Bang! - You're Unemployed!

ua767fo said:
Labor gets what we negotiate, period. The concept of worth doesnt apply here. If the ramp negotiated rate is $19, then so be it...just like upper management negotiates for their million$.
Excellent point.....

So you are saying that becuase they are in a union, they are somehow entitled to a higher wage?

Im saying that because they are in a union, they are able and entilted to negotiate a higher wage

THAT is the sort of attitude that has people all over America hating unions and everything they stand for.It is this false sense of "Well, I am in a union, and I now have got my employer by the balls!" that is leading to the rise of professional union busters and closed shop employers. Instead of behaving in a rational, understanding way, your attitude is one of which, "I want to get the most amount of money for the least amount of work".

As opposed to "Well, my employees are not in a union, and I now have got my emplyees by the balls!" ? Or the attitude of "I want to get the most amount of work for the least amount of money"

Ass far as my attitude, what the heck do you know about me? I was there when the planes came in, I was there when the planes broke, and fixed them as fast as I could.I put MY signature on the line. I was there on christmas,new years,thanksgiving, and every other holiday.I didnt call sick during the superbowl. I earned my pay.

ua767fo said:
El Gato speaks with conviction, but no spine. I summize from his postings that he is scared, doesnt think much of his labor value, and worse than that, would scab given the chance (see his very first posting). One is a human reaction, one is a flaw of character.

Labor gets what we negotiate, period. The concept of worth doesnt apply here. If the ramp negotiated rate is $19, then so be it...just like upper management negotiates for their million$.

Jobs come, jobs go. We're far better off with no Eastern, and no Lorenzo. Temporarily painful for many, long term everyone is better off.

DENVER,CO
First off, no I am not scared. Second, I should never have to "scab" anyway since unions and management are supposed to be in a cooperative relationship, not an adverserial one. Example: Southwest.

You have the nerve to question character? I believe you are a United f/o based on your name, and soon to be on the street yourself. How is retar-ted going? You and your cronies managed to burn a quarter billion so far this year, and now you want the feds to give you more to burn. And you think unions are being helpful? Give me a break.

Jobs come and go sure......but maybe you forgot about a little something called seniority. Guys who in their 50's are SOL when it comes to getting hired by the JetBlue's of the world, and the fact is that they are the future. You are not. Even if you got hired, you will be pulling gear for someone half your age in a non-union environment. You know what you can do with a grievence there? Good toilet paper.

You say it is far better off that Eastern is gone. You obviously didn't see the thousands who had to sell their homes, scramble to find other work and say goodbye to something they themselves did not kill. But I bet you would have stood alongside that schmuck Bryan and held up signs saying "We won", right?
Yeah, real victory in death, isn't there.

El Gato said:
Instead of behaving in a rational, understanding way, your attitude is one of which, "I want to get the most amount of money for the least amount of work".
I'm not a fan of everything unions do, by any means.

However, who among us can really say that they don't want to get the most compensation for the least amount of work?

I work for an airline, and I earn a decent wage. I am thankful for what I have, and am capable of handling concessions. When I say giving back, I am saying the givebacks that SHOULD have been done in Chptr 11. You see, that was the greatest screwup Siegel made. He foolishly believed that the unions would be understanding of what the plight of the company is. In C11, he SHOULD have abrogated all contracts and had the judge lay down the new wages, work rules, etc. Now it is too late for that, and he has to beg the unionistas, who still think US is not in danger.

I really don't care about your union story. You have done more than say your piece, with adding an insult at the end which I hope the moderator catches. I am so tempted to call you something like a pi*che ma*icon, but that wouldn't be right now would it.

sentrido said:
Im saying that because they are in a union, they are able and entilted to negotiate a higher wage

As opposed to "Well, my employees are not in a union, and I now have got my emplyees by the balls!" ? Or the attitude of "I want to get the most amount of work for the least amount of money"

Ass far as my attitude, what the heck do you know about me? I was there when the planes came in, I was there when the planes broke, and fixed them as fast as I could.I put MY signature on the line. I was there on christmas,new years,thanksgiving, and every other holiday.I didnt call sick during the superbowl. I earned my pay.
The idea is that in a well run company, there is no need for a union in the first place. A great example of this is JetBlue....do you see those folks demanding a union? They would vote it down in a heartbeat! They are treated well, respectfully, and are compensated well. A union would kill them dead, because unions seem to have a nasty habit of asking more, and more, and more. And when they don't get what they want, they go nuts. It is not about who has who by the balls, but who respects who more.

The idea is that in a well run company, there is no need for a union in the first place

Since when has US been a well run company?

They are treated well, respectfully, and are compensated well.

Well yea, who would care about having a union in a comapany like that? I work in a company like that. Its great.

A union would kill them dead, because unions seem to have a nasty habit of asking more, and more, and more

So does managment. And all the unions gave. And then gave again.

El Gato invokes the labor-management paradise of Southwest:
...unions and management are supposed to be in a cooperative relationship, not an adverserial one. Example: Southwest.

Ummm, el Gato.....

When you catch your breath, you might want to catch up on the news at Southwest these days. Seems pretty adversarial between the f/a's and Mr. Parker over there at the LUV factory.

When you are done catching up on that, you might also want to catch up on your history. The rights we take for granted today are because some workers back in the day realized that labor and management have a fundamentally adversarial relationship and that unless workers were organized, management would always have the upper hand in that conflict. They got organized and made a difference under worse economic conditions that we see today! Defeat for their struggles often meant starvation or a bullet from the police or the National Guard or the Pinkertons. Nope, everything we have had to be fought for.... It wasn't bestowed by the magnanimity of a beneficent and generous management.

The point where labor has gone off the rails in this country has been the point where it forgot that basic fact and thought the guard could be lowered. Where labor unions have been fooled into believing their role was to aid their bosses' competitiveness. It's only meant that we have set ourselves at each others throats as we beggar ourselves as a sacrifice upon the alter of that false god, The Marketplace, in turn beggaring our coworkers at other companies as concessions roll from employer to employer while our unions approach the situation on a company by company basis.

Sorry, but history and the present reality do not support the assertions you have made.

In solidarity with PITbull, Lightyears, 700UW and the others who can see beyond their fears. Keep up the good fight! You are in the company of heros.
-Airlineorphan

El Gato said:
I really don't care about your union story. You have done more than say your piece, with adding an insult at the end which I hope the moderator catches. I am so tempted to call you something like a pi*che ma*icon, but that wouldn't be right now would it.
El Gato Since you don't care why are you trying to wind everybody up. Your true colors are showing and I am not falling for it................ :p You are just another windup artist from another company doing this to be spiteful. Nice try.....

mweiss said:
I'm glad you like the reference, but Kansas never performed "Mr. Roboto," to my knowledge. It's a Styx tune.
Actually this post reminds of that Devo song called "Whip it" because this subject has been whipped to death. ;)

Seatactus quotes mweiss and appropriately invokes Devo's immortal hit:
QUOTE (mweiss @ Apr 15 2004, 04:01 PM)
I'm glad you like the reference, but Kansas never performed "Mr. Roboto," to my knowledge. It's a Styx tune.

Actually this post reminds of that Devo song called "Whip it" because this subject has been whipped to death.

Of course, Nine Inch Nails' "Head like a Hole" comes to mind as well. I believe I quoted it bere before:

"Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve!"
and so forth....

-Airlineorphan

airlineorphan said:
In solidarity with PITbull, Lightyears, 700UW and the others who can see beyond their fears. Keep up the good fight! You are in the company of heros.
-Airlineorphan
For you Airline Orphan!

Solidarity Forever!

When the union's inspiration through worker's blood shall run, There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun; Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one, For the union makes us strong.

Solidarity forever, Solidarity forever, Solidarity forever, For the union makes us strong

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite; Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might? Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight? For the union makes us strong

Solidarity forever, Solidarity forever, Solidarity forever, For the union makes us strong

It is we who ploughed the prairies, built the cities where they trade, Dug the mines and built the workshops, endless miles of railroad laid; Now we stand outcast and starving 'mid the wonders we have made, But the union makes us strong

All the world that's owned by idle drones is ours and ours alone We have laid the wide foundations, built it skyward stone by stone. It is ours, not to slave in, but to master and to own. While the union makes us strong.

They have taken untold millions that they never toiled to earn, But without our brain and muscle not a single wheel will turn; But without our brain and muscle not a single wheel will turn; We can break their haughty power, gain our freedom when we learn; That the union makes us strong

In our hands is placed a power greater than their hoarded gold, Greater than the might of armies magnified a thousand fold; We can bring to birth a new world from the ashes of the old, For the union makes us strong.

"Solidarity," Words by Ralph Chaplin

El Gato said:
The idea is that in a well run company, there is no need for a union in the first place. A great example of this is JetBlue....do you see those folks demanding a union? They would vote it down in a heartbeat! They are treated well, respectfully, and are compensated well. A union would kill them dead, because unions seem to have a nasty habit of asking more, and more, and more. And when they don't get what they want, they go nuts. It is not about who has who by the balls, but who respects who more.
el gato, you better layoff the el cracko dude :blink: you think everyone who is non union appreciates their lordship employer and is getting paid what they are worth? how about one of this countrys most profitable fortune 500 companies WALMART, you know where you shop for less and buy all your made in the r.o.c. "stuff". walmart is a prime example why unions came into being. they take advantage of people expecting them to work overtime with NO PAY, your about as far removed from reality as they come dude. everytime the "peasants" try to organize they get #### canned, hey since your so pro company perhaps you could be a wally world greeter and get your minimum wage. OR PERHAPS YOUR JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE THE SKILLS TO GET UNION REPRESENTATION :shock:

Thanks 700UW! Glad to know there are some who understand that if we don't hang together we shall surely hang separately!
-Airlineorphan

P.S. Here's a couple right back at you:

Which Side Are You On?

Come all you good workers,
Good news to you I'll tell
Of how the good old union
Has come in here to dwell.
CHORUS:
Which side are you on?
Which side are you on?
Which side are you on?
Which side are you on?