US IAM Fleet Service topic 6/28-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose this is after the fact, but does anyone have a clue what Clt was suppose to voter for today ?( That we were not told of at least where I work)
Hey Harry, just a suggestion, maybe you could read the Union notices when they are hung up, they have been up for over a week and it says what you would be voting for. And I know for a fact that some of the GC guys did come around to your work area and let people know. Maybe you were off that day, but anyway they were voting for two people to go to the district 141 convention. I know there were a few people on the ballot who sure would have liked for you to have read that notice and came out to the meeting and voted.

ehhhh... What you say is true, but 5 mph on a rig is enough to kill someone, especially if one or more parties isn't paying attention. That's why they're called ACCIDENTS.

My point was that at those speeds vests will do nothing. Yes a vehicle at 5MPH can kill as easily as at 50MPH. The point was directed at the fact that at 5MPH (and even 25MPH) the speeds are low enough that there is no excuse to not see someone on the ramp, even if they're not wearing a vest, nor is there an excuse to not have the time to take an avoidance measure. It was a point about there not being an added benefit to increased visibility at the low speeds we deal with; we're not on a freeway here.

My point was that at those speeds vests will do nothing. Yes a vehicle at 5MPH can kill as easily as at 50MPH. The point was directed at the fact that at 5MPH (and even 25MPH) the speeds are low enough that there is no excuse to not see someone on the ramp, even if they're not wearing a vest, nor is there an excuse to not have the time to take an avoidance measure. It was a point about there not being an added benefit to increased visibility at the low speeds we deal with; we're not on a freeway here.

What if that fluorescent orange vest is the only thing that makes you take notice of that figure you'll see from your peripheral vision walking behind the mesh of a cart you're driving around? How about the end gates of N1 where the lighting sucks at night. Do you really think that, especially at night, it's just as easy to see someone wearing only our splendid dark blue uniforms as it is to see someone decked out in reflecting fluorescents?

The ACI–NA “Struck Byâ€￾ Questionnaire asked airport operators if tenants, such as airlines,
required high visibility clothing. Table 7 compares injuries with tenant requirements. Over
57 percent of the airport operators reported that all or most of their tenants had requirements for
high visibility clothing. Using a rough comparison of average injuries per airport, the FAA
determined the lowest rate of injuries (where there was more than one airport reporting) occurred
where all tenants required high visibility clothing.

:snip:

Currently, there are no specific OSHA regulations for the aviation industry requiring airport
apron workers to wear high visibility clothing. However, OSHA has used the personal protective
equipment requirements codified at 29 CFR 1910.132(a) and the General Duty Clause,
section 5(a)(1), of the OSH Act to cite airlines for violations.
For example, OSHA cited an
airline for willful violation of both provisions in 1998, after a pilot in Ohio suffered serious but
nonfatal injuries when struck by a vehicle while waiting for a crew bus on an airport apron.

One airline, not currently requiring high visibility clothing, mentioned that a future such
requirement might be necessary if their insurance company felt that high visibility clothing had
become an industry norm. In this case, the airline reported, the insurance company and
regulatory officials might determine that a company not providing high visibility clothing had
not acted prudently and within standard safe industry practices.

Supplemental data from airlines and airport operators indicate that struck by injuries are more
likely to occur at large and medium hub airports where apron configuration and activities are
more complex. The largest number of injuries per operator occurred at large hubs where there
were no high visibility clothing requirements.

The analysis of struck by fatalities and injuries conducted as part of this study was inconclusive
as to the effect high visibility clothing would have had in preventing these accidents. However,
the information provided by the airlines and airports suggests that an overall ramp safety program that includes high visibility clothing would enhance the occupational safety of airport
apron workers.

It's a thankless job for a vest: if it does it's job well you'll never even know it's working. But why even take a chance, remember Remember Charlie? I know "it can never happen to [us]" but why end up in a hospital bed or six feet underground wondering how things would have turned out if you'd just worn your stupid vest? Don't you think that just maybe we owe it to each other and our families to at least make the gesture?

It's a thankless job for a vest: if it does it's job well you'll never even know it's working.

CJ,

I agree entirely with you on this matter. I have worked with a vest and without a vest and I cannot tell the difference in terms of being hotter during the summer. However, it certainly gave me more justification to go-off on someone with a near miss if he claimed that he couldn't see me while I was wearing reflective tape on a flame orange vest.

I read somewhere once that a person's vision in a normal mode has about a 30 degree angle with clear vision straight ahead, and an additional 60 degrees being just peripheral vision. Furthermore, if focussed on a task, then the clear vision angle is reduced down to just 6 degrees which is a very narrow tunnel, thus we rely upon the peripheral vision to see approaching objects. Someone in a reflective vest would be much easier to be seen in the fuzzy peripheral area of sight when outside of the ideal clear vision angle.

Thank-you for citing actual studies on vest safety as conducted by OSHA instead of people arguing their personal experience in a less than scientific manner. Unfortunately, most safety manuals are written in blood so that someone either had to have been seriously injured or killed before policies were changed.

So Commends Jester.

One time I was walking across the ramp and a stray bullet deflected off of my vest. Thank god for the vest!
I can't believe how much ink this vest issue gets.

On to more important news. Any word on new station closings after the summer?

On to more important news. Any word on new station closings after the summer?

While I can't answer that question, in Clt there will be no last bank of flights from Sept till just before Thanksgiving on Mo. & Tu. We are having a new station bid to be effective 14Sept. Quite frankly I'm alittle scared tp even guess. I've been told they are going to be asking people to take vto. Maybe some of the other Charlotte people can post more info.

The vests are a waste. Just another thing someone sat around and had nothing to do so they implemented them.

Just like in the west where we had to wear steel-toed shoes on the ramp until the merger. I'm thankful we got rid of that...And I don't see any foot injuries from that being gone.

The vests are a waste. Just another thing someone sat around and had nothing to do so they implemented them.

Just like in the west where we had to wear steel-toed shoes on the ramp until the merger. I'm thankful we got rid of that...And I don't see any foot injuries from that being gone.

I fully agree on the vests, but respectfully disagree on the shoes... As someone that's had their foot run over at least twice, and had numerous "run ins" with LD3's & BMCs, I'd say they're a good thing.

I fully agree on the vests, but respectfully disagree on the shoes... As someone that's had their foot run over at least twice, and had numerous "run ins" with LD3's & BMCs, I'd say they're a good thing.

I agree 100% on the shoes. Before the merger at Piedmont we were required to wear them & have the shoes shined on top of that. I sure the old timers at CLT remember good ole R.J. :D :D

While I can't answer that question, in Clt there will be no last bank of flights from Sept till just before Thanksgiving on Mo. & Tu. We are having a new station bid to be effective 14Sept. Quite frankly I'm alittle scared tp even guess. I've been told they are going to be asking people to take vto. Maybe some of the other Charlotte people can post more info.

eh bad things are going to happen in september seems to be the general feel out there ... i hear their going to do stuff here in PHX as well similar to what your going to see in CLT ... :unsure:

eh bad things are going to happen in september seems to be the general feel out there ... i hear their going to do stuff here in PHX as well similar to what your going to see in CLT ... :unsure:

Mr. Kool-Aid...

The sky ain’t fallin’ in CLT! We goin’ to expand internationally by 25 gates by 2011! CLT is now in the top ten airports in this country for passenger traffic, with an optimistic
forecast for additional growth by all business leaders familiar with the matter! CLT will continue to introduce additional IAM Fleet Service positions as we grow.

We will work safe and smart...as we prepare to enter negotiations for a new CBA that will erase, and ultimately improve upon the concessions that were shoved up our a** by the ‘gone but not forgotten’ Canale regime abrogation travesty!

Solidarity...

ROABILLY

Mr. Kool-Aid...

The sky ain’t fallin’ in CLT! We goin’ to expand internationally by 25 gates by 2011! CLT is now in the top ten airports in this country for passenger traffic, with an optimistic
forecast for additional growth by all business leaders familiar with the matter! CLT will continue to introduce additional IAM Fleet Service positions as we grow. We will work safe and smart...as we prepare to enter negotiations for a new CBA that will erase and improve upon the concessions shoved up our a** by the ‘gone but not forgotten’ Canale regime abrogation travesty!

Solidarity...

ROABILLY

no roa ...

The sky is falling everywhere , perhaps just not as badly in CLT as in PHX , but it falls nonetheless ..

I don’t know where your getting your “growth forecasts “ but when you can show me a recovery on the national level I’ll listen to what you have to say … As yet there are no signs of recovery for the US economy .

Status
Not open for further replies.