IAM Mech. & Related thread

What do you think about the Tentative Agreement with IAM M&R?

• Yes I am for it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am undecided

• No I will vote against it

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voting scheduled for April 3rd, after all have been given the road show. Just wish they would get into the 21st century with their voting procedures. If you have never experienced one, you walk into a room and are given a piece of paper and a pencil?, mark your X and deposit into a drum? Very high tech!! Be nice to see a real honest election where you are given a pin # and can phone in your vote or even mail like most of the other unions, then have an independant count. Been told that is aganist the bylaws? No question about the results that way.

Also have been hearing that if you do not vote its counted as a "Yes" vote? Have always been told when considering bringing in another union on the property a no show would be considered a "No" vote? Interesting standard........

Whats does this mean to mechanics if they vote in the TA and at some point want to vote out the IAM? See below this is what the IAM was telling fleet service if they voted them out at the merger...

Fleet Service
Pensions in Jeopardy

As long as the IAM remains your certified representative, US Airways Fleet Service employees will continue to benefit from the best retirement plan in the industry.

The $78 Multiplier

The IAM agreement at US Airways calls for participation in the IAM National Pension Plan which provides the financial security of a guaranteed monthly benefit upon retirement. US Airways Fleet Service retirees will receive a pension of $78.30 a month for every year of future service. This means that a retiree with thirty years of credited service under the current plan can expect a check for more than $2,349 a month, in addition to any 401-k distributions.

Security

America West Fleet Service workers will enjoy those same benefits and begin building their retirement security when they fall under the IAM contract. However, if another organization represents US Airways Fleet Service members, the IAM National Pension Plan will be lost.The IAM Pension Plan With 75 contributing employers and more than $7 billion in net assets, the IAM Pension is a rock-solid plan. It’s not subject to industry downturns
or greedy companies. For more information about the IAM pension plan go to: www.iamnpf.org.

" However,if another organization represents US Airways Fleet Service members, the IAM National Pension Plan will be lost."

If this is indeed a quote from IAM materials then I suspect there is a lot more we do not know. In this unstable industry, if we are bought out by a company with a different union, do we lose everything we put in up to that point? If USAir goes teats up do we lose this pension, too? Free money for the IAM. The way things are going, there's bound to be major job loss in maintenance. The 'open skies agreement' will see to that.

I doubt the pension amount already vested would be taken away, but as far as future contributions who knows. Should be good through 2011 when the contract expires, no matter which union is representing us at the time.

Does anyone remember the IAM survey? Did it go something like rate on a scale of 1 to 5 the importance of pay, vacation, medical coverage, pension, etc? I know I would and probably did give a pension the highest rating. I did not suspect that the pension would be the IAM plan and at the staggering cost of 5% of my 401k contribution. Sneaky very sneaky. Vote NO this TA let's see revision A.

Stupid very stupid on my behalf if it was actually labled the IAM pension plan. I still say it comes at too high a price.

Once again it seems the IAM has taken advantage of skilled labor. Anyone that is unhappy with the terms of the contract eg. pay, ins premiums, sick leave pay, holidays,and the list goes on, do not be unhappy with the company. Here are some newly discovered facts and I urge you to ask the company executives and the union negotiating committee some pointed questions. Exactly how and who determined the terms of the contract. According to sources who wish to remain anonymous, the company gave the union a dollar amount they had to offer and it was up to the union to distribute the funds however they chose and to whomever they chose. Ask the questions and hopefully the truth will come out. The company did not double some of the employees wages the union did. Our union looked out for some employees more than others. My hat is off to our teamster (west) brothers who in the scheme of things looked out for skilled labor. (not agreeing to the outsourcing of course). Too bad they (west mechanics) are losing benefits (med insurance costs, long and short term insurance among others items). I am now convinced the IAM is nothing more than a dictatorial regime looking out for its own best intrests. Someone helps us from ourselves as we voted the skallywags in.( once again sorry to the west guys)

waaa,waaa,waaa...so much crying and bitching. Where have you all been during the last 15 years? Always remeber, the IAM is you, not just your AGC's and commitee and stewards. If you dont participate in your local, you have nothing to say. If you really think there is a better offer coming, you are out of your mind. This is about as good as it is ever going get at USair.

Once again it seems the IAM has taken advantage of skilled labor. Anyone that is unhappy with the terms of the contract eg. pay, ins premiums, sick leave pay, holidays,and the list goes on, do not be unhappy with the company. Here are some newly discovered facts and I urge you to ask the company executives and the union negotiating committee some pointed questions. Exactly how and who determined the terms of the contract. According to sources who wish to remain anonymous, the company gave the union a dollar amount they had to offer and it was up to the union to distribute the funds however they chose and to whomever they chose. Ask the questions and hopefully the truth will come out. The company did not double some of the employees wages the union did. Our union looked out for some employees more than others. My hat is off to our teamster (west) brothers who in the scheme of things looked out for skilled labor. (not agreeing to the outsourcing of course). Too bad they (west mechanics) are losing benefits (med insurance costs, long and short term insurance among others items). I am now convinced the IAM is nothing more than a dictatorial regime looking out for its own best intrests. Someone helps us from ourselves as we voted the skallywags in.( once again sorry to the west guys)

Not a surprise to most - but there will be some will defend and deny to the very end. They are probably getting some of the 'awesome' pension. The same pension that has doubled it's contribution rates to get the same payout 10 yrs ago (smells like underfunding to me).

I make a motion to vote no....

waaa,waaa,waaa...so much crying and bitching. Where have you all been during the last 15 years? Always remeber, the IAM is you, not just your AGC's and commitee and stewards. If you dont participate in your local, you have nothing to say. If you really think there is a better offer coming, you are out of your mind. This is about as good as it is ever going get at USair.

Return under the agc desk from where you emerged.
Known fact that all "lapdogs" get stupid when away from their usual positons.

Check out the new IAM pension plan brainwash sheet. Do the math....they are using a 9% contribution to the 401 and a low 7% return to get their results. Do it with a historical low rate of 8% (9% would be more accurate) and contribute a total of $5400 a year. (9% of $60,000 salary) and after 25 years a 40 year old retiring at age 65 would be able to draw out $3166 per month for 15 years, 5 more years than the gaurantee for a IAM retiree. Go to age age 90 and you would rcv $2259.00 per mo. Still $169 more than IAM plan or about $51,000 over the 25 years and the balance would not go into the IAM plan to keep it funded if you die early.

Status
Not open for further replies.