IAM Fleet Service topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drug testing for Fleet is only post accident or suspicion, otherwise its a violation of company policy, fleet is not safety sensitive under the FAA.

Pilots, Flight Attendants, Dispatchers, Mechanics, Stock Clerk Drivers (Class B CDL) are the only ones subject to random under the law.

See following post.

Uh. Better check again Sparky. As a former shift manager at US Airways, I was subject to random drug and alcohol testing anytime the company pulled my number. Between 2007 and 2010, I was tested once a year, usually within 30 days of my birthday, and I wasn't allowed to even touch a bag or push back an airplane. Additionally, I have firsthand knowledge that CWA CSM's and FSA Ramp Leads were also selected randomly to be tested at least once a year. The company policy is stricter than the DOT guidelines dictate, and technically, anyone in a DOT covered safety related position can be called in to take a pee or breathe into the alcohol testing machine if their number is called. This is not a matter that is governed by union contracts. It is a matter between US Airways and the requirements of holding an FAA/DOT license to operate an airline. Hope this clears things up.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not sure what US' policy is, haven't read it. My point was that FSA's aren't covered under part 120 as required to be tested. No matter how you want to interpret 'dispatch', they don't fit the role described in that section. Personally, I think MTC should be doing receipt and dispatch, it would bring alot of jobs back.

I'm not sure what US' policy is, haven't read it. My point was that FSA's aren't covered under part 120 as required to be tested. No matter how you want to interpret 'dispatch', they don't fit the role described in that section. Personally, I think MTC should be doing receipt and dispatch, it would bring alot of jobs back.

Blue,

You appear to be deliberately obfuscating the difference between team leads and non-team leads under the collective of "fleet service agents", and there is a difference in terms one being in a "safety sensitive" position.

Clearly the FAA requires as part of an Aircraft Dispatcher's duties to perform Weight and Balance, in fact, it is part of the testing and certification process. http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/test_standards/media/FAA-S-8081-10C.pdf

However, we also know that team leads are responsible for Weight and Balance which is what the FAA considers to be part of the "duties" of an Aircraft Dispatcher. (Notice "duties" is a critical word here.) Furthermore, under the requirements for random drug testing, the FAA Part 121, Appendix I -- Drug Testing Program, it says in part, the following:

"III. Employees Who Must be Tested. Each employee, including any assistant, helper, or individual in a training status, who performs a safety-sensitive function listed in this section directly or by contract (including by subcontract at any tier) for an employer as defined in this appendix must be subject to drug testing under an antidrug program implemented in accordance with this appendix. This includes full-time, part-time, temporary, and intermittent employees regardless of the degree of supervision. The safety-sensitive functions are:
D. Aircraft dispatcher duties
."
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/drug_alcohol/testing/drug/media/Appendix%20I%20(Link%202).pdf

Notice it says "Aircraft dispatcher duties", and not "Aircraft dispatcher position," and as we know Weight and Balance is part of the Aircraft Dispatcher's "duties", that means Team Leads are performing, in part, Aircraft Dispatcher's "duties". Also notice the sentence, "Each employee, including any assistant, helper..." which means that if a Team Lead is providing ANY assistance and help the Aircraft Dispatcher's "duties," then they are subject to random drug testing. Non-Team Leads FSAs would NOT be either assisting or helping Aircraft Dispatchers, and thus, NOT considered to be a "safety senstive" position.

So Clarifies Jester.

And, the company recently began requiring CSM's and Fleet Service Leads to be GSC certified, which would make my point valid. Thank You, Dog.
That is correct. In many or all of the small stations the Fleet Service leads were GSC qualified, and subject to random testing. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it was 15 years ago.

That is correct. In many or all of the small stations the Fleet Service leads were GSC qualified, and subject to random testing. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it was 15 years ago.
There is no more fleet service in small cities

There are still a few out west, and some that are on the edge here in the east. RDU comes to mind, and there are a few others that have 10 mainline flts a day or less. I would be willing to bet that some of them have Leads that are GSC qualified. I know a few people that I can check with to confirm.

Dropping in for the first time in a while, and I can't resist getting into the drug testing question. First of all, I'm an FSA and a GSC, so FSA CAN be randomed. There is no absolute for FSA not being tested. As to the term "dispatch", based on my experiences from my AWA days, and reading FARs a lot as a pilot, it is my (non legal and not binding) opinion that FSAs MIGHT be considered by the FAA as involed in the dispatch of flights as Jester suggests. I say MIGHT, and should note that it's more likely to apply to a FSL as opposed to a FSA. I offer this for your consideration: Back in the AWA days Team Leads were in the random pool, and, prior to 9/11, allowed to jumpseat. Here's the relevant part of FAR 121.547 (that I believe has not been changed in decades):

For the purposes of paragraph (a)(3) of this section, employees of the United States who deal responsibly with matters relating to safety and employees of the certificate holder whose efficiency would be increased by familiarity with flight conditions, may be admitted by the certificate holder.

Now consider that qute. With that done, now forget about this entire conversation and realize that THE DOT APPROVES EVERY LETTER IN THE COMPANIES DRUG TESTING POLICIES!!!!!! The Company may do some stupid things, but they don't want to mess with the DOT. They'll be doing EXACTLY what they should in regards to drug testing and nothing more or less. Also, randoms are determined by a computer in Tempe on a (I believe) daily basis. Local management doesn't pick randoms, they are told ""Person A, B, and C must be randomed. Make it happen".

That said, 14 years in the pool and I've never been randomed. I should have had three UAs and 1 breathalyzer by now.

Jester need to clairfy something with you .. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TEAM LEAD ANYMORE. They went bye bye with the T/A . Usairways has Fleet Service Leads or Lead Agents.. NO SUCH THING as a TEAM LEAD . if you guys out west want to keep playing America West then go ahead , but then don't #### because no one is enforcing your contract. you can't play America West rules and then #### about the company not following the contract. As far as this drug test thing.. It's not done on the East PERIOD. Maybe because we follow OUR CONTRACT and DONT let management dictate to us what they will follow and what they wont

Reactions: 1 person
Jester need to clairfy something with you .. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TEAM LEAD ANYMORE. They went bye bye with the T/A . Usairways has Fleet Service Leads or Lead Agents.. NO SUCH THING as a TEAM LEAD .

And the price of pickled herring in Yugoslavia was what?

"Lead", "Team Lead", "Fleet Service Lead", "The Guy with the Clip Board"... doesn't matter... ANY "duties" of dispatcher according to the FAA which include the "duties" of Weight and Balance, regardless of your beloved CBA titles or scope or what you think is permissable. I provided some good links in my prior post, and I suggest you review them.

So Reminds Jester.

Jester your totally wrong, fleet is NOT subject to random drug testing under federal law, they dont dispatch a/c, that refers to OCC and the classification of dispatcher.

WHen I was utility I pushed planes and we were not subject to random testing, when I went to stores I was but that was because of the DOT CDL regulations.

Call your local FSDO and you will be set right.

And you dont do weight and balance the computer does and it is sent from OCC to the flight deck via acars.

And you dont do weight and balance the computer does and it is sent from OCC to the flight deck via acars.

Right, and "The Guy with The Clipboard" doesn't count the bags, verifies the correct bins for loading, calculates the total weight, and enters those numbers into a computer? Not to mention, "The Guy with The Clipboard" is not required to know how to calculate Weight and Balance manually , if in the event the computers are down? Sure sounds like the part of the "duties" of a dispatcher to me!

By the way, what are you people hiding? I am mean seriously, I know that in my job, especially if I am calculating weight and balance or operating heavy equipment, that I would expect to be subject to random drug testing for the safety of myself, my co-workers, the flying public, and the substantial investment of aircraft and revenues associated with every flight. I really wonder why FSAs are so hostile to random drug tests given the safety-sensitive nature of our employment, and frankly, FSAs who are hiding their intoxication while working should not be working around the ramp.

So Ponders Jester.

Status
Not open for further replies.