Tempe Going CHEAP on the A330-200's

Look we're talking about a proper rest area for crew members on long haul flights. I can see Tempe saying "forget it" if it were any group asking for something like an exercise facility or a smoking area. Rest is required and it's safety related. Working a long haul flight at night through time zones should not land a f/a that has to be on their feet most of the time in a cramped up passenger seat. With an "ottoman" no doubt. In good faith the company should just say ok to it and build a little something between management and flight attendants. It's a studied FACT that flying long haul through multiple time zones is hard on the body. Hell it's hard for passengers who sit and rest the whole way. It just amazes me that this is an issue. I don't care how other airlines may have battled it out either. Tempe..DO THE RIGHT THING. PLEASE! ! ! !

As surprising as the thought of Tempe planning ahead may be, that may be what they're doing here - looking toward 2010 and the China service. The A332 is somewhat marginal range-wise for that flight and adding a crew rest module would undoubtedly add weight, resulting in even less range margin.

Of course, there's still the "It's cheaper to just use passenger seats for crew rest" argument...

Jim

is that one of your DH-8 or is it NW
That sad relic is sitting in the boneyard. One of the 4 was in pieces. Scrapped??
Back on topic, the current crew rest seats on the 330 are very uncofortable. The pax lights from the row behind shine down on your head. At the bulkhead row which is right next to you, there are always families with children, to accommodate the bassinets. Oh, and the potties. So in between passengers bumping your arm as they wait in line for the lav, or accidentally rip the privacy curtain open because they barely fit down the aisle, or a baby (or babies) crying in unison, or the knees from the person behind you digging into your L3 and L4...good luck on the rest. I hope that a decent solution is chosen. A rested crew is a happy crew!!

As surprising as the thought of Tempe planning ahead may be, that may be what they're doing here - looking toward 2010 and the China service. The A332 is somewhat marginal range-wise for that flight and adding a crew rest module would undoubtedly add weight, resulting in even less range margin.

Of course, there's still the "It's cheaper to just use passenger seats for crew rest" argument...

Jim

Hello Jim!

Hope you had a good holiday!

Crew rest on the A332 is not going to be the module. This one is built in and replaces a galley section up front. Minimal weight issue. Those modules that fit in the cargo section weigh as much as 3000 lbs and have to have stairs from the mid galley to get to them. Ceiling height is very limited as well.

Looking at the drawings, this is a heck of a lot better than an envoy seat. It will be nice to have a little privacy.

Guess we'll see for sure in May...

A320 Driver B)

I guess the f/a's will have to cuddle up with the pilots in their rest area. ;) Mile High anyone. Ok I just yacked in my mouth. :lol:

I guess the f/a's will have to cuddle up with the pilots in their rest area. ;) Mile High anyone. Ok I just yacked in my mouth. :lol:

Perish the thought.....next thing you know, those senior pursers from PIT will be spiking the Captain's cranberry juice with the little blue pill. :eek:

Come on girls, do you really need it that bad?

hello US crew,

I work at another airline that actually have the 330 crew rest modules for Flight Attendant(so I am not quite understanding how an individual can state that aircraft is not designed to have them?)
prior to the crew modules, designated block seats with a curtain were used on the DC 10...after the aircraft was substituted with the 330 and installed modules, I...cannot...even begin to tell you the difference regarding taking a break in a seat and actually having a quiet environment with a bunk(especially if the flight is to be 12 hours plus!) and how refreshed and alert you are afterwards..and a bunk is absolutely necessary on any long haul route.

do not give up on this, I personally feel this is a safety issue, and good luck to you all.

do not give up on this, I personally feel this is a safety issue, and good luck to you all.

Pardon my being blunt, but the fact is that the company, the industry and the FAA would not consider the lack of REAL rest space on a 12 hour flight to be a safety issue until there is a smoking hole somewhere that can be directly blamed for that lack. Even then, by the time the investigation is over and recommendations are made, the tragedy is long out of public memory and chances of real change is, at best 50-50.

Don't believe me? Look at this quote in the aftermath of the ValuJet tragedy:

``Our safety agency is called the tombstone agency,'' said Transportation Department Inspector General Mary Schiavo, referring to the FAA. ``Why? Because they wait for a major loss of life before making a safety change.''

Pardon my being blunt, but the fact is that the company, the industry and the FAA would not consider the lack of REAL rest space on a 12 hour flight to be a safety issue until there is a smoking hole somewhere that can be directly blamed for that lack. Even then, by the time the investigation is over and recommendations are made, the tragedy is long out of public memory and chances of real change is, at best 50-50.
in my opinion, crew fatigue can be a serious safety issue ...I honestly cannot imagine why anyone would think it is not?...the idea would be(especially on extended duty flights or those flights of 12 hours) to have adequate and comfortable crew accommodations if the aircraft has the capability to offer such a module.. on long hauls.

Latest posts