Revoking Your Iam Membership

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
Over the past month several fellow members have expressed an interest in revoking their membership in the IAM but either don't know how to do it or think they will lose their job. Below is for educational purposes only, and not to be construed as legal counsel or anything more than information to the topic.

To be sure, Yes, you can revoke your membership without losing your job. You simply become a non member but continue to pay your fair amount of dues, similar to what a dues-objector pays.

The process for how you do it is also quite simple. For educational purposes you can go to:
http://www.nrtw.org/a/a_1_r.htm

Text found on the above site says [Regarding airline employees]:

"If you are not a member, you are still fully covered by the collective bargaining agreement that was negotiated between your employer and the union, and the union is obligated to represent you. Any benefits that are provided to you by your employer pursuant to the collective bargaining agreement (e.g., wages, seniority, vacations, pensions, health insurance) are not affected by your nonmembership."

To be fair, I suppose I should say that I may also revoke my own membership in the IAM. IMO, there is no reason to continue my membership in a Labor Organization that reduces itself down to a company mouthpiece, or a courier service to deliver company proposals. For me, it is quite profane to be a member of company unions.

At any rate, jettisoning IAM membership is not for everyone. You do lose some benefits separate from your collective bargaining agreement but come exclusively with IAM membership. Such benefits include the 'junk mail' regarding credit card deals that offer high % interest on purchases for IAM members.

regards,

Interim Director, Allied Ground Workers

Dont forget you lose all rights like a dues objector.

And I see how great a trade unionist you are Tim, appoint yourself to your own made up union and then champion the Right to Work (for less) Committee.

You are a traitor to the labor movement.

And you lose the right to vote on a contract, shop steward and attend meetings to make a change.

Unreal.

You also loose your right to vote on contracts and issues.

A better way to show your disdain is to go on Hand pay. You will still have all your rights but now the Union has to monitor and bill you for your dues. Check your union security clause in your contract. With the TWU at AA the union has to mail you a certified letter before they can take action for non-payment, then after they spent the $5 in postage you pay them.

Unions hate hand pay and it is perhaps the only issue that unions like the TWU,IAM etc would strike over, notice that none of the airlines have gone after check-off.

It doesnt sound like you would notice anything missing! Dont worry 700 I heard the port-a-john company is looking for someone with experience. :)

700UW said:

And I see how great a trade unionist you are Tim, appoint yourself to your own made up union and then champion the Right to Work (for less) Committee.

And you lose the right to vote on a contract, shop steward and attend meetings to make a change.

Unreal.
[post="248817"][/post]​
There is no reason to ATTEND MEETINGS, Vote on contracts, or vote on Officiers,because the IAM has its own agenda, and tha is to support management!
The IAM has proven to be the LEADERS IN THE RIGHT TO WORK FOR LESS!

The IAM being called a UNION is an insult to real UNIONIST everywhere!

BTW, Tim has more UNION in his pinky than you will ever have, and I can see your jealousness coming thru your post!

700UW said:

Unreal.
[post="248817"][/post]​

yes, you do lose the right to vote on contracts but considering the IAM's latest Industry substandard contract runs through at least 2013 I hardly think that is an issue.

If rejecting Business unionism and company unions makes me a traitor to the American Labor movement then color me a traitor to it. For once I agree with you. And to be clear, it doesn't necessarily follow that being a traitor to a 'piss clam' company union is a traitor to workers. Quite the contrary my friend.

Unfortunately, the American Labor Movement is a movement in the wrong direction if a movement at all. Just pointing to the scoreboard, that's all. I repeat, anytime a Labor Organization reduces itself down to a 'courrier service' then what it calls itself [labor organization] is irrevelent and contrary to what it 'is'.

regards,

700UW said:

Unreal.
[post="248817"][/post]​

I dont see where Tim championed the RTW, he referenced a link to information.

I'm sure the RTW thinks much more highly of leaders like Roach, Little, Buffy etc than the leaders of the past.

The fact is the betrayal took place at the top where leaders were not willing to put aside their petty differences and put the workers first. They are more concerned about protecting their positions and preserving their power within the organization than doing what is right for the members.

When the judge first threatened to abrogate a labor contract(while leaving other contracts intact) the unions should have gotten together and said that they would shut down the entire industry.

The fact is that most airline workers have lost their careers. The unions did nothing to prevent this and they could have. Some completely lost their employment but even those who remained on the job lost the job and the life they once had. And the unions leaders went completely unscathed.

You tell me now, who is the traitor?

The fact is we have no union, we just pay dues.

Thats correct Bob,

Being a member of the IAM is exactly that, a NON-REPRESENTED DUES PAYING MEMBER!!!!! :down: :down:

Bob Owens said:
The fact is we have no union, we just pay dues.
[post="248828"][/post]​

True. All FSA do at US AIRWAYS is pay dues that supports Big Fat convention after convention. It's mind boggling. Unfortunately, the industry [sub]standard contract will not stop at US AIRWAYS. Now AA may point to union wage levels at US AIRWAYS and work out a deal to appease the TWU's dues so the TWU will not come up against a new 'deal' for their members [See IAM].

As a side, your idea of hand pay is interesting and worth looking into.

regards,

DR.EVIL said:
It doesnt sound like you would notice anything missing! Dont worry 700 I heard the port-a-john company is looking for someone with experience. :)
[post="248820"][/post]​
Hate to burst your bubble, but I will still be employed under the Mechanic and Related contract.

Keep trying.

I hope many members take this step since there is ZERO representation anyway.
This is especially true if you happen to be in a Class 2 station. The only bright thing to look forward to is not paying dues to these clowns after your job is outsourced. It appears that our wonderful IAM brass sold 20+ stations down the river to save catering in the Hubs. We can only hope they do away with them in the next round of concessions. Paying dues to this organization has been the waste of a lifetime.... :down:

You think one one the meatball mafia would have tried to stand up and help out thier union brothers by giving some info, any info or advice. But they huddle under thier desk hoping this will go away. 700, and the rest of the narrow minded kool aid drinkers at the union office have no clue who they represent. Nobody has seen a union person in weeks. Tell frank that the members would rather have the seamstress union than this bunch of morons representing the mechanics.

Sorry I am not hiding in an office, I am at work and sorry Frank is not at my station.

Try again.

And the membership is the workers, not the representatives, they membership voted for the final offer, not the representatives.

By the way I voted no!

700UW said:
So Tim, I heard you got laid-off, did you give up your recall too?
[post="248836"][/post]​

I am still employed by the company I work for.

And at this point I am still a member of the courrier service called the IAM.

However, I am in the process of resigning my membership since I do not need a courrier service. It is my understanding that many others are also in process.

I wish the IAM the best, it's just not for me.

regards,