Can we talk service?

Travelpro72

Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
I keep hearing how Hector wants to make big changes to our product but what are they really? I'm going to bring up a few things that I feel need changed. First of all the issue of the snack box in coach was brought up in a crew news session over a year ago with no change made to date. Doug's exact words were, "If there is time to SELL in coach then there is time to SERVE in first". If you have a flight long enough to sell the box something besides the snack basket should be offered in first class. Little things DO go a long way. Offering first class customers on domestic a simple bagel and cream cheese cannot be that expensive. Offer it on flights over an hour and a half. I mean c'mon. How about on early flights offering your first class passengers a USA Today newspaper. Again, only in the morning. Now for the cup.......where is the new one. A little goes a long way. For a company that is so cost conscious I just think it is crazy for them not to implement a smaller cup. You can use less ice and product in a smaller cup in turn keeping your usage down onboard. For those passengers that are asking for two and three drinks will get it but not as much. It appears to the customer that they are offered a refill or were given the three drinks they asked for. It's all perception. Doing juice and water on transatlantic you would use much less product with a smaller cup. How about all of the STAR carriers going in on a standard cup of sorts? Same goes for napkins. You have a company filled with management who's primary decision comes to cost, cost, cost. Little things CAN be done that appear as improvements while saving the company money.

We can talk service...or lack thereof...

First, lets remember what Mr. Parker said, "this industry is focused too much on what the customer wants on the soft side, when it should be more focused on simply flying."

No Mr. Parker, it's only you that is not focused on the customers.

And this customer has exited the building for greener, and they really are greener, pastures, some time ago. Hell, even WN offers more service, by quite a lot, than US. Sure Mr. Parker, it's a different airline, different product, different cost structure...but guess what? It's MUCH better....even if it is different.

Not to pig pile on...but I flew DL last week...on NW metal. First of all, "is there a merger going on? I wouldn't guess."

Second...I was on a CRJ900....and it had a comfortable First Class....and I was served a full meal. At lunch, in F, on a friggin CRJ! And guess what? It was actually pretty tasty, substantial and much appreciated. ON A CRJ!!!

Lunch_on_NW_3499.jpg

The other airlines are KILLING US in terms of customer service. KILLING US.

I'm actually flying US tomorrow...and instead of "looking forward" to the trip, I am, at best, indifferent and frankly, I would be happier if I had another option. But, for where I'm going, it's the only option...and that's sadly what US is relegated for me....(a.) when there is no other option or (b.) when there is a financial reason to fly them.

But PVD-PHL-PVD? I don't even price US any more...I bet I do that route as much as I fly to SFO from PVD...minimum, once a month, sometimes more....I might be paying double to fly WN and I wouldn't even know...I don't even think of US as an option.

Sad.

Over the past year or so I have been flying a number of airlines, including CO, DL, AA and WN, as well as B6. I would have to say that US at the time of my last flight on them (about 2 years ago) was inferior product wise in every way... I am sorry to see nothing has changed. I sincerely miss many of my friends on the front line, but refuse to give a dollar of my money to a management who considers employees and customers a liability rather than an asset.

Not only has Doug said that the industry is too focused on the customer, he has made disparaging statements elsewhere on Chairmans' Preferred members, and other elite flyers who have helped keep the lights on over the years. He and Scott have made statements over the years which show how little they actually care about the product, it's all about the money.

They are so disconnected from the reality of the market that they are actually GLAD that many business travelers have left and that US is now a preferred carrier for itinerant leisure travelers. Dividend Miles now has a new category--Kettle Preferred.

During my ventures elsewhere, I'd have to say I was most impressed (and remain so) with Continental and Delta--and particulary on the LCC side by WN and B6. Both show explicitly that they value ALL customers tremendously, and especially business travelers in the case of CO and DL. I have had some outstanding customer service experiences on both, and on the one or two occasions where hiccups occurred, the issues were resolved proactively, and in a more than acceptable manner. Even one attempt on WN to move up a flight was greeted with "I'd be happy to do that for you" rather than NO.

At the end of the day, it's apparent US does not care about product or service. If they could find a way to take the seats out and put benches in they would.....it's sad, but it appears to be true.

Maybe with a management change brought on by merger or other event, things will change, but add the exodus of higher yielding customers to the labor discord on the pilots' side, and the future is looking most bleak for US Airways.

My BEST to you all.

I just got off of a PHL-IAH flight on CO.lunch flight. First class. Movie. Pre-departure drink. Hot towels. Almonds. Choice between some wrap or salad with shrimp. Fruit salad. Bread basket. Cookies. What's US's service? Snack basket?

Well I would agree that good on board service is more important than Mr Parker says, with that said though in this economy I think right now he has it right.
The business traveler is more concerned about price, being there on time, and getting my bag. If you look at the stats lately US is doing well and improving in all of those category.
Right now I think US is in survive mode, and hoping for that next merger to come along before the economy turns around. If it does.

The business traveler is more concerned about price, being there on time, and getting my bag. If you look at the stats lately US is doing well and improving in all of those category.
Expect an executive wake-up call when it comes to "on time".

I don't think you'll see any service changes until the Fall. When Hector came aboard the summer schedule had already been set. From everything I've been hearing he has slowly been consolidating his control over Inflight and everything that comes in direct contact with it.

I had a chance to speak with him and he seems to know where he wants to take Inflight and the onboard product. I can't wait to see what he does in the future.

I don't think you'll see any service changes until the Fall. When Hector came aboard the summer schedule had already been set. From everything I've been hearing he has slowly been consolidating his control over Inflight and everything that comes in direct contact with it.
Can't wait to see the no-loads in PHL inflight leaving for the unemployment office...that would be the true test.

I don't have a doubt in my mind that Hector being picked as VP of inflight was the right choice. But I don't understand what the flight schedule being set has to do with offering your first class passengers a cold salad for lunch or a bagel in the morning. I know everything comes across so simple and employees believe change can be made with the snap of a finger but how hard could it really be to do it? I'll bring up the snack box to Florida again. It's been HOW LONG now yet we find first class customers being offered the tired and I do mean TIRED snack basket while someone who very well could be on the famed $89.00 ticket is offered a choice to buy a snack? It's insane and a slap in the face to every first class passenger who has either shelled out a business fare or many tickets to get "that upgrade". It's this kind of crap that just ticks me off about what management does at times. Uggggggh. :rolleyes:

US uses any and every excuse. They act like any change is an insurmountable hurdle. Conversely, CO has made changes very quickly--like when they stopped serving ice cream sundaes and stopped menus on certain transcon flights, pax complained and they reversed course and implemented the change very quickly.

Latest posts