Tempe Going CHEAP on the A330-200's

Pardon my being blunt, but the fact is that the company, the industry and the FAA would not consider the lack of REAL rest space on a 12 hour flight to be a safety issue until there is a smoking hole somewhere that can be directly blamed for that lack. Even then, by the time the investigation is over and recommendations are made, the tragedy is long out of public memory and chances of real change is, at best 50-50.

Don't believe me? Look at this quote in the aftermath of the ValuJet tragedy:

``Our safety agency is called the tombstone agency,'' said Transportation Department Inspector General Mary Schiavo, referring to the FAA. ``Why? Because they wait for a major loss of life before making a safety change.''

I haven't read the entire thread but the FAA did issue an Advisory Circular with criteria for crew rest quarters on flights above 12 hours. I know the requirements include privacy, noise levels and communications. The LCC A332s are complient with all requirements of the A.C. I don't know how the flight attendants are effected. I can only speak to flight deck crewmembers.

TTFN

A320 Driver B)

The advisory circular covers flight crew, not just flight deck crew, so any F/A rest provisions need to also be in compliance.

It's actually questionable that an Envoy seat meets the AC requirements:

- Sleeping surface at least 78" x 30"
- PA system should provide only revelant info to crew members in the rest area
- provide a suitable means to insure privacy
- isolation from intrusive noise, odors, and vibration

Jim

The advisory circular covers flight crew, not just flight deck crew, so any F/A rest provisions need to also be in compliance.

It's actually questionable that an Envoy seat meets the AC requirements:

Jim
Thanks for looking that up. I would say that items 2 through 4 would demand an isolate area, unlike what US does now (first pilot rest trans-atlantic always "enjoys" the clinking of USAirways "china" and the duty-free announcements, last rest enjoys the "brunch" service).

Too bad ALPA dropped the ball on this. Hope USAPA can change things, though "past practice" is pretty hard to overcome.

I haven't read the entire thread but the FAA did issue an Advisory Circular with criteria for crew rest quarters on flights above 12 hours. I know the requirements include privacy, noise levels and communications. The LCC A332s are complient with all requirements of the A.C. I don't know how the flight attendants are effected. I can only speak to flight deck crewmembers.

TTFN

A320 Driver B)

The problem with FAA Advisory Circulars is that they are advisory.

The problem with FAA Advisory Circulars is that they are advisory.
Powerful pitch during negotiations, though. Like an "advisory" speed on an off-ramp, for example, they can determine the outcome of a lawsuit, attaining the status of a law, for instance.

Again, the fact that the company is playing hardball about giving flight attendants a proper place to rest on long flights speaks volumes. If anyone in US management that has anything to do with this situation is reading this......TAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES! ! ! ! It's pretty simple. Be an employer that employees are happy to work for. Just do the right thing. :rolleyes:

Again, the fact that the company is playing hardball about giving flight attendants a proper place to rest on long flights speaks volumes. If anyone in US management that has anything to do with this situation is reading this......TAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES! ! ! ! It's pretty simple. Be an employer that employees are happy to work for. Just do the right thing. :rolleyes:
What happen to AFA me too clause

What happen to AFA me too clause
What does that have to do with an FAR that applies to all crews?

They should all get:

and none less.

Parker got 9+ milll. manipulating block times. Why would you "accept" less?

Given what just happened on the CO flight from Brussels, do you think that Tempe will change its mind on crew rest areas on the TLV flight, and the other new A330's?

I think you now have a pretty rock-solid justification for why separate crew rest areas are needed.

Pilots all ready have a crew rest area on the 330-200 and a pilot dying inflight is extremely rare and it would have nothing to do with making a crew rest area

Your right. It actually has to do with management giving a S#!T about their flight attendants. We shall see the outcome.