CWA/Teamster labor thread -

P The smaller Stations will go Regional, no more Jet Express. They will agree that this crappy contract will not change unless we put over 2000 UsAirways employees in smaller stations out of work. Do you think that PHX, CLT and PHL will care about the other Stations?

Without strong scope language no one - including those in the hubs - is safe from outsourcing. Right now, EMB-170 are considered "mainline equivalent" and must be worked by mainline. Should they be considered "Express", a great mamy hub jobs would vanish.

Sure, an extra dollar or two/hour - or another vacation week - would be nice. But would not really matter if the jobs go to PDT.

Without strong scope language no one - including those in the hubs - is safe from outsourcing. Right now, EMB-170 are considered "mainline equivalent" and must be worked by mainline. Should they be considered "Express", a great mamy hub jobs would vanish.

Sure, an extra dollar or two/hour - or another vacation week - would be nice. But would not really matter if the jobs go to PDT.
Will CWA Locals become majority express locals will express consume the resources at the locals the company will love to whipsaw the two groups
CWA leadership needs a plan to stay in front of Glass and gang. His group can and will try every tacit "whipsawing"

Whipsawing is when workers within a company compete with each other to perform work cheaper. It may involve successive surprise strikes by a union against one after another of the various employers in an industry or in an employer's association so that no employer knows which one will be "sawed off" next.
Whipsawing Law & Legal Definition
http://definitions.uslegal.com/w/whipsawing/

Whipsawing is also referred to as "leapfrogging. Whipsawing may consist of a practice in which one in a group of several unions dealing with the same employer refuses to settle until it receives better wages or benefits than have been settled on with the other unions.

Will CWA Locals become majority express locals will express consume the resources at the locals the company will love to whipsaw the two groups
CWA leadership needs a plan to stay in front of Glass and gang. His group can and will try every tacit "whipsawing"

Whipsawing is when workers within a company compete with each other to perform work cheaper. It may involve successive surprise strikes by a union against one after another of the various employers in an industry or in an employer's association so that no employer knows which one will be "sawed off" next.
Whipsawing Law & Legal Definition
http://definitions.uslegal.com/w/whipsawing/

Whipsawing is also referred to as "leapfrogging. Whipsawing may consist of a practice in which one in a group of several unions dealing with the same employer refuses to settle until it receives better wages or benefits than have been settled on with the other unions.

It has worked on the Express pilots, and against mainline pilots for years .....

Hope it doesn't happen ..... but .... If Piedmont takes over a mainline job/city and you end up staying and working for Piedmont are you eligible to keep working and start drawing your PBGC retirement (pocket change) when you turn 55. It wouldn't cost the company an extra penny.

Question on Mainline Express

While the MLE pay scale is now the same as mainline sans the $ 0.25 "customer contact premium", Mainline Express still exists. Some questions:

- What are the remaining contract differences? Something to do with recall rights?

- How many MLE stations are there?

- What stations are MLE?

- Any word on if CWA will try to get rid of the MLE provision in the new contract?

Here's your problem with CWA. Larry Cohen has Verizon and State of NJ among other on the brain. 10,000 US Airways jobs are a dues drop in the bucket and as a result you'll get precious little help. IBT? Same thing, do you work for UPS? Nope so you're all just so much shite on Hoffa and Cohen's shoes.

If you want to win you have to rely on each other. You have two enemies and barely enough resources for one fight. CWA/IBT national will squabble over money for the struggle while you suffer and in the end they'll abandon you in order to get a settlement that won't upset their revenue stream or their bigger locals.

Then of course their is Jerry Glass and the Company to fight and he is as most know a formidable foe. A union buster of the first order. So what can you do? Several things.

While you might be several years from a contract/strike NOW would be the time to start a strike fund. The bigger it grows the better your chances get. No airline can hold out more than a week or two at most and if you have funds enough to keep your people whole for two weeks you'll kick Jerry Glass square in the arse.

Hire professional negotiators and not one provided by CWA/IBT National as they do not have your best interests at heart. No one can serve a National and a local objectively. You need someone who has the savvy, skills and balls to metaphorically beat Jerry Glass like a red headed step child.

This fight is in your hands, time to stand and deliver.

Then of course their is Jerry Glass and the Company to fight and he is as most know a formidable foe. A union buster of the first order. So what can you do? Several things....

.....Hire professional negotiators and not one provided by CWA/IBT National as they do not have your best interests at heart. No one can serve a National and a local objectively. You need someone who has the savvy, skills and balls to metaphorically beat Jerry Glass like a red headed step child.

This fight is in your hands, time to stand and deliver.

Great post, Sparrow. Professional negotiators would be great, certainly better than Velvet!

Great post, Sparrow. Professional negotiators would be great, certainly better than Velvet!

I think I met Ms Velvet once! If she is who I think she is and based on a short conversation I don't think she is capable of going head to head with me much less Jerry Glass. Don't get me wrong she seems like a nice lady. However the last thing you need when you do battle with Jery Glass is nice. People like Glass see nice as a sign of weakness.

I don't know if I could go face to face with the man but I'll tell you this, He would know he was in a fight because at the very least I'd probably get so pissed off I'd throw a pitcher of water on him and tell him to F'off. Oddly enough that tactic sometimes works. Not often though.

Putting Velvet in the arena with Glass would be like having a house cat facing a lion.

I think I met Ms Velvet once! If she is who I think she is and based on a short conversation I don't think she is capable of going head to head with me much less Jerry Glass. Don't get me wrong she seems like a nice lady. However the last thing you need when you do battle with Jery Glass is nice. People like Glass see nice as a sign of weakness.....

....Putting Velvet in the arena with Glass would be like having a house cat facing a lion.

I've never met her; I'm sure she is nice. But I also know of her track record in CWA vs Tempe arbitration --- I am sure you would have done better. (You could not have done worse.) Not that I would want to face Mr Glass.

I've never met her; I'm sure she is nice. But I also know of her track record in CWA vs Tempe arbitration --- I am sure you would have done better. (You could not have done worse.) Not that I would want to face Mr Glass.

All Union Buster attorney's have a weak spot, the trick is to find it and exploit it. A huge strike fund would really help level the playing field as ALL union busters break the law regularly and the unions don't have or won't spend the resources. If Glass see's a vibrant CWA/IBT with a strike fund that will enable the workers to stay out for 90 days then the balance of power shifts

Velvet is FOR Res not ATO Agents.
Replace her...

As I've pointed out before, IMHO, airport C/S agents have more in common with their ramp colleagues than with the res folks. Both groups of station agents would have been better served being in the same union. Not that IAM would have been a good choice for the CSA considering how they threw the out station folks under the bus.

SEIU, anyone?

Latest posts

Back