Defend Recall Rights, Defend Our Careers

Lets not forget the total scum bags in office at the time. We do need to work with AA to extend indefinitly the recall rights for all FA's who want to return.

Mikey...

THB has tried to negotiate to extend the recall rights for the furloughees. AA is not interested in extending them past 5 years.

This is a confirmation on how AA management feels:

Tim Smith, a spokesman for the airline, confirmed that American will only consider such a change when it negotiates a new 2008 contract with the flight attendants. He said the five-year limit on rehiring rights is common in the airline industry and based on the assumption that long-gone former employees don't want to return.

Common? We had 7 years, other airlines have extended the time. Oh, that's right, "other" airlines have already recalled their voluntary and involuntary furloughs. Industry leading contract? Makes you think, well maybe not.

Heres a copy of an e-mail that was forwarded to me.

It has been forwarded to alot of AA flight attendants.

I can't say that I blame the TWA folks
for trying to fight for what they believe
are rights they are entitled to.

I'm not saying I agree with them or believe
that they are entitled to their FORMER
seniority however...because I'm not and I don't.

We now have "official" word from AA Company
spokesman Tim Smith, that American WILL consider
such a change (or trade) when negotiating a new contract in
2008. (In other words they want big bucks in exchange)

This should put EVERY flight attendant on notice.
We absolutely MUST MUST MUST get a new Administration
and Negotiating Team in place that will protect our
nAAtive seniority at all costs.

This news article quotes an AA spokesman directly
as evidence which shows every single flight attendant that the
Company IS INDEED WILLING to negotiate this item if given something
of equal monetary value in exchange.
WE SIMPLY CANNOT LET THAT HAPPEN, PERIOD.
Our workforce simply cannot "afford" any additional cuts
or concessions (pay OR work rule) of any kind.

We must get the "trade unionists" out of office at APFA.
They believe that former employees of a defunct airline
are entitled to YOUR and MY seniority at THIS company.
That is a philosophical difference for which there can be
no compromise on.

Remember, just because a Court ruled in our favor regarding
the seniority lawsuit...doesn't mean this issue is over and dead.
It isn't over until the very last TWA furloughee recall rights
expire in July 2008. Only THEN will it be over.

Mike Schewerm, the former 24 year TWA attendant said American
doesn't want the TWA workers because by contract they would
get top wages, about $ 46/hour, instead of starting pay for
new hires of about $ 17/hour.

He is precisely correct, that and the fact that medical insurance
premiums for a aged workforce are extremely expensive, something
that AMR can ill afford at present.
I wish conditions were different and that AMR had trillions of
dollars sitting around and that we could employ every single
flight attendant that wants the job....but we can't.

This isn't a scare tactic...just stating the facts folks.
If you want to protect your seniority...you better stay alert!

Jay Narey has once again stirred the pot with unsubstantiated and misinformed minutia.
It would seem to be alll he knows how too do.
None of us feel that ANY concessions should be exchanged for extended recall. Why don't you just relax. We don't want the farm, just a little corner to graze. Jay, please don't try and spin this to mean anything other than a request to see all wishing to return (at the bottom of the AA seniority list) be given that opportunity. Just what is so wrong with that?
There will come a time (2008) we will have to make this right. It will cost us money, to keep people on the recall list. Its our unions responsibility to its furloughed members. This is just one more way john ward and the past administration screwed each and every one of us.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='414203' date='Sep 10 2006, 11:58 PM']I think they should go picket Amon Carter Blvd (AMR HQ). Then see what kind of reaction you get.[/quote]

Once again that would be inappropriate and could possible put some at job jeopardy. That would be a function of our Union.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='414203' date='Sep 10 2006, 11:58 PM']I think they should go picket Amon Carter Blvd (AMR HQ). Then see what kind of reaction you get.[/quote]

All it would prove is that the flight attendant group is incapable of presenting a unified front, which isn't exactly the image you as members (regardless where you stand on the issues of integration and recall) should be interested in presenting when you're months away from being in contract negotiations.

Then again, all that anyone in management needs to do is spend a few minutes reading these boards to realize how divided the various unions are, with the lone exception of the APA, who always seems to manage to keep their dirty laundry in the hamper and not out for all to see...

All it would prove is that the flight attendant group is incapable of presenting a unified front, which isn't exactly the image you as members (regardless where you stand on the issues of integration and recall) should be interested in presenting when you're months away from being in contract negotiations.

Then again, all that anyone in management needs to do is spend a few minutes reading these boards to realize how divided the various unions are, with the lone exception of the APA, who always seems to manage to keep their dirty laundry in the hamper and not out for all to see...

Our issue is not airing dirty laundry but identifying a need. If you find trying to save 4000 (formally 6000) jobs offensive then there isn't much I can say to you.

Our issue is not airing dirty laundry but identifying a need. If you find trying to save 4000 (formally 6000) jobs offensive then there isn't much I can say to you.

Personally, I'd be open to non-expiring recall.

But that isn't the point.

Doing pickets at the company headquarters won't solve the problem when it's pretty obvious that the membership can't agree on what the solution should be. Both APFA and TWU don't agree internally on a wide range of issues facing their members, and the company is going to use that to their advantage every time that they can. That doesn't happen as much with the pilots.

He just sent another gem.

Dear Mr. Arpey,

I am writing to you to express a position that I believe the ' majority ' of APFA members hold. While I can only speak for myself, I would like to express that we have NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to see recall rights for furloughed members extended beyond 5 years, REGARDLESS of what our Union Leadership is saying to you.

AMR is not in a financial position to employ everyone that we would like to employ...particularly employees who, if recalled, would be coming back at the top of our pay scale and with exorbitant medical insurance costs.

While I am truly empathetic to the plight of the former TWA employees,none of us could have foreseen the tragic decimation of our industry following 9/11 which resulted in these furloughs. Furthermore, I would like to applaud your efforts to preserve the promised pensions on our property and believe that in order for us to truly "pull together in order to win together" that we need a cohesive work group...and I don't believe that is possible if the TWA employees are kept on property. Animosity will continue unabated and morale will deteriorate even further than it has deteriorated following the Restructuring Participation Agreement ratifications.That is something that American Airlines can ill afford going forward.

You are a busy man, and I'm sure you yearn for brevity as I do. Therefore I just wanted to convey to you my desire that there be NO EXTENSION in recall rights period. While this position may not be that of our Union Leaders, I can assure you it IS the position of the majority of "rank and file" flight attendants.

Sincerely,
JN
Operational Council Representative
Dallas-Fort Worth International
APFA

Since when can OCR's use their official title in expressing their private opinions, as opposed to the union's policy, to corporate executives?

Latest posts