Would DOH Work For You?

Yes, they did. :)
Good move on Delta's part.

There were no unions on Delta's side, and after the " pre-packaged bankruptcy " merger. There are no unions still. ( I could be wrong here ). That said, it's a whole different animal anyway with AA2 and whatever as a merger if one ever takes place. Even the TW deal was easier to swallow because the economic situation was better then than today. This is a "take no prisoners " economy.

The longer AA remains in the judge's chamber and off the airline gridiron the more the other team advances.

"liquidated"? Where did you come up with that information? Or is that just your personal opinon?

Yes, liquidated.
At the time TWA was for sale, the only airline that made an offer for ALL of it was AA.
The rest of the players were only buying parts of it, sans employees.

They werent in Chapter 7, they were in Chapter 11 and AA bought them and merged them.

There were no unions on Delta's side, and after the " pre-packaged bankruptcy " merger. There are no unions still. ( I could be wrong here).

You said, there were no unions on Delta's side, I corrected you.

Your words, not mine.

They werent in Chapter 7, they were in Chapter 11 and AA bought them and merged them.

Correct, but NO other airline was offering to buy ALL of it, just parts.
Do you think the rank and file would have been better off if AA had bowed out and let others buy it in pieces? Because that is what would have happened.

They had no money and no exit plan. They were going to be moving from 11 to 7 quickly.

I was going through some of my old papers today, and found a letter written to the employees of TWA by Compton, dated Jan.10th., 2001. It stated, in part, that he was taking TWA into BK ( Chapt.11)"voluntarily" to faciliate the sale of it's assits to American Airlines.

Correct, but NO other airline was offering to buy ALL of it, just parts.
Do you think the rank and file would have been better off if AA had bowed out and let others buy it in pieces? Because that is what would have happened.

They had no money and no exit plan. They were going to be moving from 11 to 7 quickly.
Oh really?----- And what other Airlines offered to buy "just parts"?

I was going through some of my old papers today, and found a letter written to the employees of TWA by Compton, dated Jan.10th., 2001. It stated, in part, that he was taking TWA into BK ( Chapt.11)"voluntarily" to faciliate the sale of it's assits to American Airlines.------------ One of the main reasons for doing this was to get out from under a contract TWA management had made with Carl Icahn. Icahn had loaned TWA money in return for highly discounted tickets that he was reselling through his Company Karabu in Los Vagas. His Lawyers had written into the contract that it would be carried on if the company was sold, or went into BK. This deal not only bleed TWA's bottom line, ( He was selling them below TWA's cost) It acted as a "posion pill" for any other mergers. ------ The only way arround it was a sale of assits in BK. ----- It came down to AA's Lawyers were smarter than Ichan's. -------- "Because that is what would have happened" Since you have a chystal ball! How about cranking it up and letting all of us know how American will do in this BK!!!

Jim...I've never seen the combined list nor have you. That has been a bone of contention lately also. But I will say because they (AWA) weren't even operating before the 1900's US f/a's may have a leg up. :)

I didn't mean to imply that the US/HP combined list was fair or unfair - that's a FA issue and not mine. I was just reporting what my impression of the placement of US and HP FA's was in general since, like you say, HP only began ops in 1983 and was pretty small in the early 90's.

Jim

Oh really?----- And what other Airlines offered to buy "just parts"?

I was going through some of my old papers today, and found a letter written to the employees of TWA by Compton, dated Jan.10th., 2001. It stated, in part, that he was taking TWA into BK ( Chapt.11)"voluntarily" to faciliate the sale of it's assits to American Airlines.------------ One of the main reasons for doing this was to get out from under a contract TWA management had made with Carl Icahn. Icahn had loaned TWA money in return for highly discounted tickets that he was reselling through his Company Karabu in Los Vagas. His Lawyers had written into the contract that it would be carried on if the company was sold, or went into BK. This deal not only bleed TWA's bottom line, ( He was selling them below TWA's cost) It acted as a "posion pill" for any other mergers. ------ The only way arround it was a sale of assits in BK. ----- It came down to AA's Lawyers were smarter than Ichan's. -------- "Because that is what would have happened" Since you have a chystal ball! How about cranking it up and letting all of us know how American will do in this BK!!!

MCI, you missed one of the most important "old papers", this stuff isn't hard to find (google).

http://www.deb.uscourts.gov/Opinions/2001/Twa_eeoc.pdf

Pay particular attention to page 11:
"No other purchaser exists, if the sale does not go forward, it is highly likely that TWA will be liquidated with the resultant material harm to various creditor contstituencies, including it's 20,000 employees and a likely adverse economic impact on the St. Louis, Missouri region, the location of TWA's hub airport."

Now MCI, can I put my crystal ball away now and put this issue to bed. TWA employees would have all been on the street if AA doesn't purchase them, they all got big raises at the time with the merger and if you were in MCI or STL and a couple other places they didn't get stapled to the bottom. It still was rough as whole for the employees, rank and file are ALWAYS the bottom of the food chain, just like all of us at AA are now.

Latest posts