Could American Airlines adopt an all-new livery?

Diamondbacks2004

Advanced
Mar 29, 2004
Could American Airlines adopt an all-new livery with same AA eagle logo in 21st century? It has not changed since 1970.....

Could American Airlines adopt an all-new livery with same AA eagle logo in 21st century? It has not changed since 1970.....

Maybe....As long as the fleet remains "Silver." We don't need to start painting aircraft which adds weight.

Maybe the "AA" on the tail can be spruced up a bit.

Painted aircraft are nice given a good scheme. But unless the company is willing to invest in the proper upkeep and washing of an all painted fleet, then don't. Painted aircraft that are neglected appearance wise look far worse than than AA's silver fleet even when dulled.

Of course they could adopt a new livery. However why mess with something as timeless as the current one? It still looks as good today as it did when it first appeared. Then there's the fact that it would cost money to come up with a new one. Money that really does not need to be spent.

The "silver" look won't be around forever, the next generation of aircraft will have composite fuselages.

True, although with wider use of GLARE, you could still wind up with a bare metal exterior...

Actually, the current livery was adopted in 1968.

With the all-composite exteriors of future aircraft like the 787, the shiny exterior is likely to go away. Too bad chrome plating is too heavy. :D

I would not mind if they brought back the design they have on the 73/75 that are flying around. Looke like a lighting bolt on the side. I saw that and thought it had a nice touch. Maybe because it was just different.

I think the aircraft nose that we see on all print and internet advertisements would look nice on the aircraft verticals along with a new AA.

That touch combined with the AA.com on the winglets would look great with the silver birds.

Let the bankrupt carriers keep trying to re-invent themselves. Seems to be the only ones in need of a new identity. The current look is all American red, white, blue and timeless.

Cough, Cough,

Maybe AA should spell American in Spanish nn the sides of the aircraft near the front? :down:

Let the bankrupt carriers keep trying to re-invent themselves. Seems to be the only ones in need of a new identity. The current look is all American red, white, blue and timeless.

i agree...besides why piss more money down the drain!

i agree...besides why piss more money down the drain!

Well, as a point of comparison, Delta, United and US Airways changed their liveries at least once in the last 10 years (plus a small change at NW). Oh, OK, I see what you're saying. Never mind. ;)

PLEASE don't change the livery.........TIMELESS and pure CLASS! Whenever I see an AA ad and see that "Shining Silverbird" I think its represents the US in a way that everyone admires in our country. "All that glitters isn't gold but AA is the BEST, Hands Down"

While it's true that those other carriers have changed liveries, they also have painted aircraft. Assuming the paint has to be stripped every ten years or so, the incremental cost of putting a different livery on the fuselage after a MBV or heavy C is negligible.

Well, as a point of comparison, Delta, United and US Airways changed their liveries at least once in the last 10 years (plus a small change at NW). Oh, OK, I see what you're saying. Never mind. ;)

US Airways - 3 times (If you include MetroJet)

Delta - 3 times (If you include Song)

United - 3 times (If you include TED)

Back