News on FA Recall?

Wow, did not realize that soo many had taken the "original" VFLR.....765! Now if I'm not mistaken, that original VFLR was for 3 years, so they would have had they're seniority frozen after those 3 years were up till now even if they extended.....is that right? It can be a little confusing trying to figure all of this out! :blink:

You are confused with the terminology. The 765 are not on VFLR, they were on various voluntary furlough (VF) programs offered over the years. When the programs expired, they were able to stay on a leave, with no longevity past the term of the VF. They will come back with seniority intact, and longevity up to the duration of the original VF. They are now referring to this as the EXL list, which should aleviate the confusion with VFLR. To clarify, Whatnow, when one returns they return to the current contract, so when we say they do not lose pay and vacation, we mean aside from what has been negotiated. They are not getting anything above or beyond than their peers, in fact likely less pay than someone who was active the whole time.

The VFLR program is Voluntary Furlough Limited Return. This was a buyout designed to be a complete seperation from the company. However, it was realized that these people would be denied unemployment if seen to have voluntarily completely left the company, so it was rewritten as a 'furlough', with return only as a new hire. When the invol and vol list are exhausted, before new hires, these F/As will be offered jobs in seniority order with the seniority and pay scale of a new hire F/A. In fact, they appear on the current seniority list under the very last 2001 hired F/A. It was written this way as a technicality, the idea of any of them coming back as a new hire (especially to this place) is pretty far fetched, but it will be offered as per the contract language.

Also, there seems to be a lot of confusion about seniority vs. longevity. No furlough F/A loses their seniority (excluding the above described VFLR, which is different). Your seniority never changes, if someone senior to you returns from a furlough, vol or invol, they are still senior to you for all purposes like bidding etc. Longevity is another thing. Longevity is how much time a F/A is credited for pay purposes. Vol furlough F/As accrued longevity for a period of time depending on the specific program they were part of. Invol furlough F/As do not accrue longevity while inactive. However, the incompetent and inconsistent AFA managed to negotiate for East F/As who flew on the Embraer division of East (referred to as MidAtlantic, but same certificate, same airline as US Airways Inc, or 'mainline') to, oddly, bring mainline longevity to MDA but not have longevity from time served in the division honored 'back at mainline'. Meanwhile, a furloughed East F/A who accepted a new hire position at America West while it was still a seperate airline brough no longevity to HP, but will have longevity from both US Airways and America West honored if anyone ever bothers to integrate the two. Talk about confusing, and well, just overall stupid, but look who we are talking about.

Personally, I'm all for them burning through the list until there is just an active list. I'd rather have the list fall into place where it will than have what amounts to whole bases or even small airlines worth of F/As not working but on the master seniority list. More than two-thirds of those lists are people who have long moved on anyway. I also happen to be a fan of receiving a guarantee from an inefficiently staffed company whilst only having to make the occasional appearance in manner of an exciting celebrity guest star or perhaps goodwill ambassador visiting third world country. Actually, I'd happily take a voluntary furlough myself if one were on offer.

The VFLR program is Voluntary Furlough Limited Return. This was a buyout designed to be a complete seperation from the company. However, it was realized that these people would be denied unemployment if seen to have seperated from the company, so it was rewritten as a 'furlough', with return only as a new hire. When the invol and vol list are exhausted, before new hires, these F/As will be offered jobs in seniority order with the seniority and pay scale of a new hire F/A. In fact, they appear on the current seniority list under the very last 2001 hired F/A. It was written this way as a technicality, the idea of any of them coming back as a new hire (especially to this place) is pretty far fetched, but it will be offered as per the contract language.

I guess I've also been confused about some of the terminology, as I thought I was on the VFLR, even though I never took a buyout and am still on the seniority list with my 1986 hire date. I took the VF2, but then when my max of 3 yrs. were up and the company said I either had to resign, go back on line or extend indefinitely, I chose the latter. So, I guess I'm considered EXL now? Confusing. As you said, there have been numerous voluntary leaves of different types offered over the years and it's hard to keep them straight.

I took the VFLR (originally left on the Voluntary Furlough 2 in Dec. of 2002) and have yet to receive any notification from the company about being recalled. I'm at the same mailing address I was when I left, so I'm not sure what happened to my letter. And if they want a response by April 3, shouldn't they have gotten these things out a little sooner??

VFLRs were NOT sent any letters. The letters only went to the EXL flight attendants.

I guess I've also been confused about some of the terminology, as I thought I was on the VFLR, even though I never took a buyout and am still on the seniority list with my 1986 hire date. I took the VF2, but then when my max of 3 yrs. were up and the company said I either had to resign, go back on line or extend indefinitely, I chose the latter. So, I guess I'm considered EXL now? Confusing. As you said, there have been numerous voluntary leaves of different types offered over the years and it's hard to keep them straight.

That said, you should have received or should be getting a letter within the next day or two.

If you plan on coming back at some point, make sure your addy is correct.

The e-line stated that no response is a "resign" from the company.

There is not much you can do if you don't check or respond.

You are not on VFLR. You took a VF2, which was one of I believe 9 VFs offered over the years, all of these are now considered EXL for simplicity purposes. You will be offered your position as a US Airways flight attendant just one more time in the very near future. If you accept, you will return with your 1986 seniority intact, and your longevity up until the agreement for the VF2 program originally stated.

If you do not accept, or fail to respond, you will be removed from the seniority list and seperated from the company, and will not be offered a position at the bottom of the list when that time comes.

I'm glad there is a junior flight attendant on an internet forum to keep you abreast.

You are confused with the terminology. The 765 are not on VFLR, they were on various voluntary furlough (VF) programs offered over the years. When the programs expired, they were able to stay on a leave, with no longevity past the term of the VF. They will come back with seniority intact, and longevity up to the duration of the original VF. They are now referring to this as the EXL list, which should aleviate the confusion with VFLR. To clarify, Whatnow, when one returns they return to the current contract, so when we say they do not lose pay and vacation, we mean aside from what has been negotiated. They are not getting anything above or beyond than their peers, in fact likely less pay than someone who was active the whole time.

The VFLR program is Voluntary Furlough Limited Return. This was a buyout designed to be a complete seperation from the company. However, it was realized that these people would be denied unemployment if seen to have voluntarily completely left the company, so it was rewritten as a 'furlough', with return only as a new hire. When the invol and vol list are exhausted, before new hires, these F/As will be offered jobs in seniority order with the seniority and pay scale of a new hire F/A. In fact, they appear on the current seniority list under the very last 2001 hired F/A. It was written this way as a technicality, the idea of any of them coming back as a new hire (especially to this place) is pretty far fetched, but it will be offered as per the contract language.

Also, there seems to be a lot of confusion about seniority vs. longevity. No furlough F/A loses their seniority (excluding the above described VFLR, which is different). Your seniority never changes, if someone senior to you returns from a furlough, vol or invol, they are still senior to you for all purposes like bidding etc. Longevity is another thing. Longevity is how much time a F/A is credited for pay purposes. Vol furlough F/As accrued longevity for a period of time depending on the specific program they were part of. Invol furlough F/As do not accrue longevity while inactive. However, the incompetent and inconsistent AFA managed to negotiate for East F/As who flew on the Embraer division of East (referred to as MidAtlantic, but same certificate, same airline as US Airways Inc, or 'mainline') to, oddly, bring mainline longevity to MDA but not have longevity from time served in the division honored 'back at mainline'. Meanwhile, a furloughed East F/A who accepted a new hire position at America West while it was still a seperate airline brough no longevity to HP, but will have longevity from both US Airways and America West honored if anyone ever bothers to integrate the two. Talk about confusing, and well, just overall stupid, but look who we are talking about.

Personally, I'm all for them burning through the list until there is just an active list. I'd rather have the list fall into place where it will than have what amounts to whole bases or even small airlines worth of F/As not working but on the master seniority list. More than two-thirds of those lists are people who have long moved on anyway. I also happen to be a fan of receiving a guarantee from an inefficiently staffed company whilst only having to make the occasional appearance in manner of an exciting celebrity guest star or perhaps goodwill ambassador visiting third world country. Actually, I'd happily take a voluntary furlough myself if one were on offer.

Believe it or not, that does clear it up. I was confused about the same thing.....Thank you

You are not on VFLR. You took a VF2, which was one of I believe 9 VFs offered over the years, all of these are now considered EXL for simplicity purposes. You will be offered your position as a US Airways flight attendant just one more time in the very near future. If you accept, you will return with your 1986 seniority intact, and your longevity up until the agreement for the VF2 program originally stated.

I'm glad there is a junior flight attendant on an internet forum to keep you abreast.

You are correct except for one thing.

The longevity did stop at the start of the VF2 or other VF programs. It only stopped when they accepted the EXL. In other words... If their EXL started May
2004 and they only had 5 year pay at THAT point, that is what they will come back to. The VF programs STILL accured longevity.

Wow, did not realize that soo many had taken the "original" VFLR.....765! Now if I'm not mistaken, that original VFLR was for 3 years, so they would have had they're seniority frozen after those 3 years were up till now even if they extended.....is that right? It can be a little confusing trying to figure all of this out! :blink:

765 is the number of those still left on the Extended Vol. Furlough. (Different furlough from the VFLR)

The VFLR participants are approximately 1200 (est.) as of the end of 2005. There may av been another hundred or so in 2006.

You are correct except for one thing.

The longevity did stop at the start of the VF2 or other VF programs. It only stopped when they accepted the EXL. In other words... If their EXL started May
2004 and they only had 5 year pay at THAT point, that is what they will come back to. The VF programs STILL accured longevity.

And you are exactly correct.

OK so this could get ugly. Let's say "Senior" Sally is on VFLR and goes through an ugly divorce and needs to get away so she decides to come back to US Airways since she is so desperate and will be at the bottom of the seniority list. She was hired in 1987. Will she be given a different employee number or will she still use the same US Airways employee that she used from before she took the VFLR? I can just see her and others like her trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes and saying "Oh, I'm senior to you! I have an 87 hire date!" and unsuspecting individuals will end up working a position they don't want. Even now with recycled numbers and f/as who were originally hired as agents or some other job within US Airways who have numbers that make them look senior to me, I have to be careful and look them up before the trip because I have witnessed and heard of instances where people junior to me were pulling these tricks. I know of people of all different seniorities who pull this crap. :down: I can only imagine some cat fights in the galley after f/as argue over seniority and DOH and especially when you know you're being manipulated. I just wonder how this will be handled.

OK so this could get ugly. Let's say "Senior" Sally is on VFLR and goes through an ugly divorce and needs to get away so she decides to come back to US Airways since she is so desperate and will be at the bottom of the seniority list. She was hired in 1987. Will she be given a different employee number or will she still use the same US Airways employee that she used from before she took the VFLR? I can just see her and others like her trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes and saying "Oh, I'm senior to you! I have an 87 hire date!" and unsuspecting individuals will end up working a position they don't want. Even now with recycled numbers and f/as who were originally hired as agents or some other job within US Airways who have numbers that make them look senior to me, I have to be careful and look them up before the trip because I have witnessed and heard of instances where people junior to me were pulling these tricks. I know of people of all different seniorities who pull this crap. :down: I can only imagine some cat fights in the galley after f/as argue over seniority and DOH and especially when you know you're being manipulated. I just wonder how this will be handled.

Just let them know they will be working the ramp at this rate ;) When are you coming to DCA to pick up those Imperials I have?

I don't think this is going to be an issue.

By the time the VFLRs come back we will probably be using our "new" numbers. I don't see them coming anytime soon.

If this would be the issue, do as I do. I look on the reserve list and look at their seniority number. Sometimes even now the employee numbers are misleading.

I took the VFLR (originally left on the Voluntary Furlough 2 in Dec. of 2002) and have yet to receive any notification from the company about being recalled. I'm at the same mailing address I was when I left, so I'm not sure what happened to my letter. And if they want a response by April 3, shouldn't they have gotten these things out a little sooner??

StewGuy: You didNOT take VFLR you took VF EXL, VFLR was the people who took the buy out and give up seniority. When you go back you will keep your seniority. ALL of the people on Voluntary Furlough that are being forced to come back are senior to 9/99 so everybody junior to 9/99 will move down.

Back