I have addressed this exact flop in thinking in another thread... CLT is somewhat man power straped...but we have 2 of 5 bays available in the "Big House" alone....the line hangar is not being used to capacity either.

So between manpower problems , A330/B767 frenzy...and someone trying to protect PIT...We are P1ssing away money hand over fist. It's OK...I'm precieved as being negative for speaking "The Plane-Truth" Vs their version of the plain truth.

This is but one of the many things that robs U of being a profitable company...but the Employee's are being set-up to bank-roll these SNAFU's.

I can site another glowing example of a failure to plan as well. The Airbus narrow bdy fleet has an Engineering Order that requires inspection and replacement of a very minor issue on the leading edges. DCA has been doing this check , yet is not allocated any of the parts for the corrective action.

On two consectutive nights...parts have had to be moved from PIT to fix one Acft...and a Charter Flight and addeed purchases from Airbus had to be made to repair another. The sad part was , the second nights Acft had in fact been in PIT for a C-Check just the day before...yet escaped without having this addressed at all.

So like before...it boils down to poor planning and a weakened logistics base....this one can't be tagged to Airbus this time....this was a "Home Brewed" phug up , plain and simple. WE ( Leadership) are indeed our own worst enemy.

Drove by the CLT Big House today. 2 A330s out there, must be doing a bangup job of improving revenues Christmas week to have two of those big birds there and not flying.

N628AU said:
Drove by the CLT Big House today. 2 A330s out there, must be doing a bangup job of improving revenues Christmas week to have two of those big birds there and not flying.
N628AU.....670 has been in Bay 3 for alomost two weeks....and 671 is what you saw sitting outdside. I do belive this is either day 3 or 4 of it sitting as well.

653 is in Bay 5 ..and 609 is in Bay 1. Needless to say we have lost a lot of punch with 3 heavies being off line at the same time.

CLT Heavy Maintenance along with PIT Heavy usually observe the holiday of Christmas by closing for the day...Yet like Thanksgiving this year....CLT will remain open for business with Junior people being on mandatory duty...and they are taking any and all whom are willing to volunteer to work. I have no word on the plans for PIT Heavy.

I do believe this reversal of historical acts is a clear indication of how poor staffing levels have destroyed our ability to function in a remotely timely fashion.

....yet the name of the game with "Bugsy and Crew is to abolish headcount.

"For every action...thier is an equal and opposite reaction"....and our reaction is a big negative as usual.

Latest posts

Back