US Airways Names New Vice President of InFlight Services

Great resume and I wish our new VP the best of luck. When I was but a young pup we lived in Europe for a good part of the 70's, 80's and early 90's. The only airline we traveled home to visit family was Pan-Am. Never once was did their service or attitude faultier. As the end approached I never saw a reduction of their service in any aspect of the airline. I am glad that Tempe has recognized someone with the skills to rebuild our customer service. I look forward to a change but will wait and see if it is realized.

Having worked for him in the past all I can say is best of luck to you all. While he does talk a good line and he has had ome good ideas regarding the inflight product, he lacks integrity. Where the product is concerned he will be a benefit, just don't count on his word or his judgement as both will be sorely lacking.

My first thought as I quickly glanced at his picture on theHub: Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery... :lol:

Everyone keeps talking about how much they hope that this new VP understands the importance of improving the product. I agree 100%. What I also hope he grasps is the importance of signing a contract with AFA that FA's can afford to live under, and fast. A joint contract alone would greatly enhance the morale, which, in turn, would greatly enhance the "product".

WOW! I can't believe US attracted some one of his caliber. If they start to free up the money for good/quality inflight service- he's your man. Congrats! Maybe there is hope at US after al! :up: :up: l

My first thought as I quickly glanced at his picture on theHub: Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery... :lol:

Everyone keeps talking about how much they hope that this new VP understands the importance of improving the product. I agree 100%. What I also hope he grasps is the importance of signing a contract with AFA that FA's can afford to live under, and fast. A joint contract alone would greatly enhance the morale, which, in turn, would greatly enhance the "product".
:lol: And that my dear, is TOTALLY out of his hands. Thats the CFO, Dougie and the board who controls that!

Well said!

I'm curious as to how much influence the VP of Inflight has on Labor Relations

True, but I assume that Tempe must want the VP- Inflight to have some influence. If they just wanted another puppet such as Shamblin seemed to be, they could have kept her around! Why bother with a guy with all this "elegant" experience if Tempe is planning on tying his hands behind his back? I also hope he communicates, frequently and eloquently. There was nothing more pathetic than watching SS at the Crew News Sessions, not saying a word. The few times she opened her mouth, it was never anything that DP or Kirby had not already said. She came off as smug, but in her defense, I do have to wonder how tight her "leash" truly was.

After being at all of those airlines, I sure do hope he understands the importance of labor relations. If he does, it will pay off for US in the long run....

Here is a brief article on Mr. Adler written just prior to leaving NW.

http://www.mywire.com/a/PRNewswire/Hector-...640?&pbl=27

And another from 2003, I enjoyed Mr Adler's coments from when he was an AA flight att.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003/2...-attendants.htm

While I have never met Mr Adler here is my 2 cents. This gentleman seems to have a ton of experiance, like night and day compared to the woman he is replacing. He seems to have both enough intelligence and in-depth knowledge of the industy that he would be well aware of how low US's inflight service levels have sunk since the current management took over. I doubt he would have pursued or accepted this position just to maintain status quo. I am cautiously optomistic he was chosen for the position as Tempe is maybe finally realizing the customer expects and deserves more than they currently recieve. Maybe at this time next year we will have not seen huge changes in Domestic onboard amenities but I have a feeling Envoy may certaintly have a different less cheap feel to it. One thing he can bring to our cabins I hope regardless of how much or little he is given budget wise to improve the product is "Common Sense"

Regards

LGA777

Well I just spoke with a very good friend of mine who was a union rep at NW for several years. I wanted to get his take on this. When he finally finished laughing after I told him US just hired Hector, here's a synopsis of his remarks:

"worthless"

"excellent resume, but brought down NW's inflight service standards and instituted a la cart... service went straight into the toilet"

"Was at American for a little while... they canned him"

"Never stood up for the flight attendants"

"He's all talk and no action"

"I can't believe US hired him"

"The only good thing I can say about him is that after NW filed BK and was treatening to replace everyone with scabs, Hector quit the next day."

So, there you have it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that there will be a big change. Sorry to poo on everyone's picnic.

Listen, everyone well knows that Shambles was in WAY over her head and most agree it's a good things she has moved on....

I've met Hector many times over the years including his years at PanAm and NWA. He's very well-qualified for this postion and UNDERSTANDS what it is flight attendants actually DO. He has a kinda mixed reputation when it comes to labor....but the man DOES know the requirements of providing good customer service.

I'll wait and see...but overall this looks like a very postive move. There is no substitute for real world experience....he could be a welcome addition to US

Well I just spoke with a very good friend of mine who was a union rep at NW for several years. I wanted to get his take on this. When he finally finished laughing after I told him US just hired Hector, here's a synopsis of his remarks:

"worthless"

"excellent resume, but brought down NW's inflight service standards and instituted a la cart... service went straight into the toilet"

"Was at American for a little while... they canned him"

"Never stood up for the flight attendants"

"He's all talk and no action"

"I can't believe US hired him"

"The only good thing I can say about him is that after NW filed BK and was treatening to replace everyone with scabs, Hector quit the next day."

So, there you have it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that there will be a big change. Sorry to poo on everyone's picnic.
Well, when the airlines instituted "a la carte", it was not exactly the most profitable time in the industry. And to his benefit, he does have an impressive resume that includes the likes of "service oriented" companies such as Pan Am. Onboard service at airlines has forever changed, and if the economy continues to remain soft, I suspect that we will see other legacies become leaner. Just my opinion.

As far as your union rep friend, I have found that you have to wade through their "BS" as much as management (esp the PHL council, see sister thread on here :rolleyes: ...)

We'll see what he is given to work with. I just can't believe that US hired a seasoned outsider to come in and maintain the status quo. Could've saved time and promoted another 'yes man' from within.

Thanks for the warning; I'll save my judgment for a few months.

This also is a good move on Tempe's part from the perspective that Mr. Adler has worked with both Robert Isom and Suzanne Boda(VP of East Coast Operations) at NWA. At least we will have some management that is on the same page and has a history of working TOGETHER. They SHOULD be able to get the things done here that need addressing so badly...mainly getting our customers back......

A suggestion to Mr. Adler.....schedule Town Hall meetings in all inflight bases ASAP. Spend time in CLT and PHL and other East cities to get a feel for the enitre operation. Shambles holed up in Tempe fearing to hold meetings in other bases--canceled one in PHL minutes before it was to start...and she never came back.....tells you something...
And get us UNIFIED contracts...unless that gets accomplished soon, the success of US will remain in jeopardy for sure.

Hopefully this is good news for flight crew and customers alike.....

This also is a good move on Tempe's part from the perspective that Mr. Adler has worked with both Robert Isom and Suzanne Boda(VP of East Coast Operations) at NWA. At least we will have some management that is on the same page and has a history of working TOGETHER. They SHOULD be able to get the things done here that need addressing so badly...mainly getting our customers back......

A suggestion to Mr. Adler.....schedule Town Hall meetings in all inflight bases ASAP. Spend time in CLT and PHL and other East cities to get a feel for the enitre operation. Shambles holed up in Tempe fearing to hold meetings in other bases--canceled one in PHL minutes before it was to start...and she never came back.....tells you something...
And get us UNIFIED contracts...unless that gets accomplished soon, the success of US will remain in jeopardy for sure.

Hopefully this is good news for flight crew and customers alike.....

Excuse me!! Hiring this guy means nothing! understand, NIL!! He's only as good as the top brass and, in case you haven't heard, the top brass sucks!!. This unidentifiable airline, has no direction so what difference does it make. Enough said!

I met him when I interviewed for EOS a few years back. The man is pure CLASS. I didn't really like the hiring process at EOS because it was based a lot on looking like a supermodel vs being capable of doing the job. That airline had some of the hottest FA's I had ever seen. As long as those days are behind him, I'm cool with him.

I hope he does bring the supermodel look BACK ASAP!!!! Somebody needs to clean up our "look" Have you seen all the fat cows working and mooing through the aisles. The old guys with beer bellies. Our service sucks and too many crew members have really let themselves go. Put lipstick on that pig already it is needed sooooooooooooo bad...I even hear customers comment on 'i thought flight attendants were supposed to be pretty' or 'look at that old one'

I hope he actually listens to the chairman's comments and fa comments...time will tell.

Don't you guys get all softy over this....Obviously, the guy has job-hopped quite a bit. Don't look for him to do anything differently...he's obviously adopted Managment's culture..otherwise, they wouldn't of hired him.

Latest posts