US Pilots Labor Discussion 2/10- STAY ON TOPIC AND OBSERVE THE RULES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Jim,

It is kind of simple.....it makes money. Listen to the "crew news" in JAN at CLT. Parker states "the PHL and CLT do well for us even though they are not mega hubs like ATL or DFW. He didn't mention PHX at all in his remarks. It comes down to yields, volume, and location. Face it pal, we have the goods and you want them. We don't want you to have them. Have you hugged a saguaro today?

inverted
Well there is the hard evidence that we were all looking for.

Could it be that Parker tailors his message for the audience? You did say that he was in CLT, an east crowd. Listen to Parker at a PHX meeting. Slightly different and west centric speech.

You do remember when Parker said that US Airways would have been out of business in a few days without AWA right. But maybe you don't believe that statement only the ones you want to believe.

Well there is the hard evidence that we were all looking for.

Could it be that Parker tailors his message for the audience? You did say that he was in CLT, an east crowd. Listen to Parker at a PHX meeting. Slightly different and west centric speech.

You do remember when Parker said that US Airways would have been out of business in a few days without AWA right. But maybe you don't believe that statement only the ones you want to believe.

Yes, it could be Parker catering to the crowd. I personally think that none of us know what will happen...not even Parker. As factors change in the industry.....so does the potential outcome. Nothing is set in stone. The NIC is not, a merger is not, nor is a breakup of the two. This board is nothing but comic relief. The outcome will be decided for what is best for the corporation at a time which forces Parker's hand. As cash runs out.....his options become fewer and the outcome could surprise us all. I don't see us an independent viable carrier as is. My opinion.

Inverted

2007 Largest American Cities by population

Phoenix #5
Philadelphia #6
Charlotte #19

Which would you pick for a hub? Plus you have ATC congestion at PHL that cannot be overcome without major reductions in WAS or NYC.

Plus PHX has yet to be closed for 36 hours because of 14" of snow.

I am confident that the limitations to rerouting passengers during the Philly Whiteout due to the segregation of crews was not overlooked by Parker and Co. This could be the impetus to pushing for consolidation.

Largest metropolitan areas in the US:

#5 Philadelphia
#12 Phoenix
#34 Charlotte

I see your bet and raise you one hub.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_Unit...atistical_Areas

Always? Remind me - which city had the only hub for US (and it's various names) for the first 40+ years of it's existence?

Jim

That's an easy one. And, as a former Piedmonster yourself, I am surprised you even asked that question as you, too, lived through the merger in 1987-89.

"We're All American/Allegheny/USAir. That's the way we've always done it here."

Yet PHL is #11 on the list of cities ranked by O&D traffic - behind #9 PHX. It appears, despite the two people you know who don't drive to NYC/IAD, that PHL generates far less O&D traffic than it should for it's population base.

Tell me again why PHL, with it tremendous amount of O&D traffic, would be such a great asset to another legacy...

Jim
OK, I will. LCC has PHL under lock for the most part. There is no room for expansion. SWA just added on to the end of one terminal for more room, because there is no room to add any more fingers. The yields have been tremendous for years. There is no room for much intrusion. PHL is a going concern, that generates fantastic cash flow per passenger. Even Parker gets it. The legacy mindset is what got these carriers where they are. They bought the RJ myth hook line and sinker. SWA and Airtran get it. If you can fly it with your own jet, you do it. If not, you don't. If LCC is stupid enough to let this one go, then the airline is done. That simple. If you see SWA interested in the place, with all of its' warts, something is there.

capitalize on the population base of the PHL metropolitan area ...#5 in the US.

Population base doesn't mean anything to an airline unless those people fly somewhere. As I said before to BS, PHL is #11 in O&D traffic so it's rank as #5 in MSA population means only that PHL doesn't produce the O&D it should for a MSA it's size (unlike NYC and Washington which DO produce O&D traffic to match their MSA size). So while PHL's MSA population may make a good debating point, that statistic is meaningless from an airline perspective.

I'll say again - PHL was and is the best option for a northeast hub that US had available. That doesn't mean that AA, UA, or CO would see it the same way.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.