F/A goes semi-postal

Don't know about this incident, Jim, but I just commuted home from SFO via DFW. SFO-DFW crew was superb! They smiled, joked, teased and in general were visible and teriffic in the aisle. They made us all smile at their antics, and these were senior women...I'd guess in the 25 year seniority range.

DFW-STL was another story completely. The coach F/A (number 2 ?) was leaning against the cockpit door, chewing gum and examining her nails while we boarded the 757. Her gum chewing continued during the beverage "service" (I use that expression only to designate a cart in the aisle...there was certainly no "service" to speak of). When I asked for coffee she said "Nah...they didn't give us no pots". On pickup, she hefted the market bag by the handles and swung it over pax heads in the aisle seats toward the window pax, rather than leaning over taking the items and depositing them. People around me were watching in disbelief. I sat there stunned that this F/A could be taking up space when there are literally thousands of AA/TWA people out on the street who would do anything to put on a uniform again.

I don't know what possesses a customer-service person to snap like the one you quoted, but I do know that irrespective of salary, if you don't like your job ALL the money in the world isn't going to make it look good. Another reason they create jobs behind partitions where these folk won't have to be bothered with pleasing someone else other than their miserable little selves.

Conniegirl

Don't know about this incident, Jim, but I just commuted home from SFO via DFW. SFO-DFW crew was superb! They smiled, joked, teased and in general were visible and teriffic in the aisle. They made us all smile at their antics, and these were senior women...I'd guess in the 25 year seniority range.

DFW-STL was another story completely. The coach F/A (number 2 ?) was leaning against the cockpit door, chewing gum and examining her nails while we boarded the 757. Her gum chewing continued during the beverage "service" (I use that expression only to designate a cart in the aisle...there was certainly no "service" to speak of). When I asked for coffee she said "Nah...they didn't give us no pots". On pickup, she hefted the market bag by the handles and swung it over pax heads in the aisle seats toward the window pax, rather than leaning over taking the items and depositing them. People around me were watching in disbelief. I sat there stunned that this F/A could be taking up space when there are literally thousands of AA/TWA people out on the street who would do anything to put on a uniform again.

I don't know what possesses a customer-service person to snap like the one you quoted, but I do know that irrespective of salary, if you don't like your job ALL the money in the world isn't going to make it look good. Another reason they create jobs behind partitions where these folk won't have to be bothered with pleasing someone else other than their miserable little selves.

Conniegirl

I call BS on that article/letter. When was the last time you saw a "snack bag" on AA? None of the Buy on Board snacks we sell come in a bag, or anything resembling a bag.

I call BS on that article/letter. When was the last time you saw a "snack bag" on AA? None of the Buy on Board snacks we sell come in a bag, or anything resembling a bag.

They were probably talking about that minuscule serving of "Premium" snack mix which technically is in a bag--an "almost impossible to open without using your teeth" bag, I might add. When we first started serving those, they came with a "tear notch" in the crimping on one end, but not anymore. I guess that was another cost-saving move.

I think the whole thing is BS. It just doesn't ring true. No one goes off the wall like that without some prodding. Not to say some FA's aren't overly sensitive, but I just don't believe the incident really occurred as described.

MK

I think the whole thing is BS. It just doesn't ring true. No one goes off the wall like that without some prodding. Not to say some FA's aren't overly sensitive, but I just don't believe the incident really occurred as described.

MK
This is all you need to know about the validity of this story: "according to passenger..."

Sounds a bit over the top, but if we're talking about a DFW based crew, where there's smoke, there's fire....

Christoper Elliott (the writer of the blog this appeared on) isn't just a pundit -- he's a regular columnist for the Tribune print publications, MSNBC, and is fairly well known as a travel industry writer. I don't think he'd just post this for the hell of it.

I had just been called into my Supervisors office for a Customer Complaint this past week... The just of the letter was that
I didn't help the passenger with her bag. It says in the letter that after she removed her laptop from her bag and tried to hand
me her bag I told her she would have to take care of it..... This was on an EMB..... In which case it needed to be Gate Checked !!

In response to this Passenger with Snacks thrown at him and Drinks Dumped on him.... Yeah Right.... He's probably just pissed off
because he only got compensation of Miles instead of the All Mighty BIG CHECK !!!!!!

Latest posts