Meal Service or lack of on new PHL-LHR service

I'm NOT sticking up for US. But if you check any travel search engine (i.e.: www.orbitz.com) the Y fares for US are always atleast $100 cheaper than the Y fares for foreign carriers. You can check any date, US is always cheaper. So with that $100 savings, take out $17 and buy a meal, drink and a headset on the plane.
the dark side is working hard on you spanglish...don't give in!! <_<

so, i did a little investigation comparing US and their foreign competitors. I have a sense that business travellers--who have made fflyer mile investments in specific airlines--use the airline's website and not discount websites. so, these fares represent the lowest business class fare available at the respective airline's website.

fasten your seatbelts, here we go:

PHL-CDG
6/11/08-6/18/08
US: $3126.77
AF: $3126.79

PHL-FRA
6/11/08-6/18/08
US: $3058.98
LH: $3059.00

and, my personal favorite (or should i say: 'favourite'):
PHL-LHR
6/11/08-6/18/08
US: $5987.70
BA: $3797.05

personally, i would eat the stiff 2-3 cent penalty on LH or AF for their business class product.
with respect to the LHR BA/US comparison... :rolleyes:

PHL-LHR
6/11/08-6/18/08
I assume the new Operations head (Isom) is the one directly responsible for major decisions regarding this flight (not Kirby) and that most services shown on the US web site are tentative. Further, I would assume that Isom has the experience to understand his competition at PHL, which is as follows:

Depart May 7th Return May 14th
Prices: BA (Club World - Business) = $4167 Total
Prices: US (Envoy - Business) = $5740 Total
Prices obtained on 12/27/07 at 1045PM (PST)

The (BA) Sleeper Service (From the BA Site):
"Sleep for longer with the Club World Sleeper Service. Available on selected overnight flights from East Coast of North America and the Middle East to London Heathrow. Pre-Flight Supper served in our East Coast North America lounges combined with Breakfast in Bed served closer to landing means more time for uninterrupted sleep in your new bigger than ever Club World fully flat bed."

This Sleeper Service is available to Business Class passengers on the 9:15PM PHL-LHR BA departure (in the BA Lounge) and will compete directly with the US flight.

So who would pay $1500 more to fly on US IF the indicated meal service is as shown on the Web site. Add to that the fact that BA's Business service is in Full Flat Beds.

Isom cannot possibly be so naive to assume this pricing and service will work against BA, unless there is some strong data indication there are a large number of unserved PHL premium O&D passengers to support 2 late night flights to LHR. I do know the PHL-LHR-PHL BA flightS have typical spring/summer monthly load factors around 90%+ (all flights - both directions). I have taken this late night BA flight twice in the last 15 months and I can attest that it will take US a LOT of effort to even come within shouting distance of the offered services and seat comfort (in Business). I have to speculate that the current US web site information regarding this service is not final and that either they plan to compete with BA with much lower fares, or significantly upgrade their services with the 2 Swiss (unchanged configuration) 340s and other inflight amenities. :lol: :lol:

I have to speculate that the current US web site information regarding this service is not final and that either they plan to compete with BA with much lower fares, or significantly upgrade their services with the 2 Swiss (unchanged configuration) 340s and other inflight amenities. :lol: :lol:
Let's hope it is the later. Although the 2 Swiss a/c are A330-200s and aren't coming until 2009. But they do have a 3 class configuration.

Continental offers Dinner and an Arrival Snack in BusinessFirst and Coach at all departure times from EWR to Europe/Isreal/South America.

Below is what Continental offers from EWR-LGW after 10PM, which is slightly reduced from the full service offered earlier in the day. The menu is taken from http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/conte...rst/dining.aspx

N

Surely you can't be putting US and CO in the same category. :rolleyes: Not a fair comparison.

What does CO offer in coach?

Let's hope it is the later. Although the 2 Swiss a/c are A330-200s and aren't coming until 2009. But they do have a 3 class configuration.
Yep, I typed too fast. Actually the 332s are scheduled for release by SWISS in mid-year 2008, so unless they are going into interim service with someone else, or 7-8 months of conversion/paint, they could be made available for summer service. The advantage of these 2 aircraft over the US 333s is the Business Class configuration - it would compete well with BA - if unchanged. I really don't think however that US would actually use these for LHR, I'm just dreaming. As I mentioned in other earlier posts, I believe strongly these 2 aircraft are for PHL-TLV.

Isom cannot possibly be so naive to assume this pricing and service will work against BA, unless there is some strong data indication there are a large number of unserved PHL premium O&D passengers to support 2 late night flights to LHR.

Isom is not in charge of pricing for the flight, that is outside his scope of responsibilities. He is responisble for the operation of the physical service. Prices are also dictated by inventory. US only has onle flight to BA's 2 which means US cann sell out far sooner than BA. At this point BA will take the booking until they hit the next pricing point, likely the US price.

US reconfigures every used aircraft they have received, not very well, in the case of the ex ATA aircraft. So unless there is a management change expect them to reconfigure the aircraft to two cabins. Besides if any city in the network would deserve full F class sercvice it would be China.

:lol: Oh how appropo.....assign Detective Clouseau to resolve the dilemma. Next thing you know someone will report seeing him giving Press Releases like that Iraqi dude during the days of Sadaam from the Ministry of Spin. (Although I do have to admit etops is probably THE Only one who would take the initiative to contact Tempe........Me, I'll p*ss on their graves at the appropriate time).
detective clouseau......i kinda like that. ;)

I have to speculate that the current US web site information regarding this service is not final and that either they plan to compete with BA with much lower fares, or significantly upgrade their services with the 2 Swiss (unchanged configuration) 340s and other inflight amenities. :lol: :lol:

Oh my - that is one BIG speculation but did give a good laugh!

It would be interesting to know how many people actually pay for Envoy to Europe verus get free or reduced upgrade fares from coach versus how many people pay for Business on other airlines that fly the same routes.

..... Prices are also dictated by inventory. US only has onle flight to BA's 2 which means US cann sell out far sooner than BA. At this point BA will take the booking until they hit the next pricing point, likely the US price....

I understand that, however how do you explain the vast difference in fares as shown here - 6 months out :

QUOTE (legacy-to-LCC @ Dec 27 2007, 09:37 AM)
PHL-LHR
6/11/08-6/18/08

I don't understand how those fares have much to do with inventory that far out. Surely US hasn't already sold most of the seats on that flight for June 11, 2008 and neither has BA - although I'd bet BA has sold much more on a % basis. Also, BA does not price one flight on the basis of another. It is common, for example, for the later PHL-LHR flight to be significantly - sometimes $3000 more, than the earlier flight on the same day in Business Class (Club World), based on the inventory of each individual flight. I do not purport to have any expertise in the complexities of fare structuring, but the above seems to indicate that US's web posted numbers have little to do with available inventory for June 2008.

For ALL You Negative Naysayers Out There! I Had The Head Of Our International Catering On My Flight Yesterday And I Asked Him The Question About Food Being Served On The LHR Flight and He Told Me Flat Out...It WILL Be The Same Service As is On Other T/A Flights! SO Quit Complaining Already!! <_<

For ALL You Negative Naysayers Out There! I Had The Head Of Our International Catering On My Flight Yesterday And I Asked Him The Question About Food Being Served On The LHR Flight and He Told Me Flat Out...It WILL Be The Same Service As is On Other T/A Flights! SO Quit Complaining Already!! <_<

Well that's not good since US has the worst product on the market in ta.

it would be nice if the website would reflect that service level.
fflyers need to justify that $1500-$2000 premium over BA for a far inferior product :rolleyes: