RUMOR ALERT: US/UA merger "inevitable"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My best friend's brother's aunt's boyfriend's sister knows this girl who saw this guy who knows this kid who heard his mom mention something about ANOTHER STUPID RUMOR POST.

*rolls eyes*

Can't we take up something useful, like volunteering, or, I don't know, being nice to passengers?

Besides the equity offering a couple of days ago? Why do people parrot what others speak as (mis)truths.

Access to credit markets isn't the issue....there just isn't a deal that makes sense, and as much as bankers and lawyers love to chase fees, there is really no realistic way to underwrite a merger of two airlines that are bleeding cash, and are over leveraged.

This is an important distinction.

What are your sources?
No sources, just giving my opinion (like everyone else here). That's why I said "FWIW" (obviously not much). What are anyone elses sources on here, aside from some guy talking on a cell phone in the airport?

Besides the equity offering a couple of days ago? Why do people parrot what others speak as (mis)truths.

Access to credit markets isn't the issue....there just isn't a deal that makes sense, and as much as bankers and lawyers love to chase fees, there is really no realistic way to underwrite a merger of two airlines that are bleeding cash, and are over leveraged.

This is an important distinction.
So if these two companies are "over leveraged", you don't think they would need access to credit, if there was a deal that made sense?

Doug Parker said in order for this industry to survive, there must be more consolidation. Not it would be a good idea or it would be helpful, but there must be. So I think it is inevitable. That doesn't mean it will be US-UA or even US at all. But I would say in the next year, something will happen.

Doug Parker said in order for this industry to survive, there must be more consolidation. Not it would be a good idea or it would be helpful, but there must be. So I think it is inevitable. That doesn't mean it will be US-UA or even US at all. But I would say in the next year, something will happen.
Probably true, but Parker feels that it should be himself standing on the top of the hill, with no regards towards the employees and customers....

Why because Doug Parker says so? We hear in press releases Parker and Tilton claiming the industry needs to consolidate to survive. Funny that other far more credible and bankable CEOs' like Bethune, kellner, Arpey, Kelly don't share this view. In the world of airlines CEO's which have more credibility Parker or the rest?

Well, just start a thread like you suggest.

Personally this thread holds out some meager hope that we may escape this hell hole of an airline.

I'm just saying there is always some rumor about some merger and some announcement that is going to be made some time in the not so distant future. It creates pandemonimum on this board and everyone posts their opinions and argues with everyone else about those people's opinion and it's all over some uncorroborated CRAP that someone started. Then it spills to the jumpseat and we all fantasize and fret over base closures, furloughs, or those elusive west coast bases at the pie in sky airline that's gonna save us from the chicken little mentality here.
Personally I wish people would quit their complaining and DO something about it. That's all I'm saying. Get involved. Go to union meetings, voice your opinion, go to inflight, be the squeaky wheel that is proactive rather than reactive.

I'M surprised this thread was not deleted when the original poster ask that their post to be removed? Can anyone fill me in on what the IAD conversation was?

So if these two companies are "over leveraged", you don't think they would need access to credit, if there was a deal that made sense?

Yes....I said that they are not shut out of credit markets as their recent equity offering proves. My comment is that people keep saying "US Airways is shut out of credit markets" and that is mis-leading. They are just shut out of making bad deals.

Bear with me....it's like if I had bought everything on a credit card and my girlfriend bought everything on a credit card and we can only afford to make the mimimum monthly payments on our salary, and then we both asked our parents for some money and promised to pay back when we could, then went to a bank to ask for a loan so that we can get married, and that marriage will make all our problems go away because then we would share an apartment.

The better plan is to move in together first, see if we like each other, and then with our savings, pay down some credit cards first, and pay for our marriage by ourselves.

More debt doesn't make the weak stronger, it just limits their options.....

I'M surprised this thread was not deleted when the original poster ask that their post to be removed? Can anyone fill me in on what the IAD conversation was?

I read the original post but since it was taken down, I don't feel comfortable sharing the info unless the original poster agrees to put it back. I'll just say, if true, it would mean something is in the works, but it was unsubstantiated...just some third party claiming they heard something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts