To Usa320pilot

USA320pilot,

Let me begin by stating that you really need change your attitude a little. You really come off as being a bum kissing yes man with no integrity. It is just as easy for those of us at other carriers to take your stance on a broader plane.

eg.

Your stance: Give what the company needs regardless of how painful, at least you still have a job.

Other carriers: Why doesnt U just fall on the sword and go away, at least the rest of the industry can survive.

Your stance: The LCC's are changing the industry and we have to compete with SWA and JBLU's at all costs.

Other Carriers: USairways employees have taken huge cuts in pay and work rules and benefits now we must do the same thing at all costs.

The sword cuts both ways. It is all in the persrpective. Your tactics as a person possibly in the know only tend to degrade emotions. Emotions are what ultimately killed EAL. Why dont you try to build up your fellow employee rather than give ultimatums. If you really care about Usairways and the job it provides then you should focus on your love of the company not the job and the people you come in contact with every day. As of right now most feel you are only concerned with your job.

Respectfully,
Gadget

700UW said:
And I believe Cavalier has hit the nail on the head.
For the most part, I agree. "Fair," however, is in the eye of the beholder.

Mechanics have transferrable skills, while pilots do not. Pilots have to make the right decisions in a rapid-fire fashion, which mechanics do not. Mechanics are paid far less than pilots. Paycuts at that level don't just change the standard of living, they can completely eliminate it.

So what's fair? Depends on one's perspective.

smallstFSA said:
At 13.10 an hour and no retirement medical benefits customer service and fleet service agents can find comparable employment outside of U. I'm no hardliner but U doesn't deserve our experience at those wages/benefits. Please someone enlighten me, what does CWA and Fleet Service loose by going to bankrupcy?
Dude:

Comparable employment fits in with the retail sector.
Does WalMart pay $13.10 per hour and provide
benefits to their employees? NO. They do not.
$13.10 per hour is even higher than customer
service positions at high end retailers such as
Nordstrom and Kaufmann's. Just remember,
working as a CSA at US is a job, and should not
be mistaken for a career because those days
are over.

SpinDoc said:
Comparable employment fits in with the retail sector.
Does WalMart pay $13.10 per hour and provide benefits to their employees? NO. They do not.
No, but I wouldn't call a US agent comparable to a Wal-Mart checker, either. The skill set is vastly different.

$13.10 per hour is even higher than customer service positions at high end retailers such as Nordstrom and Kaufmann's.
Salespeople at those two companies earn commissions, however, and good ones end up making a good deal more than $13.10 per hour.

This topic has covered alot of ground from my first look at it a couple hours ago.

A320pilot,
Congratulations on working in the profession that probably has the LEAST transferrable skillset imaginable, esp. at the compensation level pilots have been used to. Because you cannot take your skills elsewhere, you and lots of other pilots have no other choice but to accept the wage your employers are willing to offer. Given that there are probably close to 10K US based major airline pilots out of work, pilots will have little ability to dictate their salaries for years to come.

If my son tells me he wants to become an airline pilot, I'll probably sit down and have a long chat with him.

Of course, a collateral benefit is that military pilots are much more likely to stay in the military instead of jumping ship after the taxpayers have invested significantly in their training. Perhaps that is the real motive for the government's attack on airline employee salaries. :shock:

mweiss said:
Not the point. Teddy Xidas was not hired by US Airways to be a union rep. She was hired to be a flight attendant. In that role, she is no different from any other FA with comparable seniority. This is by design. You know this.
Mweiss,

I believe Teddy will be long remembered by many who flew with her as a flight attendant (for sure) and by those she represented.

I'll even go as far to say...THIS MANAGMENT WILL NOT SOON FORGET HER EITHER. EVEN AFTER THEY ARE GONE. :D and even if she should return to the line.

Yup, you can bank that one!

USA320Pilot said:
Bruce Lakefield told ALPA on July 17 that the company may default on the loan guarantee on September 30. Moreover, Lakefield has said that US Airways must cut $1.5 billion in annual costs by September to avoid another possible bankruptcy filing.
You know what, I along with plenty of others in here don't give a flying @@@@ what Lakefield told you, ALPA, the unions, the stock holders, the employees, the BOD or God himself. We don't believe him period. And that goes for you too.

And while I thinking about how much I stinking love you tell me what freaking target the pilot group hit 2 times that other employee groups didn't? It sure wasn't the target that the company first asked for , SO STOP YOUR LYING AND PLAY ON WORDS.

My point is simple your posts do NOTHING but turn more and more employees against wanting to do anything for the airline.

Zeus said:
Teddy could make the most of her talents back on the front lines. :)
And you have been awfully quiet.

Why are you not working with your buddy at Gate Gourmet?

USA320Pilot said:
Mweiss:

I fully understand the Dell & Home Depot business model. The primary reason these two companies are successful is that they have learned how to cut distribution expense so they can offer a quality product at a lower price.

Isn't that what the LCC's have done?

The challenge for US Airways and its employees, who are some of the best employees in the business, is to figure out a way with management to reduce our cost of distribution to offer fares the customer is willing to pay.
Yes you have let us all know how you feel havent you? You already mentioned heavy maintenance in a previous post so what would be next to go almighty management God wantabee. I am sure it won't have anything to do with the pilot group now will it? Lets hear it.. as long as you are not a pilot then your challenge is to vote yes to vote your job away so the precious pilots who have given up so much can keep on truckin.

mweiss said:
For the most part, I agree. "Fair," however, is in the eye of the beholder.

Mechanics have transferrable skills, while pilots do not. Pilots have to make the right decisions in a rapid-fire fashion, which mechanics do not. Mechanics are paid far less than pilots. Paycuts at that level don't just change the standard of living, they can completely eliminate it.

So what's fair? Depends on one's perspective.
What do you mean rapid -fire decisions haha so do bus drivers (that would be road ones) And where do you get off saying mechanics don't have to make rapid fire decisions I was under the impression they did and can be under extreme pressure to get aircraft repaired and in back in service while keeping everything safe?

WorldTraveler:

You seem to think that the only thing pilots can do is fly aircraft. I happen to have an Aeronautical Engineering degree, I am a retired U.S. Air Force Reserve officer where I held a key operations officer position, I currently am a successful commodities trader, and I was recently offered the opportunity to become the head hitting instructor and owner of a successful baseball hitting school.

Furthermore, there are many pilot’s who have graduate degrees, operate a business, and have more opportunities outside of flying than I.

With all due respect, pilots can do many other things than just fly aircraft.

Separately, what this company needs most is for its employees to be the most productive in the industry and for the company to have a competitive cost structure, not the lowest labor pay rates. Too many people focus on the hourly wage rate and not the total labor expense, which is the key figure.

This is not about me because regardless of what happens to the company I am protected because my wife and I have been financially prudent and we both have options. However, if the doors close for good I believe that many US Airways employees cannot make that statement.

In fact, that’s why the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote earlier this week that “dozens of US Airways employees attended meetings at Pittsburgh International Airport to get information on what to do if they lose their jobs. Most employees who attended a meeting yesterday afternoon said they were worried about their jobs but had no plans to bail out early. They said the job market in Western Pennsylvania made it difficult to find another job that paid as well as their positions with US Airways (click here for story).â€￾

Thus, I still profess it’s better to have a job with pay, benefits, travel privileges, J4J if desired (some work groups), and recall rights than just unemployment. Regardless, it appears the AFA has recognized the importance of having an agreement because apparently its adviors recommended they negotiate with the company.

According to Pittsburgh AFA LEC Rep Teddy Xidas "the (AFA) analyst's report recommended that the flight attendants agree to negotiate with the company, to protect its interests should US Airways seek bankruptcy again," the Tribune-Review reported yesterday (click here for story).

As I have said before, it's up to each union and its members on whether or not they want to participate in the new business plan or seek employment elsewhere, which is the bottom line.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot