US Airways sees benefits of charging for drinks

Right, 'part of the ticket' .....and I remember when they used to have gas station attendants who pumped, checked oil, washed windshields too.....when you talked to a real live person when requesting customer service, anywhere, .....when you could find someone who knew something at home depot.....alas those days are gone forever, move on ......oh yeah, and your mortgage and bank were secure investments...

Right, 'part of the ticket' .....and I remember when they used to have gas station attendants who pumped, checked oil, washed windshields too.....when you talked to a real live person when requesting customer service, anywhere, .....when you could find someone who knew something at home depot.....alas those days are gone forever, move on ......oh yeah, and your mortgage and bank were secure investments...
Same at the grocery store....remember when they used to put your groceries in the car... I live in Northern Va and that stopped
lets see about ten years ago.... not a store in Northern Va does that now....
So.... people will get used to this.... just give it time....

I am starting to like it.... as you said.... reduces the lines in the isles... and the pay can't go down any lower... I am at my 1986 wages now..

Same at the grocery store....remember when they used to put your groceries in the car... I live in Northern Va and that stopped
lets see about ten years ago.... not a store in Northern Va does that now....
So.... people will get used to this.... just give it time....

And, in California, it's the opposite. Most grocery stores here offer carryout, either by default or by request. You've got the same problem as US Airways...realizing that you're serving customers from widely different background and from vastly different parts of the country. I go into a grocery store and I expect carry out. I go on a plane, I expect free drinks.

Not everywhere has gone the way of Wal-Mart.

"Flores said that although charging for sodas has damped demand and pared attendants' time with beverage carts, the sales haven't reduced on-board trash. He also repeated the union's earlier concern that taking on responsibility for sales would detract from attendants' ability to ensure cabin safety."

I don't know what flights he's been checking, but the trash is always lower on the flights I have been working.

Myself, I like the program. American's waste to much and if charging makes people think before they just take it is better for the planet.

How about people concerned about personal hydration in a dry environment? The government SEIZES our water bottles at security, thus putting us at the mercy of the airline or the airport vendors...that amounts a post-9/11 government SHAKE DOWN conspiracy if you ask me.

Using a terrorist attack as an excuse to shake down airline passengers for more purchases and for no other legitimate reason other than to make people feel the "illusion" of security.
I agree, and blame the government more than the airlines.

And they didn't use a terrorist attack as an excuse to ban liquids, they used a "thwarted" attack as the excuse. Personally, I woudlnt' be surprised if that whole scenario had been made up by the government; not as an excuse to ban liquids, but as another reason to make people afraid.

Just for your notebook, its cheaper when flying out of SLC to buy on board.
US bottle of water - $2.00
SLC Airport - $2.15

:blink:

While I understand what you are saying to me it's the principle of the thing so I don't care if the airport vendors charge $5.00 a bottle I will not buy on board. I do not think it's right. These customers pay US good money for the ticket & drinks should be included.

And, in California, it's the opposite. Most grocery stores here offer carryout, either by default or by request. You've got the same problem as US Airways...realizing that you're serving customers from widely different background and from vastly different parts of the country. I go into a grocery store and I expect carry out. I go on a plane, I expect free drinks.

Also in California many stores also offer self check out which may be viewed as a version of "ala carte" service.

Some, such as my self find this to be a convenient option.

Please tell the entire story.

Where in Cali? I was out there and found most people to be slow and lazy. Do you get free drinks on the train or bus?

I do not think it's right. These customers pay US good money for the ticket & drinks should be included.
The paradigm has shifted.

,The 1980's fares are going away and things will hopefully find a happy median.

The days of employees subsidizing low fares are, again, hopefully over.

Time will tell. This chronicly? sick airline will either profit from or decline further with these changes.

Is it the prices or the principles that support this airline and its employees livelihoods?

I was out there and found most people to be slow and lazy.
Not finding any IC Light makes you cranky doesn't it.

Try an Anchor Steam instead. Wait, you won't like that either.

You won't find any perogys? either-why leave home?

Stay where you are at, it's much better that way, for all of us.

Bye the way "Cali" is what tourists call California when they've only heard a rap song from the 80's.

As someone who use to commute to PIT once said to me "They don't travel well".

Can't wait for your next visit.

Will not be visiting there PIT,if I can help it, for the rest of my life.

If you don't make it out here again, we won't miss you. You should start a dialogue? with Nome,AK - you rank right in front of them.

You forget that you do not rule the world anymore.

You use to be important but you are not any more.

We will give you an approriate? greeting.

Let's make a totally non binding pact-you stay where are at and I will stay in "Cali".

Thanks.

i dont believe any other US air carrier has charges for drinks i personelly think they should charge (witha good quality) pillow blanket combo set and give drinks snacks for free

Myself, I like the program. American's waste to much and if charging makes people think before they just take it is better for the planet.

So why don't you get US to institute a recycling program like another airline is doing? Then you can feel better about all that waste.

Simple solution but I bet Doug wouldn't follow this other airline's "green" decision because it doesn't bring immediate $$ to US.

The paradigm has shifted.

,The 1980's fares are going away and things will hopefully find a happy median.

The days of employees subsidizing low fares are, again, hopefully over.

Time will tell. This chronicly? sick airline will either profit from or decline further with these changes.

Is it the prices or the principles that support this airline and its employees livelihoods?
I agree 100%. His idea of "good money" is no longer covering the cost of transportation. For years, airline tickets were cheaper than taking a train or a bus. Those days are gone, and the traveling public is in for a reality check. I worked in EWR back in the days when we competed against PE with $19 OW fares, which was as rediculous as it gets. Does this guy think that the cost of fuel can nearly triple, and the fares don't even come close to doubling? You are correct in saying that the employees have been subsidizing low fares for too long. The cost of housing, automobiles, food, etc. have been on a constant rise for a long time. I wish they had a price war between the auto makers, so that I could buy a new car for $5k..... I don't get a free drink or food when I go to a ball game or a race, and those ticket prices ain't all that cheap to begin with. I earn about $2 an hour more than I did back in 1989, and for a few years I went below what I earned at that time. I have always been amazed at how the general public cries and complains about the Airlines and ticket costs, while the cost of everyting else around them is skyrocketing. Is paying $2 for a friggen drink all that important in the scheme of things? I bet many who are complaing about this, will go to a MLB game and pay $5 for a soda and $5 for a Hotdog without saying a word....Pretty silly when you think about it!!!! :blink:

I have always been amazed at how the general public cries and complains about the Airlines and ticket costs, while the cost of everyting else around them is skyrocketing. Is paying $2 for a friggen drink all that important in the scheme of things? I bet many who are complaing about this, will go to a MLB game and pay $5 for a soda and $5 for a Hotdog without saying a word....Pretty silly when you think about it!!!! :blink:

That's the problem........"the general public" has been conditioned over the years to expect a price war for airfare. While the business traveler knows all too well what it costs for last minute, walk up or under 7 day fares.

It's not the fault of the general public to expect lower fares it's the fault of the airlines for not matching the increase in the rising cost of doing business. And as long as there is 1 airline that refuses to raise that bar and stay there none of the others will follow.

For years WN has been touted as the low fare leader when in reality we all know that isn't the case. Often they are higher on some routes where they compete with US. But overall they still price the routes accordingly.

Why won't US and all the other airlines? Competition plain and simple.

So don't place blame on the public when it should be laid at the feet of the airline management.

Latest posts