JCBA Negotiations and updates for AA Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worldport said:
This makes the situation with the IAMPF and TWU more sticky. If it were up to the negotiators they would go for a choice. Now if what you are saying is true and I believe it is The IAM leaders are probably trying to pushing the plan on everyone. The information you've shared the last few days adds up quite well
So now the company is publicly saying that the first "make up" check starts from august 5th

I'm somewhat concerned as of late about the financial future of our membership. ...

I think it's great that we're now going to make more money , I remember going from America west wages to US airways wages and the effect it had on my life style ...

we focus on the health of our membership, we plan for the long term needs of our people as well when it comes to retirement , but are we possibly neglecting the midrange importance of having steady finances?

Part of me really feels that with the announcement of higher wages , some of which may be received in lump sum ,we should Remind our Members of the importance of not just saving money for short term emergency needs but also in carrying a Zero balance month to month on credit cards ...

I know it sounds paternalistic but it's kind of scary how many people have high interest debt ...we have a real opportunity to help educate alot of folks in the management of day to day finances , otherwise know as financial literacy...

freedom said:
I'm somewhat concerned as of late about the financial future of our membership. ...
I think it's great that we're now going to make more money , I remember going from America west wages to US airways wages and the effect it had on my life style ...
we focus on the health of our membership, we plan for the long term needs of our people as well when it comes to retirement , but are we possibly neglecting the midrange importance of having steady finances?
Part of me really feels that with the announcement of higher wages , some of which may be received in lump sum ,we should Remind our Members of the importance of not just saving money for short term emergency needs but also in carrying a Zero balance month to month on credit cards ...
I know it sounds paternalistic but it's kind of scary how many people have high interest debt ...we have a real opportunity to help educate alot of folks in the management of day to day finances , otherwise know as financial literacy...
You really are an ass. Do you know that you're an ass?

Attachments

• bro-funny-meme-Favim.com-976939.jpg
    bro-funny-meme-Favim.com-976939.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 100
freedom said:
Good post Freedom. Absolutely nothing wrong with trying to give good advice. Especially to the next generation that's working with us now. They do appreciate it later on in life absolutely.

28L_or_10R? said:
You really are an ass. Do you know that you're an ass?
Why is he an ass for giving a crap? You may not personally like the guy but his post was good.

anyone want to venture a guess on how this will be taxed? In my view it is salary and thus taxed as such and not at a higher rate

thats my thoughts too cltrat   although i sometimes do think will they tax at a higher rate.   

WeAA   freedom is one of those who years ago sold out his union bros and sis and 42 other stations in the 2008 agreement with HP/US  and he bragged about it and did not give a rats arse about that  then when the company began shuttering 42 cities he cried like they could not do that    he was and is all about money for himself and screw the rest     many posters on here tried tellin him what the company wld do   it went above him

Yes , I'm personally responsible for the passage of the last contract ...it was i and i alone who forced the issue ...

The others fear my persuasive ablity which I have little intention of bringing to bear this time ....I'm more of a spectator these days than anything else ...

let's not rehash the past ...but if we must , remember the sixty day rule ....

either way , let's focus on the monetary well being of our members going forwards ..

freedom said:

+1

Besides the practical questions about how/when our new wages are going to be applied and checks cut, the next thing I asked myself was 'okay, how long until AA re-enters bankruptcy court'?  So the industry is supposed to be in this new era of stability and revenue security and consistent profitability but we all know that just because things seem rosy now doesn't mean they're going to stay that way, and when management is once again desperate to cut costs, wages will be first on the chopping block.  Better to prepare now for the inevitable by paying down debt and padding savings so that when the industry cycles again you're not caught with your pants down.

You are correct about financial literacy.  It was never even mentioned when I went to school and it's amazing because it can make such a positive difference in one's quality of life, including one's health, mood, and personal/professional relationships.  How many people keep a budget?  Every dollar should have a job.  How many keep an emergency savings with 1-6 months worth of expenses, or even just a cool grand in case something goes very wrong?  How many are in debt for things they don't need and don't add value?  Debt is slavery.  How many are preparing for retirement?  How many have resigned themselves to working until the day they die?  Mine might be the last generation where any appreciable amount of us get a retirement, and I'm going to make sure I'm one of the ones that do.  Now my situation is not perfect but it's been getting better, and with the new wage increases I'm feeling a lot more confident about my future.

The sad thing is a large part of our economy is built around people not being financially literate.  Think of how much money would be lost by the finance industry if Americans didn't chain themselves to so much debt, or to manufacturers and retailers of lifestyle products if Americans weren't fixated on gadgets/toys/clothes and other things our media and culture convinces us we need or are worthless without.  Think of how many employers benefit from having workers who live paycheck to paycheck being too afraid to ask for better pay or working conditions for fear of losing their jobs.  Think of how the stress of not having enough creates constant worry, makes one ill, ruins marriages, and can lead to deeper problems like depression or substance abuse.

I've heard some people talk about what they plan on doing with their money, and a lot of it doesn't sound very productive.  We've waited so long to get these wage improvements, what good are they if they're only going to be squandered?  r/personalfinance on Reddit is a great place to start for the unitiated, including this super-handy graph which takes you from beginner to complete financial security (though it can take years)...totally worth it.

As for how you're going to educate people....you can really only do that with people that are willing to learn.  Maybe utilize the local lodge educational committees?  Social media outreach?  As with a lot of things this stuff is already out there, people just have to want to learn it.

I know exactly what you're saying chockjockey, I can't sleep soundly at night if I have credit card debt....

there are SOOOO many people out there who think they're getting credit card rewards when in fact they're paying Huge amounts of interest on their monthly balances thus NOT earning rewards. ..

If it were up to me there would be a three page financial literacy awareness memo stapled to the wage information sheet that the union will eventually put out..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back