IAM Mech. & Related thread

What do you think about the Tentative Agreement with IAM M&R?

• Yes I am for it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am undecided

• No I will vote against it

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is in it for m&r to lose the CIC language??

Ya why do they want to get ride of this now all the sudden,I thought it didnt mean anything any more.I thought there was a letter saying it was no good.CIC/snapbacks etc...

also the west contract says you will get 5 uniforms and have to wash them yourself,thats the west uniform policy.....cheer anyone or tide.

Yep wait till 2009 and do the whole contract...... :up:

Be the first to the table in 2009. If this TA is passed you can just stand in line in 2012 behind AFA-CWA and CWA whose contracts are up. Look how long it took Labor to sit down this time. It started in 2005 we are in 2008. So....my guesstimate would be the year 2015 and I'm certain A-Enima will be on some sunny island by then. Hmmmm....are you all willing to wait in line for next 7 years? Only one Labor group handling all these contracts. By then we will be merged or owned by another company so now it the chance to get a permanent binding contract, FIRST.

"The company doesn't consider the mechanics as skilled labor?" Is that for real? What a bunch of bull from the company if that is how they feel. If that doesn't qualify for skilled labor then I dont know what does..
Magic,

You can thank the Dept. of Labor for that. They ruled many years ago that acft mechs are unskilled labor. As I understand it. The airline industry and the trade unions lobbied for the unskilled classification. If we were skilled labor we would have a union only for AMT's like ALPA and AFA not an industrial trade union like the iam etc. Plus as a profession we would be making more $ because we wouldn't have the utes or the stores to drag us down. The End

Here are some simple future earning calculations for an A&P mechanic if the TA is approved.
You would have to be an A&P working in either line, base or engine shop.

1st sh mech 2nd sh mech 3rd sh mech

2008 (39 weeks) + $4,477 + $5,272 + $5,382
2009 (52 weeks) + $7,592 + $8,652 + $8,798
2010 (52 weeks) + $10,296 + $11,356 + $11,502
2011 (52 weeks) + $12,020 + $13,083 + $13,228

TOTAL INCREASE: $34,387 $38,363 $38,900

An A&P mechanic at Usairways will make $54,475 bucks for 2008 status quo and $56,513 for 2009, if this goes thru we will be up to OVER $67,000 bucks a year at the end.

I personally, with the economy the way its going (thanks to you DUBYA supporters), and oil over $100 bucks a barrel, can't say no. The numbers don't lie.

It all looks good on paper. Did you factor in the cost of living and medical cost increases by 2011. You most likely will be no farther ahead. Don't be fooled by the numbers. It's eye candy. The End

Reason to vote NO ie; compounding! The 401k 5% company match going into my account accrues interest, dividends, and capital gains payable to me. Compounding money in one's own account build's personal wealth. If the IAM gets this money the compounding effect is shifted to their pension fund. We are talking big $$$'s. Keep the $$$ in your own account. Vote NO. Also do you know what vested or credited or future service means? How about pension effective date? If you don't know and this TA passes you will learn the hard (expensive) way. Vote NO this TA let's see revision A.

Any gains that you get in wages were paid by benefits that were given up - there is no raise it is only shifting pockets. This is Parker's "0" Cost Contract.

If the CIC and Profit Sharing are "worthless" (per the co.), then why would they give us anything for them?

This contract is "cost neutral" for everyone......except the union. The Distict/International makes significant gains on four fronts;
-More contributions to the National Pension Plan.
-Unlimited flight benifits for the "Leadership".
-A hefty dues increase.
-An increase in membership, which multiplies the above.

It all looks good on paper. Did you factor in the cost of living and medical cost increases by 2011. You most likely will be no farther ahead. Don't be fooled by the numbers. It's eye candy. The End

I was not aware of any further Medical cost increases in this T/A or in the present contract.

On a related note, I've thought the Company wasn't very smart if they wanted to get rid of the most senior group of Mechanics & Related. They killed the pension for a 401k then cut pay and benefits by 30 to 48% so you don't have any to contribute then they killed the Retiree Medical so now you can not in any way entertain retiring until Social Security/ Medicare age. Unless you have something else going on ( like the contract to dust off and slap servicable tags on our avionics boxes ), you're stuck watching this train wreck.

Instead of the union working to bring the west under the east medical they should be bringing the east under the west medical - cost less covers more with a lot less deductible and copay. Also instead of doing away with the std and ltd they should be getting that coverage for the east. This agreement lacks improvement in almost every area. They lost direction, they have let the company bring the west benefits down to your bankruptcy levels instead of bringing you guys up to where you should be. The only logical vote is NO.

One thing about the IAM and the NPP, what happens if a year or two down the road the M&R decide to oust the IAM as their bargining unit? :blink: More I think about it the more I like having control over my retirement monies.....

How does this help the rank and file???

14. Article 13 (Transportation). Will apply to West employees on the Transition Date.
Effective the Transition Date the Company will provide Space Positive Travel to Company Employees and Retirees on permanent full-time union business as follows:
The Company will authorize reasonable space positive travel (on a self-book basis) for up to five (5) union officials, providing that:
• Such officials are employees or retirees of the Company,
• Are on full time union leave, and
• Where the majority of their Union duties are related to the Company.
Such space positive travel is only authorized where the purpose of the travel is all or
substantially all related to the Company. Space positive travel is not authorized for
commuting, or any union business including but not limited to training and union
conventions. Officials authorized space positive travel will be required to complete a
monthly summary (no later than 10 days from the close of the previous business month)
detailing all space positive travel in the applicable month.

Vote NO
Why would anyone approve of this? Employees should not have to worry about getting bumped by any union offical (iam, alpa, afa, cwa ). Travel is a benefit for all employees given by the airline (any airline), not a bargining chip.

If this isn't shirt tail riding on the back or the worker nothing is.

18. Article 17 (General and Miscellaneous). Will apply to West employees on OEI.
Effective no later than OEI amend the CBA as follows:
• All employees will transition to the current West uniform policy no later than OEI. Any initial costs associated with a change in uniforms will be borne by the Company.

And what is that policy? I feel like i'm about to lose the shirt off my back.

• Shift swaps will be changed to a minimum of twenty six (26) per calendar quarter.

The space positive language is for freiberger and his henchmen who have been trying to close the airline instead of fixing A/C since the 60's.
Once again, these guys are thinking in the 1950's like Mazzocco did always saying " In the prop shop in '58". Well, wake up. The average A&P is now 57 and they want to force an antique pension system on us locking us in this place. A larger 401K match and limited or no base maint in exchange for parity money with the other LCC's!

Here are some simple future earning calculations for an A&P mechanic if the TA is approved.
You would have to be an A&P working in either line, base or engine shop.

1st sh mech 2nd sh mech 3rd sh mech

2008 (39 weeks) + $4,477 + $5,272 + $5,382
2009 (52 weeks) + $7,592 + $8,652 + $8,798
2010 (52 weeks) + $10,296 + $11,356 + $11,502
2011 (52 weeks) + $12,020 + $13,083 + $13,228

TOTAL INCREASE: $34,387 $38,363 $38,900

An A&P mechanic at Usairways will make $54,475 bucks for 2008 status quo and $56,513 for 2009, if this goes thru we will be up to OVER $67,000 bucks a year at the end.

I personally, with the economy the way its going (thanks to you DUBYA supporters), and oil over $100 bucks a barrel, can't say no. The numbers don't lie.

Sell your SUV and you won't have to submit to these union thugs. Companies do not want unfundable,cumbersome pension plans in a constanly changing competitive environment. Until our workforce and scopes match our competition, we will continue to receive these substandard TA's. it's time for a new union that is not from the current two to unite us and bring us into the 21st century

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back