Pilots4fair

Crazy6

Apr 14, 2004
On January 7, 2004 a group of concerned pilots filed a lawsuit in the Eastern District of New York against Duane Woerth and ALPA. The chief complaint comes from ALPA's failure to fairly represent the pilots of the USAirways Group wholly owned subsidiaries Allegheny and Piedmont. In particular is the LOA 81 that is an integral part of the concessionary agreement between these pilots and USAirways. LOA 81 is the so called "Jets for Jobs" imbroglio visited upon these and other affiliated pilot groups. In exchange for scope relief the mainline pilots have bullied their way into the negotiations processes at all wholly owned and affiliated carriers. The gist of the deal was that 50% of all new 50 seat jets brought to the subsidiary property would be flown by pilots on the Affected Pilot List (furloughees.) Although these carriers acceeded to the extortionate demands of the mainline pilots, it seems that after the deal was struck the mainline pilots wanted to change the deal. Without consulting or advising with the wholly owned pilots they struck a new deal with their managers to fly 100% of all 70 seat jets and 50% of the 50 seat jets beyond the first 25. A significant difference. Where once we were asked now we are told. Then we discover that Duane Woerth, after several months of obfuscation, had signed the new agreement (LOA 83) knowing full well the subsidiaries were not party to the change.Hence the lawsuit. Last week ALPA was served with the notice of our intent to litigate. Shame on ALPA, shame on Duane Woerth, and shame on U.

Fine, let's go back to the old contract language that says all jets will be flown on the mainline by mainline pilots. We'll negotiate competitive payrates, recall our furloughed pilots and do away with J4J. Send the CRJs back to Canada, the EMBs back to Brazil and pull the F-100s out of the desert.

A320 Driver B)

ANYBODY can file a court case. I really doubt that the WO pilot's lawyers stand even a SMALL chance against ALPA's high priced legal team. All that's going to happen is that you'll waste your entire MEC's budget fighting a losing battle, then wind up with zero cash to fight your grievances and negotiate your contract. Not very bright, IMO. ALPA is YOUR OWN union! If they say it's legal per their bylaws, then it is! Wait and see! The lawyers are probably out getting prices for new BMWs right now!

The problem with ALPA's bylaws is that they change to fit Duane Woerth's need at the time. Witness the CCAIR negotiations. This is the problem with ALPA representing M/L and Express pilots, and the bigger issues with multiple pilot groups owned by the same company competing for flying time (M/L and the W/O pilots are basically whipsawed against each other), and a trade union representing interests larger than the individual groups they are supposed to represent.

Absolutely NO union dues are being spent on the litigation. This is funded entirely by like minded pilots.

Crazy6 said:
Absolutely NO union dues are being spent on the litigation. This is funded entirely by like minded pilots.
If that's the case, it's a dead issue already. If your own MEC isn't even supporting you, you are really wasting your time (and money)! I'll bet this doesn't even get to a court room before you're out of money and the case is settled.

Crazy,

I suggest you review your retainer agreement ASAP.

As a plaintiff, you will have access to, privileged or confidential information.
Communications from counsel, or from the Pilot Committee, or
any entity charged with acting on behalf of the plaintiff group, shall be deemed
confidential communications. Communications between you and any person other
than counsel, another person acting on my behalf, or another plaintiff or person
acting on behalf of plaintiffs, will not be privileged. Therefore, please do not
communicate concerning this Lawsuit with any such person. This includes, but is
not limited to, verbal discussions, e-mail, and comments posted on Internet forums. If you are unsure whether a fellow pilot is also a plaintiff, you may determine that person’s status only by determining whether that person is listed on an amended caption of the Lawsuit or by checking with a Pilot Committee member.

The RJDC lawsuit has been going on for several years now and is not supported financially or otherwise by the Comair or ASA MEC.

They are in the discovery phase. If the ALG/PDT pilots believe that THEIR UNION to which they pay dues, is not acting in their best interests and providing a duty of fair representation then they have not only the RIGHT but the DUTY to take the union to court.

They're paying a lot of $$$ to ALPA -- they deserve to have their contract enforced with every bit the vigor that ALPA would use in the defense of yours.

Didn't the comair pilots case set some precedent here? Is ALPA set up the same way here with the WO and Mainline as it was at Comair/Delta?

This is a perfect example of malpa (mainline airline pilots association) sticking it to the express guys. look at my name 2ndtier, this is how I and every express pilot is treated. I make alot less therefore I pay less dues. to top it off when I was first hired at my airline I had mainline pilots trying to explain scope to me and how us express carriers were dragging down the wages since we were flying larger airplanes for less. I am proud to say that I dont work for mesa or any other whore of a carrier, My airline used to be one of the highest paid for turboprop. Now the mainline guys are giving all the planes to the wores and still pointing the fingers at us. In the long run mesa and other contract carriers are growing at rapid rates soon to be flying the 70 seaters for $5.00 per hour. what ever happend to take care of your own?

Ok enough of that I feel better.

Take care of your own!!!!! :lol :lol: :lol: :lol: Your taking about US Airways mainline, one if not the most-self centered pilot groups. A group that needs to realize that they are just a big regional airline with a handful of Europe and Carr. flights. And stop thinking the world owes you everything, even with the jumpseat on W/O I have seeen the arrogance.
My good friend left US Airways to go to United, and he said the pilot groups were as different as night and day. He was happy to leave, and spend 3 wonderful years with a pilot group trying to save the jobs of there furloughs.

US Airways Suxs, but hey it beat driving. :up:

WSurf said:
Take care of your own!!!!! :lol :lol: :lol: :lol: Your taking about US Airways mainline, one if not the most-self centered pilot groups. A group that needs to realize that they are just a big regional airline with a handful of Europe and Carr. flights. And stop thinking the world owes you everything, even with the jumpseat on W/O I have seeen the arrogance.
My good friend left US Airways to go to United, and he said the pilot groups were as different as night and day. He was happy to leave, and spend 3 wonderful years with a pilot group trying to save the jobs of there furloughs.

US Airways Suxs, but hey it beat driving. :up:
I believe UAIR may now be the largest air-carrier in the Carribbean? It has more than just a handfull of flights to the area. And what nine, flights to Europe? That is also more than a handfull...but barely less than two hands full.