Working At AA......

I guess I imagined the thousands of people laid off between 2001 and 2003 who never came back to AA, including several people who used to report directly to me. My department used to have eight or nine analysts. Today, it's down to five.

My wife (who I still report to) had her job eliminated in one of the countless re-org's that HDQ went thru, and there are still entire sections of HDQ that are empty, despite having consolidated from four buildings down to just two.

I guess I also imagined all the aircraft retirements and deferred deliveries...
Stick to "chicken or beef" because math ain't your strong suit.

Load factors for Nov and Dec 2001 were about 65%, which isn't great, but it's still two out of every three seats occupied.

Average LF for both 2002 and 2003 was around 70%. Summer loads for both 2002 and 2003 exceeded 75%.

Yields sucked, but there was certainly no shortage of customers to fill seats.

I don't know what your job function is at AA, but it apparently can be x'ed out of the system with little loss to AA. You never seem to be up on any changes we are doing ahead of time and you also seem to be far removed from the reality on the ramp and the airplanes themselves.

I worked a full schedule with overtime starting immediately after the airports opened on 9/11 and the only time the planes were full was when we brought people home from the countries they got stuck in when the U.S. shut down.

We may have laid off a few people after 9/11 but we certainly didn't lay off the amount we should have (during the time we should have) and we certainly didn't cut any onboard waste until way after the s*it had already hit, and overloaded, the proverbial fan.

If you are an example of management know how and knowledge then you need to go and work for Hawaiian, and run them out of business, with Lennie.

In the meantime I'll just stick to chicken and beef while you take care of "important" matters. :rolleyes:

I don't know what your job function is at AA, but it apparently can be x'ed out of the system with little loss to AA. You never seem to be up on any changes we are doing ahead of time and you also seem to be far removed from the reality on the ramp and the airplanes themselves.

Now -that's- funny. Ralph would probably disagree with your assessment...

If you think you can do my job better, have at it. It was posted in Jetnet earlier this week. The pay is good, you get weekends off assuming you're not working overtime to deal with the crisis du jour, and there's covered parking.

Hell, I wouldn't even know I worked for an airline if it weren't for the damn airplanes flying overhead every couple minutes...

Now -that's- funny. Ralph would probably disagree with your assessment...

If you think you can do my job better, have at it. It was posted in Jetnet earlier this week. The pay is good, you get weekends off assuming you're not working overtime to deal with the crisis du jour, and there's covered parking.

Hell, I wouldn't even know I worked for an airline if it weren't for the damn airplanes flying overhead every couple minutes...

Are you leaving? Why was your position posted in Jet Net? Can I have your covered parking spot? I am moving to Dallas August 1st.

Just so that I understand correctly. PAA = Pan American Airways? The Airline that is no longer in business due to the non-ass kissing management types that put the airline in bankruptcy (who by your own admission you were part of). That PAA? Or does PAA stand for something else in which case I retract the above statement.

So you need to be an ass kisser for the company to survive ? ?

Then AA should last for ever
:blink:

I honestly don’t know if that’s the case or not. As anyone who works with me will be more than happy to tell you, I do not play well with others. That is why I am in crew skd rather than a level 5 or above. I don’t play the game and I am perfectly aware that my lack of ass kissing is what keeps me where I am.

My observations tell me that in any corporate environment, in order to move up you need to have your lips in fairly close proximity to some ones butt at any given time in order to protect what one has and in order to advance. I am sure there are exceptions but I believe they are quite rare.

You seemed to indicate that your experience as a member of management in a failed carrier somehow garnered you a pass to openly #### about current management with out having any credible alternatives. AA pretending to be SWA is a laughable concept at best and if that was the equivalent of your contribution to PAA as a member of their management then that could be seen as an indication that perhaps ass kissing is a better option than having ones head shoved up ones own ass to the point that they cannot see what’s in front of them.

BTW. If ass kissing will give us a bright future, point me to an ass and I’ll pucker. I like a roof over my head. For the record, I do not believe it does lead to a bright future. Not telling the King he has no close does nothing but embarrass the King. Unfortunately, that seems to be the way the game is played in corporations here in the USA and else where. I am not sure if that can be changed to be quite honest. I hope it can but I am not so sure any more.

Are you leaving? Why was your position posted in Jet Net? Can I have your covered parking spot? I am moving to Dallas August 1st.

There's plenty of covered parking at HDQ now that 20% of the building was laid off at one point or another during the past five years, so it's all yours. My job was posted because I finally decided that working outside the Fortune 500 would provide a better quality of life for me and my family.

It will be a sacrifice, but I'm sure I will get used to the idea of salaries and bonuses not being second guessed by anyone and everyone with media credentials, where the rank and file are free to make up their own minds as opposed to being lead like lambs to the slaughter by narrow-minded union leaders, and where the most important decision I will have to make before 0900 is which pair of shorts to wear to work.

My job was posted because I finally decided that working outside the Fortune 500 would provide a better quality of life for me and my family.

but I'm sure I will get used to the idea of salaries and bonuses not being second guessed by anyone and where the most important decision I will have to make before 0900 is which pair of shorts to wear to work.

Good night and good luck.

Who's going to let you work in shorts?

Oh, spare me the tired litany of bad decisions made by management. If you don't take risks once in a while or try to change the way you do things, you will never succeed.

RISKS?
Millions and Millions of $$$$$$$ spent on two hubs, RDU and BNA a stone's throw from one another???????????????

[/quote]
For every one failure you mention, there are probably hundreds of good decisions that you either conveniently overlook or have no clue about in the first place. The fact that AA has survived in business longer than any other airline is proof of that.
[/quote]

The best decion AA made was bringing the TWU on the property. The TWU is a company union that would rather see its members raped as long as they collect union dues.

[/quote]
You can piss and moan about it being done on the backs of the working man all you want, but the fact still remains that it's a fairly good company to work for, and should survive well into the future based on the number of sound business decisions made on a daily basis.
[/quote]
Sure it's a good company.FOR THE EXECUTIVES LIKE CARTY AND COMPANY WHO HAD SECURED THEIR SERPS WHILE THREATENING US WITH BANKRUPTCY UNLESS WE AGREED TO BILLIONS IN CONCESSIONS. DAMN GOOD COMPANY WHO'S PRIVILIGED EXECUTIVES GET THEIR PAYDAY NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS TO AA.

That's your idea of a good company, ModerAAtor. ONE THAT SCREWS ITS EMPLOYEES AND MAKES IT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE DOING US A FAVOR.

I bet you say your prayers everynight on your knees by the side of your bed asking the Almighty to destroy the unions at AA and the country so no one can critique your wage and benefit package, but you can belittle the blue colllar work force because, like most company people, you think you're better as you don't have to wear a uniform to work, you don't have to throw bags, clean airlplanes, fix em, fly em, cater to passengers needs on board, because in your eyes, mangagement can do no wrong. They should have the right to run their company the way they see fit and you agree with their decisions no matter what the consequences are.

Typical Management mentality.

I'm sorry that your CEO and EXECUTIVE heroes at TYCO and ENRON got some jail time due to corporate greed,

But fear not, when Bush's term expires, I am sure he will pardon them.

I honestly don’t know if that’s the case or not. As anyone who works with me will be more than happy to tell you, I do not play well with others. That is why I am in crew skd rather than a level 5 or above. I don’t play the game and I am perfectly aware that my lack of ass kissing is what keeps me where I am.

The only crew schedulers that move up are those that play the game?

BTW, are Shirley and Jason still there? They were always pretty cool and I haven't heard them answer the phones in a few months. This month on reserve it has been all new people.

How is the scheduling department now that big mouth is gone? (Roy)

RISKS?
Millions and Millions of $$$$$$$ spent on two hubs, RDU and BNA a stone's throw from one another???????????????
For every one failure you mention, there are probably hundreds of good decisions that you either conveniently overlook or have no clue about in the first place. The fact that AA has survived in business longer than any other airline is proof of that.
The best decion AA made was bringing the TWU on the property. The TWU is a company union that would rather see its members raped as long as they collect union dues.
You can piss and moan about it being done on the backs of the working man all you want, but the fact still remains that it's a fairly good company to work for, and should survive well into the future based on the number of sound business decisions made on a daily basis.

Sure it's a good company.FOR THE EXECUTIVES LIKE CARTY AND COMPANY WHO HAD SECURED THEIR SERPS WHILE THREATENING US WITH BANKRUPTCY UNLESS WE AGREED TO BILLIONS IN CONCESSIONS. DAMN GOOD COMPANY WHO'S PRIVILIGED EXECUTIVES GET THEIR PAYDAY NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS TO AA.

That's your idea of a good company, ModerAAtor. ONE THAT SCREWS ITS EMPLOYEES AND MAKES IT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE DOING US A FAVOR.

I bet you say your prayers everynight on your knees by the side of your bed asking the Almighty to destroy the unions at AA and the country so no one can critique your wage and benefit package, but you can belittle the blue colllar work force because, like most company people, you think you're better as you don't have to wear a uniform to work, you don't have to throw bags, clean airlplanes, fix em, fly em, cater to passengers needs on board, because in your eyes, mangagement can do no wrong. They should have the right to run their company the way they see fit and you agree with their decisions no matter what the consequences are.

Typical Management mentality.

I'm sorry that your CEO and EXECUTIVE heroes at TYCO and ENRON got some jail time due to corporate greed,

But fear not, when Bush's term expires, I am sure he will pardon them.

Bla, bla, bla, Workers of the World Unite! Bla, bla, bla.

I can't believe you're still complaing about a strategic move made 20 years ago

No, workers of the U.S. unite. We have enough problems keeping our own jobs without people in other countries, and illegals here, doing our jobs for less money.

And constant complaining and claiming to do only what is necessary to not get fired is the way to keep those jobs in the US?

Perhaps realizing that the world is changing and becoming increasingly competitive and responding to that change by becoming better educated and more productive is a better solution?

And constant complaining and claiming to do only what is necessary to not get fired is the way to keep those jobs in the US?

Perhaps realizing that the world is changing and becoming increasingly competitive and responding to that change by becoming better educated and more productive is a better solution?

Oh, the lame " american workers are lazy" argument. I love when you guys pull that one out. Excuse me while I tune the violin.

If a company only makes x amount of dollars then you guys feel justified in taking a xx amount of dollars pay check. If there is only a million dollars left and you have a million workers you could always farm the work out to a third world country or to illegals in the u.s. and justify it by saying the workers you had were lazy.

If you aren't farming out the work to foreign and illegal workers you are figuring out ways to deliver the product you have in a cheaper package in order to screw your workers and your customers so you can get the best bang out of your pay check. Those board meetings must be really interesting.

Oh, the lame " american workers are lazy" argument.

I didn't say that at all. In fact, American workers are some, if not, the most productive workers in the world. No thanks to unions that promote unproductive work rules and habits.

Back