Who is in the lead for union representation for M&R @ the new American Airlines?

Jun 17, 2003
We AMT's at Usairways are hearing that the TWU is going to be out at AA, so who do you guys think will be the future union representatives for the mechanic and related group at the combined Usairways/American Airlines?

We are curently IAM, with alot of guys pushing teamsters. We do have a very solid pension fund that most are happy with.

We AMT's at Usairways are hearing that the TWU is going to be out at AA, so who do you guys think will be the future union representatives for the mechanic and related group at the combined Usairways/American Airlines?

We are curently IAM, with alot of guys pushing teamsters. We do have a very solid pension fund that most are happy with.
I read that under the IAM pension if you retire that you can not collect your pension if you take another job in the airline industry. Is that true?

Seems to me a pension based on poverty wages will be a poverty pension.

I read that under the IAM pension if you retire that you can not collect your pension if you take another job in the airline industry. Is that true?

There are some type of rules about working in the aviation field after you retire while collecting your pension. I have not looked into them personally, because for me its a non factor as I don't plan on retiring and going back to wrenching or crawling around aircraft when I am over 65. Most of the guys I work with could care less also. I do know that since May 2008 when this plan became effective for the mechanics, that at the end of 2013 I will have already accumulated $450 a month for life, and only growing. Our current yearly multiplier is $85 per year, and with an additional .40 cent per hour, per employee contribution increase from the company then the multiplier jumps to $100 per year. Not to bad in my opinion.

Do the AMT's at Southwest have a pension with AMFA? Are they offering to start one if you guys vote them in at AA?

The teamsters are promising the world to us here at Usairways, but when you ask them to put it in wriitng all we get is SILENCE! I myself will stay as far away as I can from the teamsters!

Of all the things I look for in a union, managing my retirement funds (via a union-managed DB pension) is way down the list.

If the AA mechanics vote for an industrial union instead of AMFA, then they deserve everything that happens to them from that point forward.

The union doesnt manage the pension fund, how many times do I have to post that information?

There is an independent trustee appointed by the board, the board is made up of half IAM appointees and half from the companies that participate in the IAMPF.

Didn't Robert Roach testify that his PBGC administered pension for 30 years of service at TWA is just over $200/month during the DL/NW merger hearings in 2008? Obviously it's no skin off his back as an international Vice President and now Treasurer but I'd think its not too pleasant for the other workers.

https://www.youtube....h?v=aIEq2_fAcII (1:10)

Josh

The TWU was done until the Teamster salesman came knocking and making false promises. Now with a 3 way split developing they might stay in power by default. AMFA has always been the only class and craft union and we need to parlay our class and craft and fight from a position of strength not numbers. The numbers theology has failed in the TWU and Teamsters end game so its time we go with class and craft.

so I support AMFA and their constitution

please read:
http://www.amfanatl.org/docs/2013_AMFA_Constitution.pdf

Correct.

Also true if you retire and work for another company outside the industry that is covered by the IAM.

The teamsters have a lock on the trucking end and I respect what they control of it. But let our class and craft run the airline side of it. The people who work in the aviation field know how to run it and have no problem understanding where it needs to go. I would not know the trucking industry and would not try to lead something i know little to nothing about.
AMFA needs to lock up the Aviation side of the business and we can support the Teamsters in the world of trucking.

AMFA 2013

Didn't Robert Roach testify that his PBGC administered pension for 30 years of service at TWA is just over $200/month during the DL/NW merger hearings in 2008? Obviously it's no skin off his back as an international Vice President and now Treasurer but I'd think its not too pleasant for the other workers.

https://www.youtube....h?v=aIEq2_fAcII (1:10)

Josh
well his $200 a month was probly from his twa pension. we did not get into the iam pension plan till a few years before aa got us. twa employees had their own twa pension which was frozen during one of the bks we went thru sorry cant remember which one. then on our last contract we were able to get into the iam pension plan which is different. the twa pension was then taken over by the pbgc in our last bk and thats where we got pennies on the dollar for our pension.

well his $200 a month was probly from his twa pension. we did not get into the iam pension plan till a few years before aa got us. twa employees had their own twa pension which was frozen during one of the bks we went thru sorry cant remember which one. then on our last contract we were able to get into the iam pension plan which is different. the twa pension was then taken over by the pbgc in our last bk and thats where we got pennies on the dollar for our pension.

Ok thanks.

Josh

ok i am not trying to be smart, and i am not pro twu i want them out more than anything. i am just trying to figure out who i want to back, because i am really not to sure right now. to be honest i am leaning towards teamsters just because my parents were teamsters and they dont have one bad thing to say about teamsters. and after that i am probly leaning towards the iam. but i really dont know that much about amfa. and please dont think i am slamming amfa but what has amfa done in the industry? from what i seen they sacrifice overhaul for line, and no i am not from tulsa, they really screwed up northwest, and at swa they are working off a contract that teamsters got for them. so if someone can give me so positive info for amfa i would appreciate it, thanks.

Back