More Club Closings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three US Airways Clubs Close – US Airways to move near United Airlines in Los Angeles and San Francisco

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - As part of our continued effort to control costs, US Airways is closing three US Airways Clubs -- Los Angeles, San Francisco and West Palm Beach -- effective April 2, 2005. The eight full-time and 10 part-time employees in these Clubs have received furlough packages.

Additionally, the company will not re-open the Orlando US Airways Club, which has been closed since October 2004 due to hurricane damage. The Orlando Club representatives were furloughed at that time, and have since been notified of the company’s decision not to re-open the Club.

US Airways decided to close the Los Angeles and San Francisco Clubs in anticipation of later this year moving its terminals at those airports. There are no plans at this time to operate Clubs at the new terminal locations. Because the US Airways terminals will be closer to United, US Airways Club members who hold a same-day United ticket or boarding pass, and also have paid the appropriate fee, will have access to all United Airlines Red Carpet Clubs.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

etops1 said:
we know this already
[post="257929"][/post]​

And, the fact that the information was posted 2 days, and 3 pages ago, matters because...?

It had not been posted by USA32pilot, therefore it was not yet true, official, or believable. Now it is. I'm so relieved. I was afraid that evil TADJR was posting vicious rumors again.
:lol:

jimntx said:
And, the fact that the information was posted 2 days, and 3 pages ago, matters because...?

It had not been posted by USA32pilot, therefore it was not yet true, official, or believable. Now it is. I'm so relieved. I was afraid that evil TADJR was posting vicious rumors again.
:lol:
[post="257953"][/post]​

I've always wanted to do this and even though it isnt earthshattering news, it still counts.

Who first stated on these boards that 3 clubs were going to close? MEMEMEME! :lol: :up: ;)

Any information as to exactly where US will be at SFO? Will it just be that US will share a couple of UA gates in the North Terminal?

I ask because I seem to recall that at one time the plan was for AA to move into South, UA expanding into AA's current space, and everyone else would be in Concourse C and the old international terminal.

USA320Pilot said:
Because the US Airways terminals will be closer to United, US Airways Club members who hold a same-day United ticket or boarding pass, and also have paid the appropriate fee, will have access to all United Airlines Red Carpet Clubs.

Don't accuse me of "shooting the messenger," because I'm not, but what of those US Airways Club members who are flying on a US Airways flight from LAX or SFO? Are they pretty much outta luck at that point? If so, this seems like a good way to funnel more traffic over to United or a different competitor.

TRANSLATION to remove spin:

Three More US Airways Clubs Close

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - As part of our continued effort to dumb down our product, US Airways is closing three more US Airways Clubs -- Los Angeles, San Francisco and West Palm Beach -- effective April 2, 2005. The eight full-time and 10 part-time employees in these Clubs have received furlough packages.

Additionally, the company will use hurricane damage as an excuse not to re-open the Orlando US Airways Club, which has been closed since October 2004. The Orlando Club representatives were furloughed at that time, and have since been notified of the company’s excuse not to re-open the Club.

US Airways decided to close the Los Angeles and San Francisco Clubs in advance of later this year moving its terminals at those airports. There are no plans at this time to explain why the club closings are occuring months before the flight operations move to the new terminal locations. Because the US Airways terminals will be closer to United, US Airways Club members who hold a same-day United ticket or boarding pass, and also have been stupid enough to pay yet another fee, will have access to all United Airlines Red Carpet Clubs.

When they say the terminal will be closer to United in LAX does that mean were relocating to terminal 6 or 7 or somewhere else. Kinda strange that they are closing the doors on those clubs so early....hmmmmm. Guess this should tick off alot of FF's. Welcome to our world with the "drastic" cuts.

tug_slug said:
How bout cheap fares, thats what you and everyone else want's isnt it?

Funny thing about all this is when the employees were taking it in the short's there wasnt a reason for the passengers to jump ship now that their being directly affected they see no reason to stay with this pig of an airline.
[post="257838"][/post]​

This is where you are wrong. I want something better than an airborne bus and would pay for it if it were available. Unfortunately, with the club closings and crappy meals, my transcon $$ are going to UA now. There is no reason left to fly US to the West Coast anymore.

US2 said:
This is where you are wrong. I want something better than an airborne bus and would pay for it if it were available. Unfortunately, with the club closings and crappy meals, my transcon $$ are going to UA now. There is no reason left to fly US to the West Coast anymore.
[post="258412"][/post]​

Would you be so kind as to tell us what fare you are paying to UA for those transcons?

All this drama over a Club?! I've been a Club member for years, have flown out of both SFO and LAX very often and, if lucky, I maybe get 10 mins in each Club when I'm in those cities. This is hardly a reason to stop flying US. If Club access is that important and SFO/LAX are frequent destinations, buy a UA membership which will allow you to use the UA Club if you're flying US. Very simple folks.

Don't ever make a cock roach mad!

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flig...ways-usat_x.htm

Frequent US Airways flier Art Pushkin of Long Island, N.Y., says he's disappointed by the latest closures, especially the California clubs.

"Business travelers no longer have a reason to favor US Airways for a transcontinental flight," he says.

The clubs are "indispensable," Pushkin says, because they provide respite during long layovers, meeting space and VIP treatment.

Airline marketing consultant Jay Sorensen expects the move to generate "nasty mail" from frequent fliers who depend on the clubs.

"My guess is they're in for a lifetime supply of lipstick as well" said L4PI, an angry cockroach from NC

Travelpro72 said:
When they say the terminal will be closer to United in LAX does that mean were relocating to terminal 6 or 7 or somewhere else.  Kinda strange that they are closing the doors on those clubs so early....hmmmmm.  Guess this should tick off alot of FF's.  Welcome to our world with the "drastic" cuts.
[post="258032"][/post]​

The move at LAX from T1 to T6 has been in the works for almost 3 years now! Part of the problem, from what I have been told, is that there is no baggage room for US now, and neither UA nor LAWA want's to build new office space or a new bag belt for US. T6 currently has a few DL gates, CO, Copa, UA and, according to LAX website, AM departures.

Hence, we remain in T1 where you have to run a labrynth of SW pax in order to get to your gate.

PineyBob said:
LOL! To bad most of SWA's Customers don't know what a labyrinth is!!!!!
[post="259283"][/post]​

Careful. Fly the DAL-HOU shuttle midweek, and a sales trainer might very well be the least well-compensated guy on the plane. I'm sure the oil types, finance guys, IT folks, et al have no idea what a labyrinth is.

As an aside, head to a hub and check out the crowd hanging around the next 757 heading for Vegas or down to see the mouse, and rerun your demographic analysis. I think you might be suprised (or, at a very minimum, dump the incorrect southwest soundbite?).

Status
Not open for further replies.