757 Year Round Phl-snn-dub-phl

The Privatair Airbus is a 319, which I believe has extra fuel tanks because its capacity is only 48 to 50 passengers. I am not sure a normally configured 319 could carry a full load and enough fuel for ETOPS transatlantic flight.

There is alot of speculation regarding a year round service to Ireland next year, due to a very
profitable season for SNN and DUB. We believe SNN will have a 757 (From AWA fleet etops)
and Dub will have the 767 in the summer and will share the 757 in the winter ie a wrap
service PHL-DUB-SNN-PHL.
Anybody else heard about this? the 757 is a definate for SNN and GLA for next season..

The governement has not changed the rules you still have to fly to SNN if you want to fly to DUB and the economics don't work for SNN in the winter. The ideal summer schedule is to fly SNN in the summer with 57, and put the 767 somewhere else. Without the government rules SNN would see far less air service - thus the restriction.

Total dillusion - don't they realize these flights are generally packed and people do pay for service on longer flights...Maybe since our new management has had no experience in that market they are one step behind. But with all do respect you should do research on the subject and find that most airlines are offering a far superior product and at the same price or slightly higher by a fraction. Decreasing service is a big no-no in the eyes of the passengers and it will only hurt our already scarred business!!
I agreee you need a good product in your front cabin, however paid business class is probably not as high as you think, full C class cabins can be decieving in the summer.

The governement has not changed the rules you still have to fly to SNN if you want to fly to DUB and the economics don't work for SNN in the winter. The ideal summer schedule is to fly SNN in the summer with 57, and put the 767 somewhere else. Without the government rules SNN would see far less air service - thus the restriction.
I agreee you need a good product in your front cabin, however paid business class is probably not as high as you think, full C class cabins can be decieving in the summer.

Continental, Delta And AA operate in the winter, so not sure about the economics comment.
Continental had a 90 % load factor for last winter out of SNN. wrapping the flight thru DUB in the
winter will mean alot of full flights for the winter... equals money!! $$$$$

Did I miss something in this post? Are they changing the "envoy" class name to "business class"? Where did we hear that? As far as service cutbacks. My understand, from a conversation with upper management about international service...(someone in that area). There are not many plans to change existing service standards for the pax on intl routes anytime soon. This will be done over time, as this is a low cost carrier some things may have to be trimmed a bit...don't forget, this management has been successful at setting trends in the past. The Star Alliance also plays a role in what they are willing to change or not change. As far as a/c configuration goes...generally, if an capital investment will not produce revenue return within 1 year, it is usually put on hold. Thats one reason why HP entertainment system has not been updated...and some seats have not been replaced etc, ..ie, Row 8abc on the 757...worst seats!!! Ask any hp FA.

You know, I noticed that HP metal flying PHL-SNN would be in violation of the ALPA transition agreement. Now I don't doubt that ALPA will grant relief, as they always do. But I think it'll be interesting to see if this management seeks relief ahead of time, or just goes ahead with their plans and dares ALPA to grieve it. That'll go a long way I think in showing just how labor friendly DP and his team are.

Did I miss something in this post? Are they changing the "envoy" class name to "business class"? Where did we hear that?

Probably decided by the same idiot who got rid of the powerports. Oh, wait, I forgot, they're trying to blame that on US management and act like they had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

This will be done over time, as this is a low cost carrier some things may have to be trimmed a bit...don't forget, this management has been successful at setting trends in the past.

I really don't mean any offense, but some of you HP people just have no idea as to what's already been trimmed. I hear you guys tell US f/a's to get ready to downgrade their service all the time, since this is an LCC now. Well guess what, the service is already downgraded, more than HP in some instances. There's nothing left to trim. This is the carrier that doesn't use glass in FC after all. Envoy is a shell of what it once was, and is only still competitive thanks to the wonderful A330. It's painfully clear that HP management is more than a bit lost when it comes to the transatlantic market, but it appears that they'd rather just make it up as they go along instead of finding out what worked for the old US.

Did I miss something in this post? Are they changing the "envoy" class name to "business class"? Where did we hear that? As far as service cutbacks. My understand, from a conversation with upper management about international service...(someone in that area). There are not many plans to change existing service standards for the pax on intl routes anytime soon. This will be done over time, as this is a low cost carrier some things may have to be trimmed a bit...don't forget, this management has been successful at setting trends in the past. The Star Alliance also plays a role in what they are willing to change or not change. As far as a/c configuration goes...generally, if an capital investment will not produce revenue return within 1 year, it is usually put on hold. Thats one reason why HP entertainment system has not been updated...and some seats have not been replaced etc, ..ie, Row 8abc on the 757...worst seats!!! Ask any hp FA.

The name change does not reflect any reduction to the Envoy service.. It just
simplifies the class of service, as many are not familiar with "Envoy"...

This is a bit off topic but deals with the Biz class comment. It's funny. Some US/West people say that HP is not about reducing service in FC, but then they say that they are all about streamlining costs. It will be interesting to see what they will do. US/Wests' FC domestic product isn't bad--they have glassware--I don't need glassware, but people like it. The food is much better, but they have no snack basket. I have liked flying US/West after the merger--I really think that the HP/West people, overall, are really great--from the FA's, the ticket agents, to the gate agents. They have all smiled, and said thank you, etc. etc. The work well with their other fellow employees. I'm sure there are exceptions, but someone is doing something right. Anyway, after flying US West, I am hopeful that the new management realizes that there are pax who pay a premium for premium service and that Envoy/Biz Class/Whatever you want to call it now caters to biz people who pay a lot for their tickets and who will demand a certain level of service.

What about those coroprate A320s? And PrivatAir, they fly A320s from Europe.. do they have extra fuel tanks or something?

SpinDoc replies:

They only have 60 First Class seats in the
PrivatAir A320's. This along with extra
fuel tanks give the plane plenty of range
to go from Europe to the U.S. East Coast.

You know, I noticed that HP metal flying PHL-SNN would be in violation of the ALPA transition agreement. Now I don't doubt that ALPA will grant relief, as they always do. But I think it'll be interesting to see if this management seeks relief ahead of time, or just goes ahead with their plans and dares ALPA to grieve it. That'll go a long way I think in showing just how labor friendly DP and his team are.
Probably decided by the same idiot who got rid of the powerports. Oh, wait, I forgot, they're trying to blame that on US management and act like they had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:
I really don't mean any offense, but some of you HP people just have no idea as to what's already been trimmed. I hear you guys tell US f/a's to get ready to downgrade their service all the time, since this is an LCC now. Well guess what, the service is already downgraded, more than HP in some instances. There's nothing left to trim. This is the carrier that doesn't use glass in FC after all. Envoy is a shell of what it once was, and is only still competitive thanks to the wonderful A330. It's painfully clear that HP management is more than a bit lost when it comes to the transatlantic market, but it appears that they'd rather just make it up as they go along instead of finding out what worked for the old US.

Don't misunderstand...management is very well aware of the complexity of international markets and how service reductions will affect that, so whatever you have done so far as far as reduction..don't expect much less at this point. I think HP West people don't realize how much you have cut back on first class servie thus far, so if you could clarify maybe it's just understood that you were a high cost carrier for many reasons, so it's assumed service standards may have been higher too. HP employees may not understand the extent of your cutbacks thus far.

To add to this...Hp currently uses plastic glasses for pre-departure service in 1st. Glassware is used during flight with plastic knives and metal forks and spoons, but FA's create the tray setup from bulkloaded trays in most markets. Generally on flights before 900am, hp serves granola and yogurt with a croissant (no butter) and some berries or Waffles with berries and syrup..no butter. Lunch is warm Chicken caeser salad with a very hard breadstick and either a brownie, blondie or warm apple cobbler ..all served on the tray at once or lasagna with side salad or some sort of pasta..it varies. Thats a nuthsell on the service on HP

Don't misunderstand...management is very well aware of the complexity of international markets and how service reductions will affect that, so whatever you have done so far as far as reduction..don't expect much less at this point. I think HP West people don't realize how much you have cut back on first class servie thus far, so if you could clarify maybe it's just understood that you were a high cost carrier for many reasons, so it's assumed service standards may have been higher too. HP employees may not understand the extent of your cutbacks thus far.

US/West people always talk about how good their FC product is--they say that mgmt recognizes that people pay a premium for FC and expect a certain level of service, but a lot of them also say that the name should be changed to "Business Class" rather than FC so that people's expectations will not be as high. I tend to agree with that. I will say this, I have taken 6 flights in FC in the past few weeks in FC and the service has been outstanding on all of the flights. I think you are right about perception--I think a lot of US/West people think there is a lot of fluff in the amenities offered by US when in reality there is more fluff on the West side of the operation. For example, the clubs--free drinks, free food, free internet! SWEET--I'm loving the clubs in PHX and LAS.

Initially, i hated the idea of changing the name from Envoy to Biz Class-but, it makes sense--it describes the product that is being sold.

You know, I noticed that HP metal flying PHL-SNN would be in violation of the ALPA transition agreement.

West crews & metal can fly 2 daily European roundtrips per the transition agreement. Also 2 daily Caribbean.

Jim

West crews & metal can fly 2 daily European roundtrips per the transition agreement. Also 2 daily Caribbean.

Jim

The exact language is:

The current and announced flying, as of the effective date of this
agreement, between points west of the Mississippi River and the
State of Hawaii will be flown by America West pilots. The current
and announced flying, as of the effective date of this agreement,
between points east of the Mississippi River and Europe or the
Caribbean will be flown by US Airways pilots. Notwithstanding
the above, up to two daily round trips to Europe, up to two daily
round trips to the Caribbean, and one daily round trip to Hawaii
may be flown by pilots of the other airline.

I read that to mean HP can fly 2 *new* trips to Europe, but can't touch any of the existing flying, such as SNN.

The exact language is:
I read that to mean HP can fly 2 *new* trips to Europe, but can't touch any of the existing flying, such as SNN.

I read it the other way.....the "notwithstanding" applies to current flying while new routes can be put anywhere (with the caveat that East crews fly East metal and vice versa till integration).

One thing for sure - one of us is right. :shock:

Jim

The other thing for sure - US will interpret it however it damn well pleases, regardless of what the contract actually says. And ALPA will do nothing about it. ;)

Seriously, though, I don't think ALPA should have a problem with it. It's not like the HP flying would be replacing 767 lines--the 767 flying would just go to other destinations. More block hours for US, too, since Ireland is as close as it gets to PHL.