Non Rev Policy?

"... yet people never scream that its not fair that someone with 24 years seniority might bump someone with 24.2 years.."

That is fair because it's the way seniority works...

a320av8r said:
"... yet people never scream that its not fair that someone with 24 years seniority might bump someone with 24.2 years.."

That is fair because it's the way seniority works...
[post="300006"][/post]​

I have to agree with you, seniority is fair. Granted I only have 5 years and check-in time would help me exponetially. However, with how we have it now, I can look up the flights that are going to be close and gauge my chances. Delta does it the seniority way also, it's just fair.

Although the way everything else is changing, I think check in time is going to be the winner.

evprincess said:
I have to agree with you, seniority is fair.
Although the way everything else is changing, I think check in time is going to be the winner.
[post="300076"][/post]​

I'd like to reassure many that he AWA check in is fair and above board. You know exactly where you stand at all times. It is the unknown of the Seniority system that makes HP people anxious. If I check a flight and it has 8 seats and only 2 non revs listed under the US system and pack up my family drive to the airport only to be bumped by a group of Sr people that listed only an hour before the flight or maybe they where listed on an later flight and decided to go earlier. I would have a problem with that. Under the AWA system when I check in (and I print this out from work or home) it not only checks me in but tells me where I am on the list. So absent a unusualy walk up full fare crowd or operational issues I know before I go to the airport if I am getting on that flight. That makes the benefit that much better becuase you really can use it and plan your trips. If every time I non-rev it's a total crap shoot that devalues the benifit emencely. And the AWA way is FAIR to all equally. Even if your very senior and you really want to be somewhere you check in at 4 hrs before and know exaclty the situation. It seems to me anyone that compares the nonrev senority issue to other union issues is off base. All we are asking you Sr US non revs to do is be considerate and plan your trips. No advantage for being lazy and doing everything last minute. Sorry for being so long winded and really am looking forward to working with all of you!!!

UPNAWAY said:
I'd like to reassure many that he AWA check in is fair and above board. You know exactly where you stand at all times. It is the unknown of the Seniority system that makes HP people anxious. If I check a flight and it has 8 seats and only 2 non revs listed under the US system and pack up my family drive to the airport only to be bumped by a group of Sr people that listed only an hour before the flight or maybe they where listed on an later flight and decided to go earlier. I would have a problem with that. Under the AWA system when I check in (and I print this out from work or home) it not only checks me in but tells me where I am on the list. So absent a unusualy walk up full fare crowd or operational issues I know before I go to the airport if I am getting on that flight. That makes the benefit that much better becuase you really can use it and plan your trips. If every time I non-rev it's a total crap shoot that devalues the benifit emencely. And the AWA way is FAIR to all equally. Even if your very senior and you really want to be somewhere you check in at 4 hrs before and know exaclty the situation. It seems to me anyone that compares the nonrev senority issue to other union issues is off base. All we are asking you Sr US non revs to do is be considerate and plan your trips. No advantage for being lazy and doing everything last minute. Sorry for being so long winded and really am looking forward to working with all of you!!!
[post="300106"][/post]​

Well unlike HP - we at US have many situations such as commuting etc. - We at US a very large percentage get displaced tdy-ed etc and we need to commute home. you guys over at HP only have to worry about phoenix and the travel is a pleasure. We - many crew at US have to commute on the front and back end of our trip - so seniority does help b/c alot of us only have 10 or 20 minutes to catch out flight. No disrespect but most people atHP have no idea about commuting etc. It will be a whole different world when theres not only phoenix to choose from - I know they say Las Vegas is a hub to, but lets face facts they have less than 30 f/as there and that is no hub to me. that is a bus stop at La Guardia filled with people to commute home at night. It's going to be a whole new world!!

Ultimately, It will be HP management that decides. "He who has the gold makes the rules."

lpbrian said:
Ultimately, It will be HP management that decides. "He who has the gold makes the rules."
[post="300111"][/post]​

That is true and we will live with whatever they do decide.
In my mind commuting is almost a seperate issue? If you relocated by choice than it shouldn't reflect. If the company relocated you than maybe you get a higher boarding class? Hell I wouldn't evenhave a problem if crews going to/from work got a higher priority I just can't have them bumping me 15 minutes before a flight and I would suspect operationaly that causes problems.

UPNAWAY said:
That is true and we will live with whatever they do decide.
In my mind commuting is almost a seperate issue? If you relocated by choice than it shouldn't reflect. If the company relocated you than maybe you get a higher boarding class? Hell I wouldn't evenhave a problem if crews going to/from work got a higher priority I just can't have them bumping me 15 minutes before a flight and I would suspect operationaly that causes problems.
[post="300117"][/post]​

Yeah thats true - however I havent been bumped in years so its not like it happens all the time.. However it is the casr that you get displaced etc TDY - which people may not like being tdy-ed somewhere but I have been through it several times - I guess you just have to make the best and we wil all adapt no matter what the policy turns out to be

a320av8r said:
It would sure pi$$ me off if I were trying to commute to work and got bumped off by a new hire going to CLT for lunch with a friend because he/she didn't have anything better to do at home and got to the airport 4 hours early. (Or had friend agent check said person in.)
Who actually decides who checked in first anyway, the friend?

Seniority.
[post="299904"][/post]​

You speak of new hires as if they are worthless and really they're your teammates. They deserve as much respect as anyone and being our teammates I'd be pleased to allow them equal footing in our benefits.

goodgirl37 said:
Yeah thats true - however I havent been bumped in years so its not like it happens all the time..

In 10 years outside of a MX I have been bumped 3 times. I travel at least twice a month. And one of those was LAS on a Sunday night (I learned my leason there)!
That is a good point!
WARNING>>>>>>>
Never try to go from Vegas on a Sunday ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The one ecxeption is the "crew hauler" at 2am from LAS to PHX a 747 that is 80% employees. You might make that but anything earlier, how do you say back east?
FAGEED A BOUDT IT! :p

HPGUY said:
You speak of new hires as if they are worthless and really they're your teammates. They deserve as much respect as anyone and being our teammates I'd be pleased to allow them equal footing in our benefits.
[post="300125"][/post]​

You are right they deserve a ton of respect- as I am junior at US and I knowthey have to put up with more than you can imagine. However I do think that seniority prevails in this situation even though I am junior - you could just have a friend check you in etc. Seniority is a sure fire way and there is no working around it.. Hp folks don't understand that may US people work and live in different cities.. For example: Your trip ends in PHX and you live in LAS or LAX and you need to commute home you may only have 15 minutes between flights so that is where alot of people are coming from - Last night one of my crewmwmbers had 10 minutes to catch her flight home. You will see when there is more to the airline than PHX. and I am one of the most junior people out there and saying SENIORITY is the way to go.

WARNING>>>>>>>
Never try to go from Vegas on a Sunday ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The one ecxeption is the "crew hauler" at 2am from LAS to PHX a 747 that is 80% employees. You might make that but anything earlier, how do you say back east?
FAGEED A BOUDT IT! :p
[post="300128"][/post]​
[/quote]

typo that is 757
we could use a 747 then maybe we could get home on a sunday evening!

goodgirl37 said:
You are right they deserve a ton of respect- as I am junior at US and I knowthey have to put up with more than you can imagine. However I do think that seniority prevails in this situation even though I am junior - you could just have a friend check you in etc. Seniority is a sure fire way and there is no working around it.. Hp folks don't understand that may US people work and live in different cities.. For example: Your trip ends in PHX and you live in LAS or LAX and you need to commute home you may only have 15 minutes between flights so that is where alot of people are coming from - Last night one of my crewmwmbers had 10 minutes to catch her flight home. You will see when there is more to the airline than PHX. and I am one of the most junior people out there and saying SENIORITY is the way to go.
[post="300129"][/post]​

You could have a friend check you in if it's within 4 hours of the flight. That's not cheating it's part of the system. Anyone can check in from home or at the airport within 4hrs of the scheduled departure time of the flight. The check-in is time stamped by the computer..

And being as the New US Airways will be using Shares reservation system ( the current AWA systerm), it is likely that since the system is already set up with AWA current non-rev procedures that we will be using some form of them.

d328pilot said:
What will be the non-rev policy for the new company? Seniority based or based on check in times?
[post="299803"][/post]​

AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!
This has already been hashed about!
It is a dead horse until official word is given!!!
IT HAS NOT YET BEEN ANNOUNCED!!!

AND, get over the "gate agent friend checking you in" already!!!
ANYONE can check THEMSELVES in from home beginning at 4hours prior!!
That is the earliest the system will allow!!!
NO ONE has an advantage!
Except maybe a sup, but seriously, I don't know any who would jeopordize their job for something like that!

desertgal said:
AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!
This has already been hashed about!
It is a dead horse until official word is given!!!
IT HAS NOT YET BEEN ANNOUNCED!!!

AND, get over the "gate agent friend checking you in" already!!!
ANYONE can check THEMSELVES in from home beginning at 4hours prior!!
That is the earliest the system will allow!!!
NO ONE has an advantage!
Except maybe a sup, but seriously, I don't know any who would jeopordize their job for something like that!
[post="300153"][/post]​

Feel free to bow out of the convesation if it upsets you so much Desertgal. I people are still interested in discussing it they should be allowed.

HPGUY said:
You speak of new hires as if they are worthless and really they're your teammates.  They deserve as much respect as anyone and being our teammates I'd be pleased to allow them equal footing in our benefits.
[post="300125"][/post]​

I totally agree here.

Many senior US Airways employees have treated new hires like absolute garbage for many many years now. I see it on a daily basis at my station with the way the senior mammas treat the newhires (some of whom are actually pretty good at what they do).

At US you're either in the top 25% of the senior workforce or you are scum... it is sad but that the way many people feel and are made to feel by an overly vocal minority of their coworkers. Not all of the workforce is like that here, but I've witnessed it throughout the system....absolute stupidities like 45 year old men with 25 years seniority hopping in front of 60 year old women with 15 years seniority to get into a hotel shuttle at the CLT training center. The men screaming "I'm more senior push aside I've gotta get back for a beer". :blink: :rolleyes: :down:

Case in point, look at how no senior FAs or pilots seem to give a damn about what is going on at Midatlantic. :down:

Latest posts

Back