US Airways sees benefits of charging for drinks

We airline employees, have had to subsidize cheap tickets with huge pay cuts, the loss of benefits and our pensions. All of this, so customers can go to Wally World and pay $250 green fees and $300 for a 5 day car rental. I used to hear this conversation in the boarding area on a regular basis. Now customers expect us to subsidize fuel cost...maybe another 50% pay cut is in order? It is interesting, even with "a la carte" that the load factor at LCC is up year over year. I do not agree with much that management does around here, but it is about time we started charging for sodas; at least until the prices get back up to where they were prior to deregulation. The pendulum is swinging back the other way, finally.

And, in California, it's the opposite. Most grocery stores here offer carryout, either by default or by request. You've got the same problem as US Airways...realizing that you're serving customers from widely different background and from vastly different parts of the country. I go into a grocery store and I expect carry out. I go on a plane, I expect free drinks.

Not everywhere has gone the way of Wal-Mart.

Well, I dont know where in CA you live - but let me tell you, where I live in CA, no one offers carry out for groceries, so maybe you have just been stuck in your own corner of the world for tooo long.. B/c let me tell you, i have been around this country, and the world, and getting your groceries carried out by a worker is EXTREMELY rare... and you know this..

While I understand what you are saying to me it's the principle of the thing so I don't care if the airport vendors charge $5.00 a bottle I will not buy on board. I do not think it's right. These customers pay US good money for the ticket & drinks should be included.

Thats an interesting response. Lets see, grumble about the price of a ticket, then spend 100% more for an airport vendors item. It doesn't compute. In the overall end we'll all get use to it and forget about being embarrassed. When the profits start rolling in we'll all, as employees, possibly have some leverage to regain $ we've lost over the years.

If we are still US ?????

How about people concerned about personal hydration in a dry environment? The government SEIZES our water bottles at security, thus putting us at the mercy of the airline or the airport vendors...that amounts a post-9/11 government SHAKE DOWN conspiracy if you ask me.

Using a terrorist attack as an excuse to shake down airline passengers for more purchases and for no other legitimate reason other than to make people feel the "illusion" of security.

C'mon ''personal hydration'', it's not like we crawl through a
desert to make it to the airport. The goverment does not ''SEIZE'' your water bottles. You give them up or drink
what remains or you can step out of line and finish at your leisure.
''Mercy of the airline'', I can think of the term mercy and in
this case I don't see that applying.
Finally ''SHAKE DOWN'', I'll ask if you know what a shake down is ? no one comes to your home and threatens to
''do this, if you don't I'll do that''.

I do agree though on the illusion of security and the fact that TSA provides nothing in terms of making, at least me,
feel more secure. They have used ,above and beyond the use of fear to impact the flying public.
Yet travel by bus, train , or ship and compare the
security levels. In aviation there is money to be made at the goverment level and they know it. Look at it this way 1 airport
many airlines and services. Bus terminals abound along
with waterways and railway stations. They (gov.) just came to where the money is for now.

Well, I dont know where in CA you live - but let me tell you, where I live in CA, no one offers carry out for groceries, so maybe you have just been stuck in your own corner of the world for tooo long.. B/c let me tell you, i have been around this country, and the world, and getting your groceries carried out by a worker is EXTREMELY rare... and you know this..

I live in the western San Fernando Valley and Ralph's, Albertsons, Vons and the independent groceries always offer help with groceries to the older or infirm looking customers when I'm standing behind them. Doesn't happen in every city in every store, but help with carryout is available in my little corner of the world.

If it were bus's that crashed into the WTC, then there would be TSA at the bus terminals...or cruise terminals, were that the case. Imho, there should be TSA at every point of convance in this country, at every port, every entry point into the country, there should be a wall, 50 ft tall, across both the canadian and mexicam border, with a 250 ft kill zone on both sides. .........Oh, and my grocery chains will also carry your bags to your car for you.

I live in the western San Fernando Valley and Ralph's, Albertsons, Vons and the independent groceries always offer help with groceries to the older or infirm looking customers when I'm standing behind them. Doesn't happen in every city in every store, but help with carryout is available in my little corner of the world.
That is good customer service carrying out for the elderly. That is going the extra step. Would US Management ever think of going that extra step? Heck No. They look at it as the employee on the clock and wasting the Companies money.

That's the problem........"the general public" has been conditioned over the years to expect a price war for airfare. While the business traveler knows all too well what it costs for last minute, walk up or under 7 day fares.

It's not the fault of the general public to expect lower fares it's the fault of the airlines for not matching the increase in the rising cost of doing business. And as long as there is 1 airline that refuses to raise that bar and stay there none of the others will follow.

For years WN has been touted as the low fare leader when in reality we all know that isn't the case. Often they are higher on some routes where they compete with US. But overall they still price the routes accordingly.

Why won't US and all the other airlines? Competition plain and simple.

So don't place blame on the public when it should be laid at the feet of the airline management.
I remember the days of "gas wars" between gas stations, and we all know where they went. Most of the Airlines have tried to keep fares at a profitable level, but there have been several new lower cost airlines popping up all over the place since deregulation began. The legacy carriers have always had to match their fares, which were not always profitable. It's easy for an upstart airline with all new employees at starting pay rate along with the other perks they get to fly from coast to coast for $99. Jetblue is a prime example, once their operating cost advantage vanished, so did their profits. The traveling public is going to have to deal with the loss of dirt cheap airfares, just like they are going to have to the old days of cheap gas and gas wars. Did anyone ever think that they would be slapping down anywhere between $15 and $20k for a compact car such as a Kia or a Hyundai, or $200k+ for a basic home? Airfares are just about the only thing in this country that haven't come close to keeping up with inflation. Pay the fare that will cover the cost, or take a train or bus....
The minute the Airlines raise fares, the public is crying out loud that they are being ripped off. But not a mention of the countless ripp-offs taking place with housing, fuel, can the basic cost of living in general. The cost of a basic car is out of this world, but that's Ok. Everywhere I look there are people drving cars that cost $40k+, and I'm sure they are the same ones crying about paying to check a bag, or paying $2 for a drink.

Who knows, maybe the airlines will find a way to just do what the banking industry did. They can all collude together, create terrible high fares, rip off their employees and customers even more than they already do, charge for everything they possibly can, steal all the profits, and show up at congress for a bailout. Worked well for the banks... What are they waiting for...

Not finding any IC Light makes you cranky doesn't it.

Try an Anchor Steam instead. Wait, you won't like that either.

You won't find any perogys? either-why leave home?

Stay where you are at, it's much better that way, for all of us.

Bye the way "Cali" is what tourists call California when they've only heard a rap song from the 80's.

As someone who use to commute to PIT once said to me "They don't travel well".

Can't wait for your next visit.

Will not be visiting there PIT,if I can help it, for the rest of my life.

If you don't make it out here again, we won't miss you. You should start a dialogue? with Nome,AK - you rank right in front of them.

You forget that you do not rule the world anymore.

You use to be important but you are not any more.

We will give you an approriate? greeting.

Let's make a totally non binding pact-you stay where are at and I will stay in "Cali".

Thanks.
Where are at? BTW I aint from PIT, dont drink IC light, do rule the world, didn't know rap was around in the 80's, and cant wait for "cali" to fall into the ocean. Its people like you that keep me from visiting The OC.

I used to go to the Pavilions at Robertson & Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood. They ALWAYS asked me if I wanted help with my groceries. (Perhaps that is where Bobbie does her shopping?)

I switched to the Ralphs at Pico & Beverwil a few years ago, and now maybe once every few months they ask me if I need help. But I do see them consistently asking elderly people.

Latest posts