Us Airways Pilots Put Final Nail In The Coffin!

sometimes you guys crack me up! The sky is falling and the end is near because the pilots changed NO members for hardliners. Blame the pilots its their fault because of their salaries.

Heck I guess the fact that the pilots are the only ones negotiating at this point should cary some weight but .........................

We now return to As the world turns.

RedOne said:
Here is another example of inconsistancy. In the small station I work in, the overnight clearing (?) is done by F/S agents (not contracted out). Normally 3 agents have about 45 minutes to clean (?) aircraft....do security (can't go into explaing that duty). If I read the F/S contract correctly, IF a station does not have utility workers at the station (maint.)...the work can be done by agents. Here again, I feel sure the company has evaluated the sta. and determined they could contract it out cheaper than our F/S agents could do it.
Let's be real. The aircraft don't get cleaned. The trash is gotten off the floor, seat pockets are arranged in the way required so the FAA doesn't fine us and blue rooms hopefully restocked. With this done....the aircraft is CLEAN!
Do we need real cleaners somewhere on the system? We better hope we have some, somewhere. Otherwise, the inside of the airplanes are going to start looking like the outside of the planes do.
It is up to management to present "a plan" showing how they hope to better utilize the employees. The employees can then do one of two things.....agree to the changes....or tell the company no thanks for now, but you can bring it up again (if you choose to) when we go to negotiate our next contract several years down the road (assuming we still exist then).
Redone--

Just to clarify, I was referring to WN here in PDX...At NW, we(the ramp) do all turn and RON cleaning, lav. svc. , and security checks. For what it's worth, I believe utility workers are worth every penny. To those who disagree,700UW touched on it earlier; nothing will make your heart sink quicker than hearing a co-worker say, "I think I just got stuck by/with a needle."

700UW said:
Why don't you tell dave to think out of the box and try to run an airline instead of bleeding the employees to a slow death.

Or if you want to lay off the less then 1,000 left, why don't you personally go to their houses and tell them, and then tell the F/As, you are gonna clean planes and not get paid.

And this company does nothing efficient, they spend a million to save a penny, the IAM has come to them with $80-$100 million in cost savings and the company has not acted upon it.

The fine technicians in the CLT Avionics shop has shown this company they can fix numerous parts in-house, cheaper, better and faster and this company still vendors out the parts. The workers in that shop have drawn up business plan after business plan and proven their case and it goes on deaf ears.

So I take it you are an outsider who thinks they can solve all the problems at US by throwing the workers under the bus who have all ready made tremendous sacrifices just to see dave piss it away.
7800UW:

Your attached image of Dave at the conession stand is very ironic. I doubt that bugger could even run one of those. He would put too much synthetic butter on the popcorn and try to charge the patrons more for it. Jujyfruits would cost another $1.5 billion extra.

700UW said:
WN's employees are one of the highest in pay and benefits, so try again.

2005 rampers will make $24.35 an hour and mechanics $42, while US makes rampers make $19 and US mechs like $26 or $28.
WN's AMT's last contractual pay raise, for our current contract, is Aug '04, not '05. A topped out, dayshift AMT, with 8 yrs, will be making about 36.00 hr, including license pay, etc. You can adjust up or down for years employed and shift worked, but 42.00 isn't even close. UPS may be making that kind of jack, not us.

We also do not have a definded retirement, like you guys. We have a nice 401k with a 7.2 company match.

Hi!

I think it would be an excellent idea for airlines to pay their employees based on the worst possible financial scenario, and then add profit sharing if the conditions are better, that way they don't need to get an labor concessions.

Emirates Airlines is an example. In 2002 they paid their new FO's about $55K. Their bonus was about $15K.

It has been very difficult in all types of industries to try and get concessions from employees when new, lower-cost competition moves in.

I believe that at the "legacy" airlines, both managment, employees, and their unions have still not adjusted for deregulation. They were built under the conditions of regulation, and have not made the major changed required by the deregulated marketplace.

I hope the U survives. I'm sick of seeing great airlines go under.

Cliff
DTW

atpcliff said:
I think it would be an excellent idea for airlines to pay their employees based on the worst possible financial scenario, and then add profit sharing if the conditions are better, that way they don't need to get an labor concessions.
I don't remember if it was Jim, Herb, or Colleen over at Southwest, but when asked about pilot compensation after everyone else but Delta took paycuts, they said something along the lines of:

"We don't try to pay our employees 'industry leading' wages, we pay them a fair wage that we can afford to pay them, and grant generous equity ownership bonuses."

It makes some degree of sense. You provide a fair wage during the bad times, and everyone makes money (off of stock, profit sharing, and equity positions) in the good times.