Occupational Seniority

WNP], you keep dodging the question on this thread as well as your posts on previous threads to which I have responded. Yes, many of us want to use machines doing what humans also do.

We use the ATM instead of a bank teller window. At my bank there are now 50 machines with no lines of humans waiting where there used to be 10 human staffed windows each with lines of 10 or more humans waiting. But there are still five human staffed windows.

At my supermarket there are still the same number of human staffed checkout lanes. But there are a growing number of self-checkout stations. Maybe the staffed lanes will decrease; but only because the customer using the non-human station can get out of the store faster. And the customer will always gravitate to the place where he/she is served with the least cost and time spent.

And to go back even further, how about supermarkets before the UPC scanning; and how about airport check-in before computers. I was there before any of these and I don't want to go there again!

You have continually ask, "what is 'productivity'?" I define it as producing more - at less cost. In simple terms that means getting more revenue while spending less money. Since the Industrial Revolution, machines have been replacing humans. This will continue; but so will job CREATION. But not in the same employment group (or UNION membership) as is so important to the union die-hards.

The flying public does not exist to keep to anyone employed. Airline employees jobs exist to serve the flying public. To blindly resist the kiosks is to deny reality.

If this is the dogma you are relying upon to justify the company's desire to displace hundreds of your fellow employees . . .then you have my deepest sympathy.

If you don't mind, I would just as soon NOT see my friends at AA get replaced by a machine, especially one that is riddled with problems.

WingNaPrayer said:
If this is the dogma you are relying upon to justify the company's desire to displace hundreds of your fellow employees . . .then you have my deepest sympathy.

If you don't mind, I would just as soon NOT see my friends at AA get replaced by a machine, especially one that is riddled with problems.
The way you have repeatedly trash AA and many of its employee's I am surprised you have any friends at AA.

And if having check in kiosks helps keep the company in business, then by all means replace some people with them..... but keep in mind, there will now be some higher paying jobs to help maintain the kiosks and also still be jobs for people to do things the kiosk is not programmed to do.

You have to remember Wing and no Prayer has a history of pointing out all the problems at AA. Yet has ZERO solutions. I think he/she just likes to see if he/she can get AA employees riled up.

As I have posted before in other threads, I do not believe WnP can possibly represent the thinking of AA employees because I do not believe WnP is one of you.

The above third person references to 'you' (AA employees) gives it away.

Instead, I believe WnP is a union stooge interested only in the union revenue from the dues from AA employees- and doesn't care a bit about anything but numbers of members paying dues.

WN just announced they're eliminating 1900 res agent jobs because of the increased number of people booking via the web.

Does that make Herb a heartless bastard also?

Nope. The same folks who will complain here day in and day out about kiosks are the same ones who love to point out much better WN is to their employees. So, because ever-profitable WN is doing it, it is prudent. If AMR does it, they're heartless bastards who want to starve their employees into the poorhouse...

Pine away for the good old days all you want, but the world is changing with technology. Hate the game all you want to, but it's happening at every airline these days, except for the ones who can't afford it.

And, no. Being a hot-shot international ticket agent won't mean a thing when it comes to job security. Seniority is seniority, regardless of skills as an agent.

Nope. The same folks who will complain here day in and day out about kiosks are the same ones who love to point out much better WN is to their employees. So, because ever-profitable WN is doing it, it is prudent. If AMR does it, they're heartless bastards who want to starve their employees into the poorhouse...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Every one of these displaced employees can keep their job as long as their willing to relocate. AA and other carriers layoff en masse, use the force majeure (sp?) clauses in their CBA's-legal or not- and WN keeps it's no furlough streak intact.
As for the leadership at AA being "heartless bastards," well, I think what they've inflicted on their employees speaks for itself.

If the TRUTH about AA on a daily, weekly, monthly, annual, OR FOREVER, is in fact NEGATIVE, a lot of the time, AND DON"T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, just reference media outlets like:(you republicans will love this one) THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, who has reported on the HORRIBLE existence between management, and it's employees, time and time again, union and non-union, then the truth IS in fact, NEGATIVE.
So whether or not WNP is, or is'nt an employee, he/she speaks the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND WE ALL NO THE TRUTH HURTS !!(Especially "NEGATIVE TRUTH") !!!!!!!!!!!!!

New technology IS inevitable. Thats when it's up to QUALIFIED union leaders to plan ahead.

messin' with a non union persons seniority, sucks.

Which leads me to the GRAND FINALE.

IF the agent group was union;

1. there would NOT be any screwing around with seniority,

AND,
2. even with new technology, there WOULD BE LESS agents getting "porked" !!

"It IS, what it IS" !!
NH/BB's

I firmly believe that fiddle-farting around with agent seniority will ultimately lead to more problems than the level of expertise held by current management can even begin to fathom, let alone handle.

In short, they know not what they are about to unleash.

NHBB, you have long defended seniority above all. Today, a 11 year manager can downgrade into an agent position six weeks before a layoff, and bump out a 10 year agent who has been an agent since their DOH.

That's the issue as I understand it.

What's ironic is that "the working man's friend" WNP isn't really concerned for agents' well being on this. His vitrol is driven by his "friend" who isn't an agent potentially losing their ability to duck for cover, dodge a potential layoff bullet, and keep all of their seniority while doing it.

I don't know what was proposed or what the outcome will be, but as a former agent, I can certainly see where there is some cause for concern. I know of several CSM's who downgraded to OC's and agents since 9/11, and at least one of them probably would have been laid off for poor performance.