US IAM Fleet Service labor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a fairly general clause there John John..

Haha.. So according to that, management can make us all dress is clown clothing and load the bags with our teeth.

That sentence can be a loophole out of any aspect of the contract. That's milarkey.

Don't mean to sound like a radical? "Question"! When are we (the baggage guy's and girls) going to work safely by the corporate rules and regulations established by our company? Why not start today???? JUST A Thought????

You mean work lazy? I swear somedays I cannot tell if we are on strike or some other form of job action. When I see a picket sign, then I'll know for sure. All you Easties need to man-up and stop whining about how much SWA guys make when you all are too afraid to be in the bins alone, not to mention, turning flights in 25 minutes. If you don't believe me, then go YouTube some Southwest ramp agents bustin' it alone in a bin, no less!

Oh, by the way, this point policy does not violate the CBA, because our IAM brain trust permitted Management to establish an attendance policy unilaterally and the terms do not violate other parts of the CBA... and yes, Management could require fleet service to wear clown suits too, not that it would be much of a downgrade from our current torn orange vests.

So Critiques Jester.

I want to call immidate attention to our sick policy ...

In the past this was something that we could let slide ...all of that has now changed

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/25/swine.flu/index.html

i want to make every us airways employee aware of the grave threat this flu , possibly pandemic flu posses to our workers , specifically our workers based in arizona which borders mexico ...

i URGE our union to confront the company IMMDATELY and have the POINTS system suspended until this crisis has passed !!!!

Let me enlighten this company as to the status quo .....

people are afraid to lose their jobs by racking up points (bad economy , no one wants to chance a job loss these days ) we currently have people who actually report to work SICK ...

we CANNOT , i repat CANNOT have workers coming into work infected with this flu .... the transitmiton of this diseas needs to be stopped in its tracks immdeately ..

at this point the company could see the logic in what i''m proposing , but be thinking they will make it manditory for people to see the company doctor or any docotor ... i move that no one be required to see a doctor until their sick time has been extingused because hospitals and doctors offices are breeding places for diseases ...

your thoughts brothers and sisters ?

Goodfellow,
Unfortunately the only time you can get solidarity is when someone gets in trouble over something and then all of a sudden
they want to retaliate and work safe. But if they work by the book each and every day the chances of said person, probably would not of gotten in trouble to begin with.

Jester,
the only one on here that constantly brings up SWA and their work ethic is YOU. I'm sorry you didn't meet SWA's strict hiring standards and
had to settle with UsAirways , but you really need to let the jealousy of not working for them go. As far as working the bins alone. I wish you well in your next
life in trying to find a job with a blown back or ripped shoulder. I have seen some very physically fit people get injured trying to be a macho man.
so to you I say good luck on that . and please let the SWA thing go . No one really cares about them except you

If I get in the bin first, it's my bin, and I won't ask for help unless I think I'll need it. I really like working the bin and if someone crawls in uninvited assuming I need help I kick 'em back out. It's my show.

How is it perfectly safe for me to go to the gym on the corner for an intense three-hour workout session but I'm guaranteed to snap crackle and pop myself into severe, permanent injury if I spend 20 minutes loading 100 bags (yawn) into the belly of an aircraft? I dislocated my left shoulder about six weeks prior to getting this job, and was worried it might become a problem as I was still getting pains and soreness: turns out it just needed to be worked out and a few weeks after getting introduced to the bin all the soreness and stiffness was gone.

Some people are too foolish to realize their own limits or will sit around for an hour and a half stiffening up before jumping right in the bin. Yes, this is a good way to get injured. Yes, anyone should be able to ask for help in the bin and get it . But it's a preference, so why not leave it as such? What good does mandating such a thing do? Why don't we beseech management to replace us in the bin with robots so that we can cover ourselves in layers and layers bubble-wrap and sit in the break room for eight hours doing breathing exercises so that no one strains anything or gets stressed out thinking about having to break a sweat and do actual work? It sounds a lot safer, plus we'd have a lot more time to sit around and talk about our greatness as hard workers, the organized legions of the strong and dedicated working men and women that make this country great, those knights of labor that will never leave another's side, even if it is an insanely dangerous, nay, suicidal 30-bag upload in the front bin of an Airbus.

lol

The physical aspect of the work is what attracted me to this job in the first place, and I understand that this likely puts me in the minority. But the day I'm not allowed to be in the bin alone because of the union's or company's over-zealous cautiousness is the day I'll switch to CONX for good, or maybe the day I hit the road. I'll humbly ask the union to sit in with any meetings with management and I that call for it, but stay out of my bin. I don't need to pay them $10 a week in dues to ruin what I consider to be the best part of my job...

Guess you dont realize that airline employees have the second highest rate of OJIs, Farming is #1.

ChockJockey,

I couldn't have said it any better. Speaking from my own personal experiences, I once had a bad back which would cause sharp and sudden pains without warning after repetitive lifting. Ever since I have been doing this job, those pains have gone away and outside of the occaisional muscle spasm or stiffness. In many ways, I am in probably better shape than I was playing sports in high school so many years ago. If for some reason, I can no longer handle the bins then I'll become a dedicated runner or a bag room troll... either way I don't plan to stop moving and lifting.

I just hope when the Easties guys make their way to PHX, they are wearing skirts on the ramp so I can easily identify the slackers instead of listening to them whine about not wanting to short stack 50 bags in the aft of an Airbus alone on a quick turn.

Honestly, it makes me wish I had gone to SWA instead, but they were not hiring part-timers when I was looking. There is a whole different mentality and attitude based upon the conversations I have conducted with their people.

So Regrets Jester.

Just curious, some of you all that want to work the bins by your self please tell me your approx. age ? Most US East fleet employees are "a couple years" older & trust me it gets harder with age as you will find out. Or on second thought will you if you keep it up.

For Jester, when was the last time you got off your bagroom couch & worked a bin ?

Just curious, some of you all that want to work the bins by your self please tell me your approx. age ? Most US East fleet employees are "a couple years" older & trust me it gets harder with age as you will find out. Or on second thought will you if you keep it up.

For Jester, when was the last time you got off your bagroom couch & worked a bin ?

Mr. Callahan,

I am old enough to have grandchildren, but I don't feel it. I prefer to say that I am old for an apple, but young for a mountain. I work the bins everyday if I have a choice. Nothing like putting together a puzzle of 50 pound Samsonites and military duffle bags to keep me both mentally and physically fit. Besides my bag room couch is no more as it has been replaced by left over airport furniture. Let the old guys work the bag room as it is still honest work.

So Informs Jester.

Status
Not open for further replies.