US IAM Fleet Service topic 2/17-

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Slavery Style management?" Gotta be kidding... let me be in charge and the bag room couch would be a bon fire, and 8 hours ramp teams would handle more than 2 turns. And yes, even the flights would be properly loaded to places like CLT and PHL who wouldn't return the favor, but let their walking bosses figure it out.

So Dictates Jester.

As a PHX vet I ask, "Say what???!!!"

gary_coleman1_1.jpg

"Slavery Style management?" Gotta be kidding... let me be in charge and the bag room couch would be a bon fire, and 8 hours ramp teams would handle more than 2 turns. And yes, even the flights would be properly loaded to places like CLT and PHL who wouldn't return the favor, but let their walking bosses figure it out.

So Dictates Jester.

Why don't you put in for Shift Mgr. You seem to be part of the problem already so why not go ahead and get the title too?

??? for chock jockey or anyone else in the Know out in phx. Jester need not reply nor freedom

have you guys come up to speed with your shop stewards and how effective are they will dealing

with the slavery style management that is in place out there.

Well, I can't claim to be in the know, only what I see hear and think.

The vast majority of exchanges between rampers and managers are pretty cordial unless there's some specific issue. If a shift manager wants to see about getting something done, he or she will almost always ask if it can be done, not just tell us it has to. That's a small thing but it goes to show that in PHX it's generally a pretty casual and respectful relationship. People are not berated or disciplined in front of others; praise tends to be public and more serious discussions are private. A few weeks ago a manager was let go from what I heard had been his going over the top in criticizing an agent (that manager had originally transferred from PHL). Additionally a lot of our managers started on the ramp and people in both groups have been working with each other for years. I dunno, it's usually a pretty cool vibe, it would be cool if you could spend some time here and see how it is.

So Dictates Jester.

I hate(love) to be the consummate Devil's Advocate but the couch in O/S (that I assume you're referring to) is there in lieu of respectable workplace seating (see also T-Point tent and any other work space that has to utilize borken office chairs from the ROC). Agents working eight hours in the basement on a slow day should have some kind of seating provided, even if they're just work stools. My heaviest day on the ramp or busiest in CONX has never left my body as much soreness as 8 hours in O/S or TP.

It is true that some teams can end up working less than two or less flights a day, and there are always one or two crews each day this "lucky", but the average work done is usually more than two flights when one factors in break relief and coverage of unassigned gates; even so as it is now the unit lead has more say so in a team's workload than has the shift manager. I had four and a half flights on the last ramp shift I worked; even then that includes a lot of down time.

I always load my bins correctly regardless of the destination, but I take pride in my work. I agree though PHX does need a lot more done in terms of QA.

So advises ChockJockey.

I'm pretty sure they are the same person.

Me, not so much.

Why don't you put in for Shift Mgr. You seem to be part of the problem already so why not go ahead and get the title too?

I get the feeling that if he tried to do this he'd either go pretty far pretty fast or get fired almost immediately.

Chock Jockey

Your post seem to indicate we (CLT & PHX) have a lot in common.

We have had a few scanner oops too. :rolleyes: Holsters are now available. :down:

I did read something I didn't like. Where exactly are these ammo boxes located?

Are they under the jetways?

Chock Jockey

Your post seem to indicate we (CLT & PHX) have a lot in common.
I agree, maybe more than people would believe (or want to admit).

We have had a few scanner oops too. :rolleyes: Holsters are now available. :down:
Casualties for these gizmos would be inevitable even in the hands of the most well-intentioned, given our work environment. Yeah, there may be a few people that will opt for holsters but for the most part I don't think they'll be ordering any more for some time. I may add more comments/criticisms on how the scanners were rolled out later...

I did read something I didn't like. Where exactly are these ammo boxes located?

Are they under the jetways?

Yes, these have been attached to the large bins we have underneath our jetways that are attached to the crossbeam and travel with it on wheels. This bin holds the air conditioning hose and on the outside of it on the aircraft side are hooks for the chocks and on the opposite side is a mounting for a water cooler and the newly-installed ammo boxes. Again, I haven't heard anything specific about what those boxes are for, they seemed to just appear one day.

CJ

There are placards on the jetways warning not to stow or hang anything on or underneath the jetway. A moving jetway is very dangerous and we had a fellow who was severely injured by the wheels. Do not place yourselves in danger.

We’re lucky enough to have some really great management out here , I won’t go into detail , but we’ve got the BEST .. :up: :up: :up:

In the contract that we had prior to merging with HP, there had to be a 2 hour gap between parttime shifts. Is this the case with the contract we are under now? I can't find it anywhere in it. If you are in the know about it please clue me in. Or tell me how it is in your particular station regarding back to back or overlapping parttime shifts.

Rogue
Hey Ramp Rogue, just to let you know, like Oman said, if the part-time hours or anything else wasnt in the new TA, then you revert back to the contract. Art. 26 of the old contract, not sure which art. in the new one, states that the company will not schedule back to back pt shifts. The union's position would be if there are 2 pt shifts back to back, then that should be a ft shift. If guys in phx are getting by with it or anywhere else for that matter, I think the union reps there should be all over that, and get those lines changed or demand a full time line for those hours.

A few weeks ago a manager was let go from what I heard had been his going over the top in criticizing an agent (that manager had originally transferred from PHL).

CJ,
that wouldn't MC would it. it fits his mo.

also back to the main question I had . How are the shop stewards working out. wondering if PHX is turning

the page with there union or are still just wrapped up in there new hourly rate.

sidenote: I was out there for a week during sabre cut over . I know a week doesn't tell the whole story

but did see a lot what I would refer to as get it done at all cost mentality from your managers. and the fact

that Zone loading wasn't a concern for your OPs manager then and still isn't explains why the planes are loaded

the way they are.

once again jester has a hard time following directions.. What part of "need not reply" don't you understand
if I wanted to hear your opinion . I would walk down to the corner and ask the village idiot his thougts

That was the collective sound of one hand clapping... It seems the Nihilist Directions team has no answers or comments,
So Philosophizes Jester.

Are we not the plumbeus one ?

Or in the words of my Irish brethren... dallintinneach!

images.jpg

O'man

Hope you are doing well!

We’re lucky enough to have some really great management out here , I won’t go into detail , but we’ve got the BEST .. :up: :up: :up:
We’re lucky enough to have some really great UNION LEADERSHIP out here , I won’t go into detail , but we’ve got the BEST .. :up: :up: :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back