JCBA Negotiations and updates for AA Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, where were the reps from the IAM, pressing Parker for a JCBA...and some still don't get it.
Thanks Dale and Gary, we all may not be AMT's, but we are all TWU and we expect and deserve better.

you'll never ever see them do anything on aaers behalf. they are IGMers. they greased jimmy little man and trumka to weasel ( no pun intended) their way into getting 51% control of a workforce 3 times their size. to think the twu needs their permission to get anything done is just ridiculous. imo the members will continue to be held hostage until some how some way we can rid ourselves of this assgroup. i can't think of one benefit these assses have provided aaers not one. real shame...and sham!!!

As commendable as that letter may have been, isn't it better if it came from the Association or at the very least the International?

As commendable as that letter may have been, isn't it better if it came from the Association or at the very least the International?
Protocol thrown out the window?The impression the Ass is in chaos?At this point in negotiations there should be some show of unity ...guess not

TWU Local 591 Membership Update 4/30/2017

April 30, 2017

To the Membership:

Hopefully by now most of you have seen this past week’s financial briefing on Jetnet, where myself and Dale Danker, Local 514’s president, asked Doug Parker some very specific questions on parity to the IAM. If you have not seen the video I am encouraging you to take the time to watch the segment labeled, “Parity for TWU-IAM” that is in the Jetnet headline titled “1Q State of the Airline.” I had asked our Local 591 representatives to get out on the shop floor and speak with our members about watching the video and I am hopeful that is happening as well.

Unfortunately, while every other workgroup at American enjoys parity to the industry, Doug Parker has now stated publically that he has no interest in giving TWU members parity to neither the industry, nor to our IAM counterparts on the American property, until we reach a JCBA. Shockingly, this past week Doug Parker, along with the Board of Directors, chose to give Pilots and Flight Attendants parity to the industry, by way of pay raises that are into the tens of thousands of dollars for each member, and reportedly worth nearly a billion dollars over three years; which those APA and APFA members rightly deserve. I am discouraged by the lack of respect given to the TWU membership, by Mr. Parker on the video, with his immediate dismissal of holiday parity to the IAM, except through a JCBA. It is clear that Mr. Parker does not see the value that TWU members deliver to American Airlines every day. As you watch Mr. Parker’s response on Jetnet to the disparities between the TWU and the IAM, you will see he says something along the lines of: we cannot give that to you because it could slow down negotiations; slow down negotiations…REALLY! This really begs the questions of whether Doug Parker, as CEO of American Airlines, is that out of touch with his TWU employees. He speaks of a “leap of faith” & “trust” and yet he finds no value in recognizing holidays for the TWU membership who work on the same aircraft, and in some cases, out of the same break-rooms and for the same managers. The lack of concern over this one disparity tells us that Doug Parker wants all of us to take a leap alright.

Normally I do not try to upset or anger the membership, but in this case, I have to say that I am disgusted and appalled that the TWU membership is losing thousands of dollars in overall compensation to our IAM counterparts. It seems Doug Parker has no problem giving his US Airways employees the benefits of American but not the American employees the benefits from US Airways. This double standard has gone on far too long and his answer that we as TWU members need to wait for a JCBA is nothing short of insulting. A “leap of faith” and “trust” starts with an act of “good faith” by immediately righting the wrongs that this membership has had to endure for the past 14 years - when it comes to at least the holidays. They can do this by giving us the parity with our IAM counterparts, beginning with this Memorial Day, while we continue to negotiate a JCBA to its conclusion. This changes nothing at the bargaining table, unless the company intends to not give us the same holidays as all other workgroups, including management. Enough is enough with the lack of proper holiday pay and recognition; it is time for American to give TWU members parity with their peers at American Airlines.

Fraternally,

Gary Peterson

Now what?

TWU Local 591 Membership Update 4/30/2017

April 30, 2017

To the Membership:

Hopefully by now most of you have seen this past week’s financial briefing on Jetnet, where myself and Dale Danker, Local 514’s president, asked Doug Parker some very specific questions on parity to the IAM. If you have not seen the video I am encouraging you to take the time to watch the segment labeled, “Parity for TWU-IAM” that is in the Jetnet headline titled “1Q State of the Airline.” I had asked our Local 591 representatives to get out on the shop floor and speak with our members about watching the video and I am hopeful that is happening as well.

Unfortunately, while every other workgroup at American enjoys parity to the industry, Doug Parker has now stated publically that he has no interest in giving TWU members parity to neither the industry, nor to our IAM counterparts on the American property, until we reach a JCBA. Shockingly, this past week Doug Parker, along with the Board of Directors, chose to give Pilots and Flight Attendants parity to the industry, by way of pay raises that are into the tens of thousands of dollars for each member, and reportedly worth nearly a billion dollars over three years; which those APA and APFA members rightly deserve. I am discouraged by the lack of respect given to the TWU membership, by Mr. Parker on the video, with his immediate dismissal of holiday parity to the IAM, except through a JCBA. It is clear that Mr. Parker does not see the value that TWU members deliver to American Airlines every day. As you watch Mr. Parker’s response on Jetnet to the disparities between the TWU and the IAM, you will see he says something along the lines of: we cannot give that to you because it could slow down negotiations; slow down negotiations…REALLY! This really begs the questions of whether Doug Parker, as CEO of American Airlines, is that out of touch with his TWU employees. He speaks of a “leap of faith” & “trust” and yet he finds no value in recognizing holidays for the TWU membership who work on the same aircraft, and in some cases, out of the same break-rooms and for the same managers. The lack of concern over this one disparity tells us that Doug Parker wants all of us to take a leap alright.

Normally I do not try to upset or anger the membership, but in this case, I have to say that I am disgusted and appalled that the TWU membership is losing thousands of dollars in overall compensation to our IAM counterparts. It seems Doug Parker has no problem giving his US Airways employees the benefits of American but not the American employees the benefits from US Airways. This double standard has gone on far too long and his answer that we as TWU members need to wait for a JCBA is nothing short of insulting. A “leap of faith” and “trust” starts with an act of “good faith” by immediately righting the wrongs that this membership has had to endure for the past 14 years - when it comes to at least the holidays. They can do this by giving us the parity with our IAM counterparts, beginning with this Memorial Day, while we continue to negotiate a JCBA to its conclusion. This changes nothing at the bargaining table, unless the company intends to not give us the same holidays as all other workgroups, including management. Enough is enough with the lack of proper holiday pay and recognition; it is time for American to give TWU members parity with their peers at American Airlines.

Fraternally,

Gary Peterson

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/aviation/sky-talk-blog/article146963454.html

Earlier this month, the APFA, which represents 26,000 flight attendants, lost an arbitration ruling related to its pay rates. The union had argued that flight attendants should have received a mid-contract adjustment pay raise of 8 percent instead of 1.6 percent. The panel ruled in favor of the company’s 1.6 percent raise, which is retroactive to Sept. 1. The pay raises announced Wednesday are on top of the September pay raise.

American is in contract negotiations with its mechanics and ground workers union groups, but the company implemented pay raises for those employees in September. Wednesday’s letter said American has not offered additional pay raises to other employee groups, such as gate agents, because their pay is already industry-leading.

BSO was outsourced at all LUS stations with their new contract. Not exactly a trend but it sure rang the clocks alarm if you worked there. Parker did bring back a lot of reservation work to the CWA and back to the US for that matter.

Allowing in sourcing in the call centers was favorable to management because reaction and retort of the country

BSO was small potatoes in the overall gain of jobs in CARS. Those CARS people now have the ability to move in over time to better paying full Agent positions as openings come up.

And CARS people answer to the same Supervisors as Agents.

They'll be better workers too cause they'll know they have a chance to move up.

Allowing in sourcing in the call centers was favorable to management because reaction and retort of the country

Total giving up BSO was not necessary by allowing was a huge concession for LUS. Naïve LAA were short sighted out of sight out of mind. BSO is a big part of Passenger Service and will be a job that will be around for a long time management knew this. Allowing a whole different work classification with lower pay to do core mainline work is a slippery slope and creates whipsawing allowing a course of action which will lead to something unacceptable, wrong, or disastrous. CWA/IBT negotiated a concessionary contract for the LUS airport agents CWA/IBT negotiated a concessionary contract for the LUS airport agents. The LUS airport agents were served up.

Total giving up BSO was not necessary by allowing was a huge concession for LUS. Naïve LAA were short sighted out of sight out of mind. BSO is a big part of Passenger Service and will be a job that will be around for a long time management knew this. Allowing a whole different work classification with lower pay to do core mainline work is a slippery slope and creates whipsawing allowing a course of action which will lead to something unacceptable, wrong, or disastrous. CWA/IBT negotiated a concessionary contract for the LUS airport agents CWA/IBT negotiated a concessionary contract for the LUS airport agents. The LUS airport agents were served up.

Yes it was a concession and yes the LUS Agents were served up. The catch 22 however in your group that was/is different is the LAA Agents had no contract to protect them from any possible behind the scenes talks that Management could have said they may/could do to them if a deal wasn't struck and sent out. Basically damage could have been brought down on 70% of your now Collective membership had talks lingered.

Perhaps the more educated on these issues within your group who were negotiating for you knew and understood the dilemma?

Question: Can CARS Agents put in a transfer to become full fledged Agents? How does that work?

Thank God the workers of USAir choose to organize with the IAM in 1994 and the employees of Am West chose to organize with the TWU in 1999.

Bringing in to our Collective a group that already had gained contractual rights to protect them in this merger.

The rest of that story for educational purposes:

IAM, TWU Reach US Airways Representation Accord

Washington, D.C. May 9, 2006 – The Transport Workers Union of America (TWU), AFL-CIO, and the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM), AFL-CIO, today reached an agreement over the future representation rights for the close to 8,000 active and furloughed fleet service workers at the merged US Airways and America West Airlines.

As part of the accord, the TWU today is withdrawing its application with the National Mediation Board (NMB) seeking representation rights for the merged workforce, and has agreed to work with the IAM leadership on a seniority integration process to ensure a smooth transition of representation services between the TWU and the IAM.

The TWU has represented America West fleet service employees since 1999. The IAM has represented US Airways fleet service workers since 1994.

TWU International President James C. Little said that the TWU International Administrative Committee made the decision after recognizing that an NMB-conducted election would possibly result in no union for the merged workforce.

“I believe we have made the right decision for the members we represent at America West. Considering the current state of the airline industry, no workforce should be without union representation,” said Little.

“The IAM will work closely with the TWU’s International and Local 580 representatives to ensure a smooth transition into a single, unified workforce,” said IAM General Vice President Robert Roach, Jr. “The IAM and TWU have worked together for many years, and that relationship will continue.”

“A major part of this process will be negotiating a transition agreement with US Airways that covers all Fleet Service workers,” said Roach. “Current TWU Local 580 representatives from the former America West will participate in the transition negotiations alongside IAM District 141 representatives. The TWU representatives’ knowledge and experience will be invaluable.”

Little added that the two sides had explored other options to avoid an NMB election, including a Joint Council or a private election. “In the end, however, circumstances made it clear that only our withdrawal of our NMB petition would guarantee uninterrupted union representation for the merged workforce.”

Little also said that the TWU Administrative Committee was acceding to the wishes of the Local TWU leaders at America West that the union not become involved in protracted dispute with the IAM that could result in no union for the merged workforce.

“The TWU certainly hates to lose representation rights for this fine group of workers and union members at America West. But it would be far worse if the merged workforce was faced with a future of no representation,” said Little.

Check out this comment. WOW!!!!!

"This is frustrating. Labor is being paid first...again. Shareholders get leftovers," wrote Citi analyst Kevin Crissey in a note to clients.

http://finance.yahoo.com/m/bd9f96db-f210-3645-87d1-1490106c3824/ss_american-gives-employees-pay.html

yes...there has been some push back since his and jamie baker's outrageous anti-labor notes. since then, some notes and articles: 'wall street doesn't want aa to pay it's employees what dl & ua pay their employees'.

aa still has $1.5 billion left for stock buybacks (will spend by dec. 2018) and looks on pace to spend around $50 million a quarter on dividends. still not enough despite giving shareholders over $10+ billion in 3 years. the analysts put themselves into a trick box by complaining about aa not paying down it's debt, but now, demanding more for shareholders. so, which one is it? debt or shareholder value??

it's obvious aal is the stock to kick in the airline sector.

to further this and to show just how correct parker is when he says aal is undervalued...ual has now passed up aal in terms of market cap. as of right now:

ual's market cap is $22.7 billion

aal's market cap is $21.1 billion

ual said it's 2 q 2017 earnings is looking like 10%-12% pre-tax. aal said it's 2 q 2017 will be 11%-13% pre-tax, but surely on higher revenues.

let it play out.

Last edited:
just remember it aint the investors running the actual airline its the employees from the ground workers up to the pilots and FAs

i don't believe any of us is disputing that.

the rub is that wall street has a problem with aa paying it's employees while dl is the darling. dl has passed on over $5 billion in profit sharing to it's employees the past 5 years.

where were the negative notes from investment bank analysts to their clients?? they certainly had them ready for aal.

Basically agents saw $30 and voted yes. If you really look from a passenger service standpoint BSO should have been one of the last things to go. Weez thinks the CARs are going to be happy I say they are going to b!tch because they make less,human nature

i don't believe any of us is disputing that.

the rub is that wall street has a problem with aa paying it's employees while dl is the darling. dl has passed on over $5 billion in profit sharing to it's employees the past 5 years.

where were the negative notes from investment bank analysts to their clients?? they certainly had them ready for aal.

I negotiated a very low interest Mortgage payment October 2015 with the thought of making extra payments on my loan amount to bring down the payoff term. But over time I chose so far against that because my other investments are paying me back more by percentage and the housing debt is extremely manageable.

I've also chosen to build up a cash pile nest for any unforseen circumstances and keep my Credit Card debt low and ignore (Although appreciated) any time they raise my credit amount. And I monitor my Credit Score monthly.

Parker (The BOD) has chosen to invest in the employees because he believes there will be a return on that investment over time? Oil has remained low and capacity is full and supply and demand for flights has proven that ticket prices have been able to be pushed up.

Just like you I'm also bullish on AAL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back