US/UA Merger Master Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I covet nothing but do look forward to joining a top tier airline.

I want nothing from the folks at UAL.

I am so over the disaster that is LCC that I look forward to the stability of UAL and not to be aplogetic of the product that you are forced to represent.

I think that many feel the same.

The people are not the problem-the system/policies are the problem here at the U.

The old U feeling of "PIT is Mecca" has disappeared. People ,I think the majority, have moved passed this phase.

Elevation, I was talking about training centers, it is obvious that you didn't read my post, Everyone is headed for BK with oil at 126 bucks per barrell... Tilton is crap and we all know it, he didn't do what he was supposed to in BK... So once again CLT and PHX training centers would probably be toast... I doubt that DEN is in Danger, look at SWA in SFO and IAD, they are not the kitty kats meow, Over the next two years - when the hedges start eroding, we will see how things pan out...

Yeah look at SFO IAD DEN there all in trouble. DEN is in the most trouble that's all, sorry but true. SWA and there hedges will only be in trouble if fuel goes down drastically.

I covet nothing but do look forward to joining a top tier airline.

I want nothing from the folks at UAL.

I am so over the disaster that is LCC that I look forward to the stability of UAL and not to be aplogetic of the product that you are forced to represent.

I think that many feel the same.

The people are not the problem-the system/policies are the problem here at the U.

Well things defintely are not perfect over here at UAL, but we all know the product is much better.. We have just as crappy mgmt as you have, just in a different way, God help us if we get two loads of SHIAT on the wagon..

Yeah look at SFO IAD DEN there all in trouble. DEN is in the most trouble that's all, sorry but true. SWA and there hedges will only be in trouble if fuel goes down drastically.

LOL, you are kidding right? IAD is hardly in trouble, DEN doubt it... SFO - in trouble from who... Think before you post... SWA is huge in OAK and BWI ... They would essentially steal their own business to expand rapidly at IAD or SFO ... DEN is the most likely to suffer but not nearly as bad as F9... No doubt the SWA effect does put pressure on, but lets tak a look at PHL and SWA, If that didn't put US under during 2 BK, well - I hardly doubt it will crush anyone else... Not true about the hedges either, It will drastically hurt them if they have to charge the same as major network carriers with FF plans and offer less of a product.. If SWA is on the same playing field, they will post losses the same - if not more than everyone else, their hedges saved them - smart move- but it may not bode well for them in the future.

Well things defintely are not perfect over here at UAL, but we all know the product is much better.. We have just as crappy mgmt as you have, just in a different way, God help us if we get two loads of SHIAT on the wagon..

Understood. Let's hope that we all can do something usefull with this mess..if it happens. Otherwise and always? = Best to all of "yours"/"ours" regardless. The larger portions of us all picked this insane business for similar reasons, and we've far more in common with each other than we do with anything that otherwise seperates us.

If I read you correctly you are concerned about ITL travel and there are many on this side who would look forward to a return of the "Division" or the BA, days.

Actually, I could really give a rat's ass what I fly, since my primary objective is to take personal leaves to continue my education. What I do care about is working under a management team that is visionary and that can set and execute a product standard that I can take pride in delivering.

Ironically, I was one of the few UAL employees in favor of the proposed merger with US back in 2000. This go around, I am totally opposed. Back in the day, I was on the PSA end of the USAir merger and also the US-PI merger. Historically, I've supported DOH as I've seen it work through the two mergers while I was at PSA/USAir.

This go around I don't support it, or at least the idea of a management team from Tempe running the show. I think they have completely degraded the US Airways product as well as the US Airways brand. I don't want to see closets removed from our First Class cabins; I don't want cheezy advertisements plastered all over our tray tables; I don't want to see the ice cream sundae cart done away with; I don't want to see plastic ware in First Class; and I don't want Las Vegas Showgirls plastered all over Hemispheres Magazine.

United does have a few things going for it: The new International Premium Product; p.s. Service to New York; Economy Plus; and Explus (3 class service on United Express). I can just imagine Team Tempe getting their hands on United's strongest attributes and f**king it all up. I have NO faith in Doug Parker nor Scott Kirby, nor anyone else in the sandbox. NONE. ZERO. There is no strong brand identity at the "new" US Airways. There is no point of differentiation in their products and services.

I believe that Team Tempe, under Doug Parker, is a group of amateurs that are not really committed to running a truly customer-focused world class global carrier. They have demoralized the US Airways East employees; they have alienated US Airways' core customer base (the east coast business traveler that pays a revenue premium); they have trashed the Envoy product, and they have repeatedly demonstrated that they do not care about the premium business traveler. I don't believe that their mindset will change merely because they have become part of a larger carrier.

Vision, high standards, impeccability, and service excellence come from the core of one's essence. This is not something that is learned. If you're not born with it, it takes years of cultivation to become it. And Team Tempe has only demonstrated that they clearly do not have "it."

Actually, I could really give a rat's ass what I fly, since my primary objective is to take personal leaves to continue my education. What I do care about is working under a management team that is visionary and that can set and execute a product standard that I can take pride in delivering.

Your first seems an extremely sane notion...and I fully agree with the second as well..even though we then journey into idealistic territory...as we should methinks. :up: umm..despite any "maangement" teams.

Whatever else eventually proves true; I've no doubt that we'll all give it our best...as usual. That the Tempe Twits are a waste of time? = Fully proven...for over two full years. That this airline yet works at all? = Let's all take a pat on the back for that ;)

Understood. Let's hope that we all can do something usefull with this mess..if it happens. Otherwise and always? = Best to all of "yours"/"ours" regardless. The larger portions of us all picked this insane business for similar reasons, and we've far more in common with each other than we do with anything that otherwise seperates us.
We all know there nothing else we would rather do.

Very true. I think what will be telling is who follows him over there. You already are hearing Scooter is going which is scary enough. But, if you hear Travis Christ and SS are going, be afraid, be very very afraid.
Could you imagine SS over at United? My goodness. Imagine the possibilities of picking a new trash bag, creating a new beverage cart, new "improved" inflight food and plastic, plastic, plastic. I don't think she'd remain on the same course and I think truly she operates within a budget. Imagine telling her that the stairs on the 747 went to an "upper" deck. I think she'd be overwhelmed and just EXPLODE. Travis? Hell he'd wanna give you 500 miles cap and a fuel stop to SYD. I'm joking (I think :huh: )! ! ! I'm sure we wouldn't take UA down our path totally. I'm betting if this merger happens MOST of what UA does would stay or at least their products such as Eplus or their PS service.

While noble, your loyalty's seems to be divided.

You are on a track to leave for a better life but have a paternalistic feeling for your past employer.

I applaud you for wanting things to turn out OK. The U people do not want to denigrate the UAL product.

In fact we hope we can contribute to something better than US and UAL .

Nothing personal and I respect your posts

So, I will give you an example of the folks we are dealing with at TEMPE... I had a situation where I needed to talk to R. Carpenter in inflight, I called the switchboard, and somehow (god know how) i got S. Shamblin.. I said, oh, I'm sorry; I was trying to reach R. Carpenter.. So she says " let me transfer you" Ok, Thank you very much i say... So I am transferred from S. Shamblin to R. Carpenter, He answers the phone " HEEEYYY GIIRRLLLL" I said - EXCUSE ME!?!?!?!?! He says " Oh I thought this was S. Shambles, I said, well, as a professional in a workplace I would suggest you answer your phone in a different manner than "HEEYYYY GIRRRLLLL".... I was appauled.. Can you imagine having jokes like this in charge, It just makes me laugh... I just can't believe it... I immediately called HR, I just couldn't believe simeone at a corporation would answer their phone that way......

DO NOT fly over 100 hours per month... Or 300 per quarter, and I don't think that will be changing anytime soon... Once you hit 100 hours you are done.. I for one would be happy for the reserves at US, at least there is rotation over at UAL and that would for sure stick... But you can't pick up as a reserve - not even on your off days... Which kinda stinks...

100 hours a month! :shock: LOL! I don't think I've flown 100 hours in the last 5 months, which suits me fine. I doubt the 'special guest star' gig would last though, I'd probably be asked to show up and actually work on airplanes with some frequency. I'm not sure many F/As fly 100 hours or want to, reserve or lineholder, or if they even can at US. We used to time out at 80 (right? or was it 85?), and the moment you hit that you could call up and tell them not to call you for the rest of the month. Our blockholders (lineholders) are all about dropping to the minimum amount of hours they can. And those west F/As seem to be more concerned about vacation than anything else, so I certainly wouldn't peg these two groups as real go-getters trying to spend a hundred hours a month zooming around in an aluminum tube regardless of where it's going...

Rotation would be great, it's something our old biddys have been violently opposed to and they will finally be drowned out by a voice of reason and fairness on the issue. Hopefully the positive aspect of the US reserve system- choosing from available trips or remaining on call- would be adopted rather than the traditional 'we call you go'. I had a friend that flew for UA who was shocked when scheduling called early one morning and I answered, basically told them to knob off, and went back to bed. "You have a choice? What do you mean? What did you just do?" She also seemed to think I was perhaps furloughed or on some sort of suspension since she never actually saw me put on a uniform and roll out. It was hard to explain our way of doing things... she'd just look at me funny as I headed out to the bar. "I thought you were on call!"

I wouldn't work on my off days if you paid me triple and allowed me to nap in the last row the whole time, but a lot of people do. I'm sure that flexibility could be integrated.

No offense taken. And quite actually, my paternalistic feelings run much deeper with my present employer since my parents met while working at United back in the early days. I am UA progeny. Born and bred. And for the record, it's not the U people I am worried about denigrating the UA product. It's those AWA (management) amateurs that concern me... :down:

100 hours a month! :shock: LOL! I don't think I've flown 100 hours in the last 5 months, which suits me fine. I doubt the 'special guest star' gig would last though, I'd probably be asked to show up and actually work on airplanes with some frequency. I'm not sure many F/As fly 100 hours or want to, reserve or lineholder, or if they even can at US. We used to time out at 80 (right? or was it 85?), and the moment you hit that you could call up and tell them not to call you for the rest of the month. Our blockholders (lineholders) are all about dropping to the minimum amount of hours they can. And those west F/As seem to be more concerned about vacation than anything else, so I certainly wouldn't peg these two groups as real go-getters trying to spend a hundred hours a month zooming around in an aluminum tube regardless of where it's going...

Rotation would be great, it's something our old biddys have been violently opposed to and they will finally be drowned out by a voice of reason and fairness on the issue. Hopefully the positive aspect of the US reserve system- choosing from available trips or remaining on call- would be adopted rather than the traditional 'we call you go'. I had a friend that flew for UA who was shocked when scheduling called early one morning and I answered, basically told them to knob off, and went back to bed.

I wouldn't work on my off days if you paid me triple and allowed me to nap in the last row the whole time, but a lot of people do. I'm sure that flexibility could be integrated.

Well, at UAL its not a - you call we go - situation, we have 2 types of reserve - call in and ready... With call in reserve you find out the day before what trip you will work the next day and with ready you are on call day and night to cover sick calls basically or irregular ops... However, there is nothing less than a 4 hour call out... They must give you at least 4 hours no matter what.... Which is golden... None of that 2 hour stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back