Occupational Seniority

Unfortunately, machines didn't build American Airlines, people did, but these machines are going to end up replacing over half of the counter and gate agents that American employs, and AMR likes that! Machines don't draw paychecks, or earn benefits. This means bigger numbers on the balance sheets, which leads to bigger profit sharing checks for the executive level, plus much larger bonuses - not because they did anything spectacular, but because someone invented a one stop machine.

I, for one, still prefer that one on one interraction with personnel.

Wing,

I find the One-Stops very convenient and I know the FF LOVE them. Where I see a problem coming is with OSO/delays. That poor agent is going to be taking it from all sides! EEK!

Also troubling is the "Eagle-fication" of a few stations. LIT is going all RJ even though my MD-80 was chock-full (jumpseats included, we left behind a CJ) and on the next one they paid VOLS!

I'm not slamming Eagle at all, they work very hard for very little. Unfortunately, in LIT it is coming at the expense of Maxed-out AA agents and rampers. I guess we are now seeing how we can compete in these LCC times.

IIRC, the APA waived something in SCOPE but I haven't been able to find out exactly what. Depending on what it is, it could have some major ramifications across the system.

The next few months should be quite telling...

Coop

Wing: If you "still prefer that one on one interraction with personnel". I guess you still stand in line at a bank teller window to cash a check or make a deposit or payment instead of using the ATM machines.

Nuff Said!

Anyone who is still questioning whether or not the agent 'focus groups' that were just held in Dallas were a false front for decisions that had long been previously made, need no longer wonder. AA is now offering Voluntary Extended and Transitional Leaves throughout the system for agents.

If enough agents don't voluntarily "quit" to satisfy the company, the firings will begin in short order. Remember, airlines love to hand out pink slips over the holidays.

upsilon said:
Wing: If you "still prefer that one on one interraction with personnel". I guess you still stand in line at a bank teller window to cash a check or make a deposit or payment instead of using the ATM machines.

Nuff Said!
You reminded me of something Neeleman of Jetblue said when asked about his company's lack of self serve machines. It was something along the lines of "our customers don't mind not having the self serve machines because they just love talking to our employees"! Great answer, quick thinking, but quite a load of YOU-KNOW-WHAT!!!! :shock:

The majors serve a global customer base. 70% of the world's population speaks a language OTHER than english. The one stop machines will never be able to properly deal with that many languages. The boarding passes and other documentation printed from a one pass machine will still be in english, and will still be confusing. If not, you'll have to have a gate agent at every flight that speaks every language on the planet . . . just in case. Replacing gate agents and ticket counter agents with automation is not a very bright idea. I'm sure AA is looking at it only from the savings in payroll prospective, and hasn't even opened their blinded eyes to the problems it will create, rather than the costs it will save.

A few one stop machines may be ok, but saturating airports with them is going to create nitemares that the people that run this, and other airlines, aren't intelligently equipped to handle.

AAmech said:
You reminded me of something Neeleman of Jetblue said when asked about his company's lack of self serve machines. It was something along the lines of "our customers don't mind not having the self serve machines because they just love talking to our employees"! Great answer, quick thinking, but quite a load of YOU-KNOW-WHAT!!!! :shock:
great answer and great lie.

jetblue has kiosks at JFK, FLL, and LGB. that's what they plan on filling the former TWA lobby with at JFK according to the papers last week. no agents. just kiosks.

i like the kiosks too. i rarely have to worry anymore about some agent who is p-o'd at the world giving me a priority list card instead of boarding passes when the flight is half empty.

the kiosks also don't nit pick about whether or not my attire meets that agent's version of the dress code.

agents already have occ seniority to some degree. it just happens to be based on their AA date of hire, and not that of their current job class.

Get Over It Already said:
agents already have occ seniority to some degree. it just happens to be based on their AA date of hire, and not that of their current job class.
And that, is exactly what AMR is looking to change. Seniority based on job class/code instead of company hire date. A lot of employees in the agent groups are going to get screwed.

I was a flight attendant with Eagle for 10 years before I came over to AA. My company seniority is 3/87 while my Occupational seniority is 9/97. I am not quite sure what you are saying here but I don't think someone who was hired as a flight attendant at AA between 87-97 should be furloughed before me, just because I was on the property before them. We all knew when we transfered over to inflight that OCCUPATIONAL seniority rules everything from bidding to pay. The only thing that carried over in my case was vacation time and retirement. As an Eagle transfer my 7 weeks of training was unpaid and I had to start with a 0 sick bank as my 500 hours at Eagle were wipped out. As far as furloughs go, it is last in first out based on Occupational Seniority.

Mike-BOS

I had an agent tell me "years" ago, that the only safe place for an agent(because of all the automation "coming down the road") was to be a "cracker jack" on sabre, in a large station,(DFW/ORD/MIA/JFK/LAX/),doing international tickets, especially "re-issues". (tarriffs etc.)

Mabey you overworked ticket counter folks(SERIOUS), can tell me if what I was told years back, was still true today.

NH/BB's

that's what they plan i like the kiosks too. i rarely have to worry anymore about some agent who is p-o'd at the world giving me a priority list card instead of boarding passes when the flight is half empty.

the kiosks also don't nit pick about whether or not my attire meets that agent's version of the dress code.
More kiosks mean more layoffs, period. The agent at the counter does not set the restriction as to whether or not you'll get a boarding pass or a priority verification card. It's not difficult to dress appropriately to non-rev but if you're going to live on the edge be prepared to change clothes or not go. If those are your major complaints then you have it made.

FibberMcGee said:
that's what they plan i like the kiosks too. i rarely have to worry anymore about some agent who is p-o'd at the world giving me a priority list card instead of boarding passes when the flight is half empty.

More kiosks mean more layoffs, period. The agent at the counter does not set the restriction as to whether or not you'll get a boarding pass or a priority verification card. It's not difficult to dress appropriately to non-rev but if you're going to live on the edge be prepared to change clothes or not go. If those are your major complaints then you have it made.
But the agent could take the time on a litely loaded flight to offer a window or aisle seat, instead of letting SABRE auto assign you a middle seat. The one-stops are nice cause they can let you choose an aisle or window your choice if any are open, I just wish they would unrestrict the exit rows at check in time.

AirLUVer said:
But the agent could take the time on a litely loaded flight to offer a window or aisle seat, instead of letting SABRE auto assign you a middle seat. The one-stops are nice cause they can let you choose an aisle or window your choice if any are open, I just wish they would unrestrict the exit rows at check in time.
I'm assuming then that you are an advocate of machinery over humans? If 50 people have to loose their jobs so you can have a machine that lets you pick between an aisle and a window seat, then so be it. I mean, after all, that IS what's more important, correct? <_<

But the agent could take the time on a litely loaded flight to offer a window or aisle seat, instead of letting SABRE auto assign you a middle seat. The one-stops are nice cause they can let you choose an aisle or window your choice if any are open, I just wish they would unrestrict the exit rows at check in time. [/quote]
I always made sure nonrevs were taken care of if time permited. You don't always have the luxury of time. Nobody likes a middle seat. If I was boarding a flight and I saw someone with a middle seat I asked if they were traveling with someone. If they weren't and I had another seat I changed them. I did this for the general public as well and had great response to it. I agree there are agents that wouldn't do this but many often do. And if the flight is lightly loaded didn't you move around after takeoff? I would have.