Tempe Going CHEAP on the A330-200's

Speaking of Crew Rest, there’s an article in today’s WSJ regarding AA, CO, UA, B6 and US suing the FAA:

Some Airlines Fight Proposals on Crew Rest

JANUARY 5, 2009
By ANDY PASZTOR, Wall Street Journal

Continental Airlines Inc. and AMR Corp.'s American Airlines have filed a joint lawsuit opposing enhanced crew-rest and other safety requirements imposed by U.S. regulators on the longest international flights.

The litigation highlights the difficulties the Federal Aviation Administration faces in devising measures to combat pilot fatigue, particularly on nonstop runs lasting 16 hours or longer. As airlines seek greater productivity from flight crews across the board, tired and sleepy pilots are considered one of the major safety issues confronting U.S. commercial aviation.

That's particularly true on nonstop transoceanic runs or over desolate polar regions. With airlines relying increasingly on such extended global routes, they have been reluctant to raise labor costs by keeping pilots at certain foreign destinations for longer rest periods than currently mandated.

Long before the current tussle, regulations controlling pilot duty times were among the most controversial topics handled by the FAA. Since the 1990s, agency officials have discussed updating rules based on the latest scientific findings about the hazards of sleep deprivation or marathon workdays. Various foreign carriers and regulators have managed to reduce such risks but U.S. airlines and their unions have remained at loggerheads, and the FAA has made only marginal changes over the years.

<SNIP>

the latest court filing indicates the drive to get voluntary agreements on the longest routes has stalled. Filed before Christmas Eve in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, the suit asks for a review of "new and different regulatory requirements" which entail "substantial burdens and costs" on carriers.

On flights lasting longer than eight hours, additional pilots typically are assigned to relieve crew members. But when nonstop flights are scheduled for 16 hours or more, even four-person cockpit crews work beyond that traditional eight-hour per day limit.

The agency's decision to bypass formal public comment and federal rulemaking procedures, according to the complaint, illegally deprived airlines and other "stakeholders" of the opportunity to make sure that the additional requirements "promote, and do not unintentionally degrade, safety standards." In addition, the suit contends the agency lacks authority to impose the extra requirements on carriers, partly because broader proposed regulation on pilot scheduling have been pending since 1995.

Linkage to the rest

Your catchphrase is misguided. For USAirways it should read: "To be the most profitable airline, you must extract as much revenue from each deadbeat before they leave."

USAirways cares not one whit about being the best airline. It's about the money, and only the money. It's a shortsighted approach and works for a little while...at least long enough for the upper echelons to line their pockets and leave behind a useless mess for someone else to clean up.

This is why you're NYCBUSDRIVER...I said Continental had that quote but ...so true for US...

I missed that too....but I guess some people will see any sort of criticism(positive or negative) of Tempe as "west-bashing" which it is not...at all.

Most of us see the utter pointlessness of the East vs West discussion.....

Airlines like Continental and Northwest put on annual events dedicated to their elites and loyalty programmes...this in turn build up loyalty and ridership...US doesnt do this so big surprise...

They provide tours...forum workshops...listen to elites and treat us like real people with a vision...and listen to elites with good ideas.
This is very true, and a number of us are looking really forward to going to Continental's next one in February. Imagine that - 400 or so elites traveling to HQ on their own dime to learn more about the company that they choose to transport them around the world. I'm really excited about this, and you know what - I'd go to Tempe too if they had such an event.

Last year (I think it was) - while I was still loyal to US, I heard CO had this really cool event in Vegas to celebrate the 21st anniversary of their One Pass program where elites got to gamble with other elites using their miles. That is really cool.

I feel a lot better spending my $100,000 in air travel (my own money) with a company that believes I deserve appreciation IN ADDITION TO just basic transportation.

This is very true, and a number of us are looking really forward to going to Continental's next one in February. Imagine that - 400 or so elites traveling to HQ on their own dime to learn more about the company that they choose to transport them around the world. I'm really excited about this, and you know what - I'd go to Tempe too if they had such an event.

I believe that the capacity for the CO event is 525, and almost 500 are now registered. The registration has been posted for less than a week!!! The reason stated for capping the attendance at 525 is so that every attendee will have "access" to Larry Kellner (the CEO) and his top lieutenants. Imagine that!!! I for one am looking forward to personally thanking the CEO for approving the budget for this event!

I would also go to Tempe if they were to hold a conference or party for their frequent flyers. I've done it in the past (flew to PHL to attend RoachFest '04), and flew to GSO twice to attend employee retirement dinners. I figure that between the 3 events, I spent close to $2,000. But the experiences were priceless.

It did? Where?

The first time I read the over 14 pages I was just speed reading. I will admit that it was more a professional debate on the subject of regional airlines from page 8 to about page ten. It is all back on track now.
Hopefully you read the rest of the post where I pointed out that Airbus brags about it's crew rest bunks for the A330/A340. There is even a wonderful color photo but I do not know yet how to paste it into a post. The point I was trying to drive home is that it sure looks to me that your company does not care or understand the necessity for proper rest facilities on long haul service. It would seem even more so in light of a lawsuit.

Regardless of price which in the BIG scheme of things isn't much, this is a true reflection of how important your needs of a crew member really are to some. The fact that this even has to be haggled is insane. TAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES. How about we make some of you in Tempe STAND at your G'damn desk all day without being able to sit. Oh wait we'll give you an ottoman to plop your rear on. I have held my tongue about many things for a long time. I don't give a flying fat rats ass who reads this in Tempe either. I have an opinion and MY OPINION is you don't have ANY regard for flight attendants. None at all. My goodness does this lack of respect for basic necessity p!ss me off. Ok now...where is my wine. Uggggggh. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is this...We do NOT have a product to be proud of. We are HATED!! Got it?? HATED!! Nobody likes a cheap skate and we have become the cheap skate of the industry and guess what? We are not in any better position than those NOT charging for every little thing. And could someone please provide PROOF that selling everything is actually making the big bucks I keep hearing? No he/she said, pure on the paper PROOF!!

If any of you can look at our product and say it is even close to industry standard, I will be happy to provide you with a good therapist to deal with your delusuions! I am totally embarrassed to say I work here. We ARE the joke of the industry! The ottoman affair just pushed me over the edge!

I 2nd that above! As a ramp agent it has gotten so bad as on my way home from work and stopping at the grocery store for a few things. I'm still in uniform of course and people have actually came up to me and told me about a unpleasant experience on US and how "if that was the way things are always ran around there?" This has happened three times now and I'm at the point where I don't go out in public with a US Airways shirt on.

The bottom line is this...We do NOT have a product to be proud of. We are HATED!! Got it?? HATED!! Nobody likes a cheap skate and we have become the cheap skate of the industry and guess what? We are not in any better position than those NOT charging for every little thing. And could someone please provide PROOF that selling everything is actually making the big bucks I keep hearing? No he/she said, pure on the paper PROOF!!

If any of you can look at our product and say it is even close to industry standard, I will be happy to provide you with a good therapist to deal with your delusuions! I am totally embarrassed to say I work here. We ARE the joke of the industry! The ottoman affair just pushed me over the edge!

+1 to everything posted here. I would never wear anything that says USAIRWAYS on it outside of work. I also meet a US f/a who said she will not take the West coast trips as she is ashamed of the US product.

It is truly SAD how bad things have gotten here. The current management is so arrogant and condescending and BLIND to the realities that I doubt too much is going to change until we are sold off, merged, or taken over my a new group!!! They DO NOT CARE about customer or employees...their decisions speak volumes about how they see employees and customers alike!

In the meantime...try to make a postive difference in someone's day....front liners--keep doing what you do best...Polish the TUUrd :up: .......<G>

lol, Boeing Regional Jet:

aw47t4.jpg
is that one of your DH-8 or is it NW