Separation of Church and State?

I suspect for the same reason that the word god is on our currency, that there is a prayer opening in Congress, that we have clergy on as paid staff in the military and numerous other examples. I'm not really sure. Cost to fight it? Not worth the fight? Who knows. Just because it is happening does not mean that it will in the future (Jim Crow laws, segregation, female emancipation...) and it does not mean that is is in accordance with the COTUS.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm still trying to figure out what people mean when they say seperation of chcurch and state does not appear on the consitution.

I believe that they are trying to argue that since those exact words do not exist in the COTUS that the intent of the 1st amendment means something different. I have yet to hear their idea of what it means.

Reactions: 3 people
Goes back to a letter written by Thomas Jefferson and often used as the COTUS reference mistakenly.

I do not think it is a mistake, it is the intent of the 1st amendment. To use the term separation of church and state is easier than to quote the 1st directly. Since they say the same thing, it is interchangeable.

Then where is this verbage that the Supremes would dissent or support?

I'm not sure what you are asking but "separation of church and state" = "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

Jefferson who you quoted earlier used the term "wall of separation between church and state". I fail to understand why anyone can question the idea at least so far as Jefferson is concerned. The idea of separation is quite clear IMO and this has been the law of the land for a quite some time now.

You are free to practice any religion or as many as you choose, just do it in private and do not foist it on others and do not expect government to endorse your beliefs in any way shape or form.