US IAM Fleet Service labor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
bag room troll
"Troll" perfectly captures the essence of AM bag room. They're bitey.

Just curious, some of you all that want to work the bins by your self please tell me your approx.
I was born approximately when disco was dying.

Most US East fleet employees are "a couple years" older & trust me it gets harder with age as you will find out. Or on second thought will you if you keep it up.
In that case, we'll just say I'm enjoying my physical faculties to their fullest while I have them. We do have a number of gents of or nearing retirement age that insist on stacking alone, especially in the mornings. Some have that Old Man Strength of someone that's worked hard at hard work for most of his life; their contemporaries are the bread and butter of the bag room.

I thought the old timers just scream senority and work the bag room anyway.
The old timers in the bag room scream at anything that moves. Then they go into UDO and sit next to the time clock 30 minutes before their out time, sneering at and generally being annoyed by at people as they come and go...

...but at least the knee pads are finally being doled.

I have a pair of Angels Flight bell bottoms older than you...
http://www.dressthatman.com/view-PANT368.htm

So Grooves Jester.
Jester, to say I like you would be a lie! Cannot figure you out? One day you are on the couch then you are working bellies? Every time you post seems like Chock Jockey answers????? Do you have two avatars? Not that that all this seriously matters. Just thought I would would ask? So Seeks GF???

Every time you post seems like Chock Jockey answers????? Do you have two avatars? Not that that all this seriously matters. Just thought I would would ask? So Seeks GF???

I'm afraid you're one Scooby-Doo short of a freelance teenaged crime-fighting team. Or is this just a clever and subtle ruse to change the subject? But you're right, it actually does not matter. I do suspect that deep down, sincerely, subconsciously, we all each and every one come here secretly hoping to be outraged.

Jester, to say I like you would be a lie! Cannot figure you out? One day you are on the couch then you are working bellies? Every time you post seems like Chock Jockey answers????? Do you have two avatars? Not that that all this seriously matters. Just thought I would would ask? So Seeks GF???

Sir Goodfellow,

While I am disheartened to learn of your angst regarding our message board relationship, I can most assure you that I am not Mr. ChockJockey. Although I am flattered with such a comparison of a young fellow Phoenician, I have never even knowingly met him at PHX. Mr. ChockJockey is the "Bard of the Board" with his clever banter, references and wit, although it is a shame he does not write prose in iambic pentameter. Unfortunately, I am not above attempting really bad haiku... but I digress.

My reference to the forsaken bag room couch was to call attention to what I consider that absurbity of employees "working" while sprawled-out as if to be sleeping and being paid. It is all part of what annoys me about the "Don't-Give-a-Damn" mentality of much of the ramp... missed bags? Who's cares. Delayed flights? So what. People sleeping while a work? Not my problem. Alone in the bin to do a short stack? Work safe!

Given the morale of many within the organization, and the overall attitude (and this website does not encourage me), I am amazed we have stayed in business, and my only explanation is that other legacy airlines are just as bad, if not worse.

So Rectifies Jester.

Mr. Jester

I have said it before and will say it again.

I will pit my work ethics and abilities against any and all challengers. It is an assumption on my part but I would be willing to bet I have been doing this much longer than you and still remain healthy because I am a firm believer in working safe. You continue to work as you see fit but do not belittle those who have learned from experience. Try to put your arrogance aside and you may just learn a thing or two.

So States JoeDirt

We're like a broken record spinning into infinity, all of us, this board.

How about this:

Uniform colors. If you had a choice would you prefer to stay in your blues or switch with MX and wear gray? Navy blue gets hot in the sun, and though this was brought up long before any of the new uniforms shipped, I now hear they're (who exactly I don't know) listening to suggestions and looking into the feasibility of changing at least the t-shirt colors. Personally I'm down with taking bleach to the lot of mine, damned if the sweat doesn't splotch them into festive collar and armpit tie-dye anyways.

This after we've been in the new uniforms for six months, but...whatever.

Thoughts?

Mr. Jester

I have said it before and will say it again.

I will pit my work ethics and abilities against any and all challengers. It is an assumption on my part but I would be willing to bet I have been doing this much longer than you and still remain healthy because I am a firm believer in working safe. You continue to work as you see fit but do not belittle those who have learned from experience. Try to put your arrogance aside and you may just learn a thing or two.

So States JoeDirt
May not be arrogance, maybe just an over educated baggage handler? Maybe there will be an opening on the Darkside for him (or HER) when the economy rebounds???

CJ
You are right. The dark blue T's are hot and that much more so with the vest. I don't know about switching colors with MX. The light gray T's that we had were not too bad in the sun. I think a color that would allow us to be rid of the vest would be the best option.

I do find it weird that they require the rampers to wear dark blue almost black t-shirts. AWA had light grey shirts forever because of the sun. For the same reason that once the merger happened we painted the planes white for less heat absorbtion. Why would you require people to wear dark navy blue in 110 plus degree heat in phx? Only thing I can think of is company wants to keep people that much more miserable in an effort to make them want to quit.

Only thing I can think of is company wants to keep people that much more miserable in an effort to make them want to quit.

Or they care more about the impressions the employees might be having on the passenger's perceptions of the airline than they do those same employees' well-being. That is to say that likely whatever fashion consultants they hired for the uniforms thought blue-on-blue would coordinate better.

So basically they probably paid someone to tell them how to do the least practical thing, spent money doing it, and are now considering spending money to undo it. Bureaucratic incompetence sure is costly but boy does it stimulate the economy...

CJ
You are right. The dark blue T's are hot and that much more so with the vest. I don't know about switching colors with MX. The light gray T's that we had were not too bad in the sun. I think a color that would allow us to be rid of the vest would be the best option.

Like what I tell my wife... "I would swim any river, climb any mountain, cross any desert to be with you... but not now as the mosquitos are terrible this time of year." Well, such as those as yourself who will pit "work ethics and abilities against any and all challengers," but not if it includes being alone in a bin or having to wear dark colors in the summer or a safety vest!

Here's a suggestion... let's find more creative excuses for not meeting expectations. For example, "The dog ate my PBT!" Maybe, "I was inspecting my eyelids for holes." Or, "I was just stewing over Jester's comments from last night!" Suggestions?

The Easties who come to PHX will rue the day they make that decision if they think wearing a safety vest or dark colors are the causes of being uncomfortably hot on the 130 degree concrete. Two summer weeks on the job and this will be the resulting whine... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owomq9qESY8

So Forecasts Jester.

The Easties who come to PHX will rue the day they make that decision if they think wearing a safety vest or dark colors are the causes of being uncomfortably hot on the 130 degree concrete.

You think it is only hot in PHX, work in CLT when the humidity is 95% and your cod sack is sticking to your thighs...

Like what I tell my wife... "I would swim any river, climb any mountain, cross any desert to be with you... but not now as the mosquitos are terrible this time of year." Well, such as those as yourself who will pit "work ethics and abilities against any and all challengers," but not if it includes being alone in a bin or having to wear dark colors in the summer or a safety vest!

Here's a suggestion... let's find more creative excuses for not meeting expectations. For example, "The dog ate my PBT!" Maybe, "I was inspecting my eyelids for holes." Or, "I was just stewing over Jester's comments from last night!" Suggestions?

The Easties who come to PHX will rue the day they make that decision if they think wearing a safety vest or dark colors are the causes of being uncomfortably hot on the 130 degree concrete. Two summer weeks on the job and this will be the resulting whine... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owomq9qESY8

So Forecasts Jester.

I think maybe you've been in the sun too long and there's no question Freedom has

work however you please I could care less, if you croak over out there in the bin in the hot by yourself at least you will have taken pride in doing so :rolleyes:

as for Easties coming there? who wants to do that? not because of heat but who wants to be that close to the bozos who call them selves running this train wreck? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.