Working At AA......

I do not think that mentality is only at AA. My suspicion is that it is an USA epidemic. US workers seem to think the world owes them something. This is part of the reason that cost are high, productivity is low and jobs are being shipped over seas. Companies rational is they can get, for the most art he same quality work for less money and less head ache.

Do what you feel is right. Perhaps if you do your job the way it was meant to be done, you may influence a few others. Probably not but there is always that hope. You need to do the job the way you want to do it. Do it in a way that you can look your self in the mirror and hold your head high. Most/some have substantially lower standards to live up to. Don't worry about them.

After nearly 20 years with AA, I still go in and give it my all. I no longer worry about the others around me with piss poor attitudes. I can do very little to effect them so why stress out trying. Granted I am not in a union environment so that makes it quite a bit easier to deal with but I am sure you will do fine also. Do your job and be happy.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

There's no point in worrying about what it used to be like because the days of 24 hour layovers in New York City, and 2 leg days are gone.

Are you sure about that? Since you are in STL, I guess you don't see many 2 leg trips with 24 hour layovers.

Funny thing is; we have 2 leg trips and 20-24 hour layovers in LGA. Maybe it's time to transfer, bitter party of one!

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='390403' date='Jun 21 2006, 06:36 PM']Are you sure about that? Since you are in STL, I guess you don't see many 2 leg trips with 24 hour layovers.

Funny thing is; we have 2 leg trips and 20-24 hour layovers in LGA. Maybe it's time to transfer, bitter party of one![/quote]

I could be wrong but I think Jim was trying to make the point that times have changed. Regardless of whether or not a few 24hr l/o still exist, they are not as common as they once were. Times have changed. The contracts are no longer based on increases by the wagon load but incremental increases at best, but more than likely tied with increased work loads or other cost saving ideas. Those good ol’e days have past.

I am sure you know that. You just wanted to bust Jim’s chops and see your name in print again.

I could be wrong but I think Jim was trying to make the point that times have changed. Regardless of whether or not a few 24hr l/o still exist, they are not as common as they once were. Times have changed. The contracts are no longer based on increases by the wagon load but incremental increases at best, but more than likely tied with increased work loads or other cost saving ideas. Those good ol’e days have past.

If the point is that things have changed than it is really a non issue. If you never knew what it was like than you really don't know what you are missing. Right?

If I could have the memories of what it used to be like erased from my mind than my job would be ideal. I love my job now but I feel bad everytime we start reminiscing about the old days and how we got to where we are.

If you never knew what you were missing than you have nothing to be worried about and the job will be all that you want it to be.

One of my major worries is that I will start and then six months later get laid off due to what ever....Howmnay times has this happen??

Turnover = retirements, terminations, resignations, transfers, deaths, and a few who simply disappeared in the middle of the night without a tracer.

I do not think that mentality is only at AA. My suspicion is that it is an USA epidemic. US workers seem to think the world owes them something. This is part of the reason that cost are high, productivity is low and jobs are being shipped over seas. Companies rational is they can get, for the most art he same quality work for less money and less head ache.

What a crock of sit. 20 years at AArogant Airlines and you still spew that rhetoric. The true words of AArogant Airlines management.

Productivity is low because the pay is low. Jobs are being outsourced because it costs 10 cents for bread and milk in Mexico and 3 dollars in the US.

Get a grip you Jackass

It is admirable to want to give 100% to the company you work for...Many of us on this bulletin board started in the airline industry when it was actually an enviable career, no matter what job title one held. The benefits were unsurpassed as well as salary.
But thanks to corporate greed which took advantage of a national tragedy, we saw many of our wages and benefits disappear. Corporations set out to break the backs of airline unions has early as 1981 with the PATCO strike and then with Frank Lorenzo taking Continental to bankruptcy to abbrogate all labor agreements in 1982. What was to follow was then end of the airline worker's right to a decent living.

Basically, what I am telling you is to steer clear of airline work. You may have a wondeful work ethic, but ask yourself this:

Do you want to work in an industry where airlines use the bankruptcy courts to cut your wages and benefits, eliminate your pension and THEN ASK THE SAME BANKRUPTCY JUDGE TO INCREASE THE COMPENSATION PACKAGES FOR AIRLINE EXECUTIVES?

Do you want to work in an industry where you are constantly reminded that you are LUCKY TO JUST HAVE A JOB?

What the hell????!! :rant:

Your all buying this crap?

There are literally thousands of furloughed employees out there and this guy says he is a "shoe in" for MIA!

In fact they are wanting him so badly that they called him back after 2 or so months. Give me a break

I just skimmed these awful posts and saw key terms like A&P...is this guy working as a new hire A&P????

HOW MANY A&P's are on furlough or have transfer in to MIA???

Please clarify...

Back