Summer timetable...new services/service changes

You bring up some valid points. I guess I would need to look at the 10K to try to get a better vibe for the aircraft scheduled to come off lease...but the sense I get is that this compnay sees it's future not in servicing routes like ALB-ORD-SNA but rather in International services to places like DEL, PVG, etc. My feeling...and it is just that...a feeling...is that they are perfectly happy to parcel out nearly all of the domestic service to the likes of AE so that they can concentrate their capital on the International routes...

Do you really think that AA's frequent flyers are going to be willing to be crammed into a 50 seat (or less) regional jet or turboprop in order to get to the originating hub of their International flight? Routes such as ALB-ORD-SNA have already been given to AE, or discontinued.

Don't even think that the solution is to move the S80s or 737s or their successors to AE. That's what Crandall wanted, but a little thing called the SCOPE clause in the pilots' contract--which they have no intention of giving up--prevents AE from flying anything with more than 50 seats. That's why the 56-seat F100s were AA instead of AE.

That's why the 56-seat F100s were AA instead of AE.

Not exactly, Jim... There was a commitment made long ago that fleet types would not be moved from AA to AE.

The F100's were already in AA's fleet as a 98 seat aircraft going back to the early 90's. That's why they stayed AA when the 56 seat mod was made.

There might also be some MTOW caps which would require the F100 to be flown by mainline even if they were configured 70 seaters.

Heard in Tulsa that as many as 25 MD-80's to be parked, mostly those crappy TWA's.

Don't know if rumors are getting confused with fact, but the decision was made to finally retire the 33 MD80 aircraft which are in storage at ROW. 14 of those are leased, and all of them are ex-TW MD80's.

If I'm reading correctly, another dozen or so ex-TW MD80's are still floating about, as well as 55 ex-TW MD83's. The MD83's are still in demand from a scheduling perspective, so if there are really 25 more aircraft being retired, it will probably include the last of the ex-TW MD80's and presumably a dozen or so of the original AA MD80's (which are now 22 years old and counting).

Don't know if rumors are getting confused with fact, but the decision was made to finally retire the 33 MD80 aircraft which are in storage at ROW. 14 of those are leased, and all of them are ex-TW MD80's.

33 MD-80s? Just two weeks ago it was only 27; the two dozen stored in 2003 and three more pulled from service in the last week of December:

Arpey congratulated the airline's employees for lowering unit costs, excluding fuel and special items, for the fourth year in a row in 2005. He also pointed out that good customer service, capacity restraint, new products, and numerous fleet and schedule changes enabled American to outperform the industry in generating passenger revenue. Included in the numerous fleet and schedule changes was the year-end decision to permanently ground 27 MD80 aircraft, 24 of which had previously been in temporary storage. The remaining three aircraft were grounded as of Dec. 31, 2005.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060118/daw012.html?.v=79

Lets see there is a lifetime recall on all the former TWA pilots, But have somehow contrived and elaborate agenda to keep the former TWA f/a's out because of cost.

AA is willing to shrink and give up market share just to keep a couple thousand hard working people on the street.

Anyone who believes that is in there own little padded room.

And, if AA hired immediately after the recall rights of several thousand former TWA f/as expired, can you imagine the lawsuits? This is one that we would win.

33 MD-80s? Just two weeks ago it was only 27; the two dozen stored in 2003 and three more pulled from service in the last week of December.

I'm going off an internal list which shows 33 aircraft previously in temporary storage which are now retired (engines were cycled thru overhaul and/or distributed as spares).

ORD-PVG starts in April. I know its early but bookings look horrible so far. I hope this route doesn't turn out to be a flop.

ORD-PVG starts in April. I know its early but bookings look horrible so far. I hope this route doesn't turn out to be a flop.

Strong bookings are an obvious bonus, but this route will support itself on cargo alone, just like CO's Newark-Beijing.

Some updates..

LaGuardia-Pittsburgh, 4x daily ERJ-135, starts 03Apr06

JFK-Puerto Plata suspended 29 April
JFK-Kingston seasonal AB6 15 June-5 September

American Eagle will start Miami-Dulles 03Apr06. Daily ERJ-140 in addition to the daily mainline 757.

Additional flights between Miami and San Juan (+1x), Santiago Dom. Rep. (+4w), Puerto Plata (+3w), Tegucigalpa (+4w), and Kingston (+4w) will operate this spring/summer.

The outer edge of the international advance booking curve has been inside the 60-45 day window for quite a while now, so with the first week of departures just inside that window, I wouldn't read too much into the VNL's just yet. Check back closer to 30 days, and (hopefully) you'll see a much different picture.

I'm no smarter, or Insiteful than the rest of the "regulars" on here, BUT IMHO I think it's obvious what's happening.

"Numero Uno" is Crandall,s Prophecy is coming to fruition !(LESS and LESS domestic, being flown by Mainline.

ALWAYS remember, when you look/think of Arpey, THINK of "uncle" BOBBY!!

Second; to satisfy our customers "dread" of being "stuck" in RJ's, do you think they'd mind moving around in
EMB-170's ???? (Odd that no one mentioned A/E getting newer/Bigger A/c) !!!

As to how many F/a's would be needed to opperate a Smaller AA Main Line ?? That remains to be seen.

Again, IMHO, PVD was "very telling"

NH/BB's

Bears, you've got to let your hero worship of Crandall go.... He was a great man, but he left the building a looooong time ago.

Arpey has as much in common with Crandall as Brett Favre has in common with Bart Starr: they both played the same position for the same team on the sacred ground known as Lambeau Field. And while they might throw the same style ball in the same stadium (albeit one with skyboxes now), the game is a lot different now, and so is the playbook.

Well, most business travelers don't book nine weeks in advance, so I'm not worried.

BTW, First and Business are already zeroed out for the inaugural flight - looks like I'm gonna be sitting in the back for 15 hours or so.

Back