IAM Fleet Service topic 1/1-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, using your taxiing and jet blast examples, maybe you should open your eyes on the ramp. I see someone cut off a taxiing aircraft at least monthly, and someone get jetblasted several times a week. While YOU may not think you need some of these courses, other people do need them. You probably do too, you're just too ignorant to realise it.

It's a fact: common sense ain't so common. There's a difference between carelessness and stupidity though neither are difficult to find.

Most of those modules are just the company covering it's arse in case somebody does get hurt doing something incredibly stupid and then tries to turn around and say that they were never trained properly. This is also more or less why coffee containers from chain establishments have warnings on them telling you that the hot coffee within is...hot.

Some of these are government mandated like the HazMat stuff; in that case I'd rather spend 20 minutes in front of a computer screen than an hour flipping through that stupid booklet.

Also some of these are actually useful, such as the different types of fire extinguishers and how they're used. I know, it seems stupid when you're sitting there but not so when you're in the bin and the belt loader catches on fire (seen it)...

Yes I am at BWI buddy. My dad worked there for DAL when it was Friednship I will have to make a stop at the hotdog place by the mall soon! Thanks. My questions is back in Nov when the OEI went into effect, there was a raise that went with it, but I never got mine. The union hasnt gotten back to me on that despite repeated asking.

Yes I am at BWI buddy. My dad worked there for DAL when it was Friednship I will have to make a stop at the hotdog place by the mall soon! Thanks. My questions is back in Nov when the OEI went into effect, there was a raise that went with it, but I never got mine. The union hasnt gotten back to me on that despite repeated asking.

robbed does bwi have a grievance committee. If not make sure the shop steward files a grievance and

includes the words "made whole in every way " including any back pay and benefits. if you have any problems

getting that resolved PM me and I will try and help you out.

Hey y’all … all tha knee pads went tahh management wanna be’s… they crankin’ up ahh new batch in China tahh replace um!

Hey y’all … all tha knee pads went tahh management wanna be’s… they crankin’ up ahh new batch in China tahh replace um!

Thanks for that info, so useful and...well put. Usually when people are mangling English they do it thoughtlessly but I can tell you put effort into it.

Can anyone tell me if the company-issued knee pads are any good? How often will they replace them? I half suspect they're going to acquire and distribute a bunch of craptastic foam knee pads under the "hey, it's better than nothing" logic that also dictates the kinds of gloves they provide. I would like for them to prove me wrong in this regard.

I've always just gone to Home Depot and shelled out $11.00 for the Huskies they sell and will continue to do so if the company is not going to provide any better...

Here is some good reading for those interested in the airline Labor Union fight in this country....

We all should take note of this DL/NW merger as we could find ourselves in the same situation once again.....And we all know how that turned out....

The best defense against the corporate greed and management ignorance is being educated.....

Labor board denies Delta Air Lines union request

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...or-ruling_N.htm

we should no longer concern ourselves with other unions and their fights ... we should think now for nothing but our own survival and pepare to dig in to the bitter end ..

If there are any ways humanly possible to cut costs in our union , we should begin to take a hard look at them ... any which way we can get our memebers more money has to now be our top priority ..

Edited by moderator:
One final warning.
STAY ON TOPIC or take the rest to the water cooler.

Are kneepads really this big of an issue today? I have been in a few stations over the years, and have never had any problem getting a pair of them to use. I wish that I had a $1 for every pair that I saw stashed away in tugs, beltloaders, and pushbacks over the years. I myself only choose to were them in the Summer when I'm wearing shorts. :rolleyes: Just another item to drag along with you on the ramp.

Freedom
Either take your Doom and Gloom back to the Water Cooler or keep on topic.

Chock Jockey
The knee pads are not too bad actually but some people go and buy thier own at Home Depot. As for the wear or not wear issue I will always wear them year round. There are a lot of people who keep them around their ankles when not in use.

They are replaced when I deem necessary. The plastic will crack from the pressure placed on them or the foam inside will become too thin. It has never been a problem getting replacements.

Freedom
Either take your Doom and Gloom back to the Water Cooler or keep on topic.

ok , lets stay focused on union issues ,

The New Direction Team
President and Directing General Chairperson - Rich Delaney, Current AGC, UA

Secretary-Treasurer - Dave Atkinson, Current Local President Den, Vice President AFLCIO, Colorado , UA

Vice President-East - Richard "Brad" Burson, Greivance Chair OMA, UA

Vice President-Hawaii - Sandy Olmos, Grievance Committeeperson, HNL, UA

Vice President-West - Sandy Gardner, Grievance Committeeperson, DEN, UA

Vice President at Large - Ron Roth

Trustee - Greg Brown, Local Prez, SFO, US

Trustee - John Nielsen, US West, LAS, Former TWU officer

Assistant General Chairperson (two year term) - Michael Crowell, Grievance Committeeman, CLT, US

Assistant General Chairperson (two year term) - Mickey Hughes , VP Pit Local, US

Assistant General Chairperson (two year term) - Bobby Worthman, Grievance Chair, DEN, UA

Assistant General Chairperson - John Medeiros, Local Trustee, BOS, uA

Assistant General Chairperson - Shawn Humpherys, Grievance Chair, SLC, UA

Assistant General Chairperson - Kris Hannah, Grievance Chair MSP, UA

Assistant General Chairperson - Alex Gerulis, Grievance Chair ORD, UA

Assistant General Chairperson - Erik Stenberg, Local President ORD, UA

Assistant General Chairperson - Laura Stone, Grievance Chair, ORD RES, , Current DL141 Trustee UA

Assistant General Chairperson – Arthur “Big Dawgâ€￾ Croker, Greivance Chair HNL, UA

Assistant General Chairperson - Mike Klemm, Local President and Grievance Chair, New York, UA
Assistant General Chairperson - Frank O'Donnell, PHL US. Selected by Local President Bobby Boland

Assistant General Chairperson - Nick Handlow, CLT, Former Grievance Committeeman, PIT, US

Assistant General Chairperson - Ray Wallis, Current DL 141 AGC

i took this list from one of the old threads ... the names might not be right and a postion or too might be gone because we've lost an airline or two .... but you can see from all of the AGC postions that we're paying a pretty penny here ... let's see , the AGC's are 100k a peice right ? and the president makes oh what , 170 ?

yeah , we can cut some fat from the bone here and save our memebers money .... anyone remember that dues increase they just passed ?

all i'm saying is everyone get on board the reality train here , tough econmic times ahead .. let's batten down the hatches now rather than half way through the storm ... while the IAM national pension plan maybe geen ... that link on the IAM141 webpage really didn't talk much about what we actually have our money invested in ... nor do i know if the pension plan adjusts for inflation ... i know most pension plans are at set rates that don't change for inflation ...

to our retired union brothers and sisters , i strongly urge you to dig deeper into the facts surrouding our pension .... find out everything you can , and then decide for yourselves how viable you think it will remain going forward ...do you homework .

Why am i mentioning this ? sure it's not revelant TODAY , but this may become more of an issue for our union going forwards .i worry about inflation and it's effects on a defeined payout plan ... :unsure:

Here is some good reading for those interested in the airline Labor Union fight in this country....
Thanks for the link, interesting reading. I would imagine that DL fears that across-the-board unionization might make difficult a lot of the changes they hope to implement in the next year. I mean, are they really going to be able to cut domestic capacity so much and not close any of their hubs? Time will tell.

we should no longer concern ourselves with other unions and their fights ... we should think now for nothing but our own survival and pepare to dig in to the bitter end ..
Why can't we do both? Who says those are mutually exclusive or even unrelated? What possible benefit could come from IGNORING industry trends? Do you really think US management is "no longer going to concern [them]selves" with what DL is doing? What exactly do you do for this company again? Also lern2spelchek plz.

Are kneepads really this big of an issue today? I have been in a few stations over the years, and have never had any problem getting a pair of them to use. I wish that I had a $1 for every pair that I saw stashed away in tugs, beltloaders, and pushbacks over the years. I myself only choose to were them in the Summer when I'm wearing shorts. :rolleyes: Just another item to drag along with you on the ramp.
Well, I know it's not a pressing issue what with knee pads but I was just curious. What's the alternative but another East/West flamewar amirite? I probably go through 2-3 pairs a year and have never lost mine; they're either on me or in my bag. As for people leaving them around, it seems that something given is never valued as much as something bought when you can just ask for more or steal someone else's or pick up a pair left lying around.

I couldn't use pre-owned knee pads though because they kind of smell like cheese after a while. :huh:

yeah , we can cut some fat from the bone here and save our memebers money .... anyone remember that dues increase they just passed ?
Ummm, ok that's kind of arbitrary to say we have X amount of guys making Y amount of $$ a piece and then claim that it's OMG WAAY TWO MUCH!!1 when you don't have any kind of scale or external reference to put it up against. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you need some real evidence to back up your claim. <_<

to our retired union brothers and sisters , i strongly urge you to dig deeper into the facts surrouding our pension .... find out everything you can , and then decide for yourselves how viable you think it will remain going forward ...do you homework .
I for one have no expectation of seeing any money that may be going into some kind of pension for me. I think it's a safe bet to say that if/when I get to the age I'm eligible for it it's simply not going to be around anymore: after what, 40 or 50 years it'll have been raided or wiped out so many times I'll be lucky to get a smile and a handshake... :lol:

{so on and so forth}

Why can't we do both? Who says those are mutually exclusive or even unrelated? What possible benefit could come from IGNORING industry trends? Do you really think US management is "no longer going to concern [them]selves" with what DL is doing? What exactly do you do for this company again? Also lern2spelchek plz.

{so on and so forth}

Ummm, ok that's kind of arbitrary to say we have X amount of guys making Y amount of $$ a piece and then claim that it's OMG WAAY TWO MUCH!!1 when you don't have any kind of scale or external reference to put it up against. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you need some real evidence to back up your claim. <_<

I for one have no expectation of seeing any money that may be going into some kind of pension for me. I think it's a safe bet to say that if/when I get to the age I'm eligible for it it's simply not going to be around anymore: after what, 40 or 50 years it'll have been raided or wiped out so many times I'll be lucky to get a smile and a handshake... :lol:

eh , as to my first point about ingnoring the other airlines and their issues ... if you go to the furlough thread for 2009 it appears as the rumor mill would have it that bookings have dropped dramtically ... without going off topic , in my view we should conserve what rescources we have left and focus exclusively on ourselves . also card check , which was pushed for by ALL of the unions has been stopped dead in it's tracks , while i never agreed with the public voting idea (voting should be private not public ) the intent to make it more easy to unionize was noble ... say la vie ...

as for my spelling , yeah for some reason the spell check isn't working on here for me today ....

any finally to the point about our union leaders making ABC amount without comparing it ... i tend to think that our leaders should make something closer to the range that we the people who have elected them should make . sure i think they should make more than the average worker , but not too much more ... keeping our leaders more inline with what we make gives them more incentive to see to it that we as workers make more .

As for the pension ,your right , it won't be here 40 or 50 years from now... (unless properly managed ) i'm more concerned about the next year ... say our pension does better than the market , but the market takes oh say another 30% hit .... or more ... we could be asked to pony up more money to balance the account ...

Status
Not open for further replies.