Do You Think The Pilots Have To Give More?

Some news sources think U may need more money. The only group left with anything to give is the pil

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
pitguy said:
The pilot group should have given RJ relief years ago when asked instead of putting U in the situation it is in now. Pilots at U have been historically paid not to fly. Now they are going to pay the price for all of their years of 'playing around' and not supporting the company like it needed to be. The pilot group will accept further cuts because they have no choice and they know it.
[post="246150"][/post]​

You may be correct, the pilots may end up giving more, but even if they work for free, that is not going to solve the miserable customer service issues. The pilots are paid to move the airplanes. As long as the customer doesn't die in the process or get injured, he is happy with the pilots. A customer that is treated like crap from the time they book the flight until they get off the airplane will not be back. And eventually that makes the subject of pay moot.

As far as the RJ's. The company could fly any airplane that they wanted, always could. All the pilots ever wanted was for USAirways pilots to fly them.......novel idea huh? If the company had wanted 2000 RJ's all they ever needed to do was buy them and add them to the fleet. Pay was not an issue, RJ's pay less, the pilots would have flown them for Comair wages with no problem.

I make it a point to try and participate in high school career days by coming into the class in uniform and explaining what a lousy career choice being a pilot is. I show them a list of the careers that pay substantially more than the entry-level commuter pilot wage (which is all I can promise them at this point since wages are falling so fast) for the same investment in college education.

The pilots that will replace the current generation are still in school making the decision to pursue this job or not. Their expectations must be accurately managed to allow them to make an informed decision. I would hope that all responsible pilots both in and out of the cockpit go in and explain this to our young people.

A kid who could grow up to be a neurosurgeon shouldn't be living in a crashpad with 15 guys in New York when he's 40. If he is he won't be doing it because I said so.

luvn737s said:
The industry produces a commodity...
But it doesn't have to. That's the most frustrating part of it to me.

...and operates as an oligopoly.
In an ever-increasing way. It was more of a hybrid monopoly/oligopoly in the late 80s, though.

luvn737s said:
A kid who could grow up to be a neurosurgeon shouldn't be living in a crashpad with 15 guys in New York when he's 40. If he is he won't be doing it because I said so.
[post="246165"][/post]​

You make it sound like to be a pilot you have to be of exceptional intelligence or something. I hold 320 up as example that isn't true.

So you think if someone just might enjoy being a pilot it isn't enough for them? that it is still a lousy career? So you just make that decision for them?

A neurosurgeon probably shouldn’t be sleeping in a crash pad with 15 others, but a cheap mainline pilot can if it he wants to. Don't glorify being a pilot or make it bigger than it really is. This is all about reality. Life is not fair! You can not fight the world. Awhile back I thought if you can not beat them then join them. I now have less grief and allot more financial stability from that decision. If you want to remain being a pilot for U then you will have to work for less. Some pilots should vote no as they may end up with better jobs. Most though will end up earning allot less.

The sad part about it if the company come knocking they pilots will give once again.

The reason probably why is that where can a middle age person go out and get a job making six figures with working several days a week.

History tells you this, the pilots every single time was the first group to talk with the company and the first group every time to ratify concessions.

It is human nature I guess.

Whats so sad about it 700? What about the industry do you not understand? In your world, there is no fault in the the world other than big bad usairways leaders.. so so so sad.

pitguy said:
A neurosurgeon probably shouldn’t be sleeping in a crash pad with 15 others, but a cheap mainline pilot can if it he wants to. Don't glorify being a pilot or make it bigger than it really is. This is all about reality. Life is not fair! You can not fight the world. Awhile back I thought if you can not beat them then join them. I now have less grief and allot more financial stability from that decision. If you want to remain being a pilot for U then you will have to work for less. Some pilots should vote no as they may end up with better jobs. Most though will end up earning allot less.
[post="246291"][/post]​
Let me pitch this next one underhand to you. The point is that the caliber of person that airlines used to look for is no longer interested in pursuing a deadend flying job, much to your delight.

Reality you say? As in the reality that there is no US textile or consumer electronics manufacturing industry in the US anymore? As in the reality that we as a nation are rapidly reducing ourselves to a country that can only compete globally when our citizens earn a global minimum wage (whatever the poorest worker is willing to accept)? Sure, the airline industry has beaten the unions into submission and there are likely few if any coming along willing to fight to recapture what has been extorted. Will this lead to a vibrant and profitable industry? Probably not. It hasn't anywhere else it's been tried. But that doesn't mean that a few shouldn't savor the defeat of the many, as you have proven. Reality is that the mainline pilot isn't cheap at all. It's the only way he can afford to keep a roof over his family's head (if he's fortunate enough to still have a family) when he's already sold the house and has been displaced from his base.

If you can't beat them, join them, eh? Tell me, what historical heroes have used your creed to triumph over tyranny? You can't fight the world, but you can put your all into the battle at hand. I think the kids at career day have heard that before somewhere.

With every vote for concessions you are affirming that you were never worth what you had been paid, and will probably work for even less if asked. Why not ask all the employees to put their lowest acceptable pay rate on a slip of paper and put it in a hat? The lowest number wins. (Now why didn't you think of that?)

What does the consumer benefit from this carnage? A couple of bucks per ticket, maybe.

Looking at the serious decline in "yes" votes over the last few years, I'd have to disagree with you both (Pitguy & 700). Even those who always vote yes have stated that this was it. They are prepared to move on with life without an airline job. I count myself in that group also.

A320 Driver :closedeyes:

More concessions will pass when voted on by the pilot group. Funny how most pilots on here (Boeing Boy Jim not being amongst them) was so vocal in how other groups needed to bow down. Most of you I surmise deserve what you have coming to you. Also note I try to buy American products when I can. The majority of Americans do not and we are fighting a losing battle there (Right or wrong you can not fight the world). I have figured out a way to make this work to my benefit by taking advantage of the situation and will prosper from those consumers poor choices. I will still buy American when I can. Most pilots think people have class envoy of them. But the fact is most of them just having no class. Just ask flight attendants, mechanics, hotel workers, van drivers and many others.

Why don't you start a thread talking about your own work group? If you did not envy pilots, you would not spend all your time talking about us, what we will do, how we will vote, etc.

GET YOUR OWN LIFE, and/or get help, you need it.

Whatever the pilot group does going forward will be our choice, and it will be made based on the facts, and rational thinking and actions.

Do you still work here? Are you just trying to stir the pot?

pitguy said:
Most pilots think people have class envoy of them. But the fact is most of them just having no class. Just ask flight attendants, mechanics, hotel workers, van drivers and many others.
[post="246421"][/post]​

UseYourHead said:
Why don't you start a thread talking about your own work group? If you did not envy pilots, you would not spend all your time talking about us, what we will do, how we will vote, etc.

Whatever the pilot group does going forward will be our choice, and it will be made based on the facts, and rational thinking and actions.
[post="246422"][/post]​
That sounds like a great idea but that being said don't you think all the other groups have a right to chime in due to 320's own meddling? Did you step up and tell 320 to stay out of the other groups affairs?

I dont believe I ever seen UYH aka Mr Gallop ever tell 320 to mind his own business.

pitguy said:
Funny now that the shoe is on the other foot some pilots feel no one should talk about 'their' issues. Hahahaha............

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[post="246455"][/post]​

I told you folks. Pitguy started this thread for one reason...to cause trouble. You left the company Pitguy. You have NO dog in this fight.

The ones of us left WILL re-build this airline.

A320 Driver