Bankruptcy Would have been worse?

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
According to a post on the UAL page they had a temporary cut of 14% from the judge. The contract they negotiated actually got them back 1% of that, so they took a 13% cut.

We gave 17.5%
Plus 7 sick days
Plus First two sick days paid at half pay
Plus 5 holidays
Plus holiday pay reduced from 2.5X to 1.5 X.
Plus longevity pay
Plus shift differential
Plus system protection
Plus double time
Plus overtime for overtime in training.
Plus IOD reduced from 80 to 10 days
Plus more but I''m getting ill writing about it.

----------------
On 5/26/2003 6:59:42 AM capeman wrote:

I find it hard to accept that UAL gave only 13% and that is it. Believe me, they gave a lot more than that. Why don''t you start with stock and retirement?

----------------​
I find it hard to accept that the AA Mechanic would have faired worse in a Bankruptcy Proceeding than what James C. Little agreed to "without further ratification". To top that, there are no guarantees that the AA Mechanic will not face Bankruptcy anyway.

It never ceases to amaze me how within days of the concessions, the "clouds were parting", fuel was down, ticket revenue was up, and the employees were asked to forget the concession battle.

----------------
On 5/26/2003 6:39:31 AM Bob Owens wrote:
According to a post on the UAL page they had a temporary cut of 14% from the judge. The contract they negotiated actually got them back 1% of that, so they took a 13% cut.
----------------​

Didn''t the UA employees also ''give up'' their ESOP? Doesn''t that count as a concession?

Its tough to say how kind a bankruptcy judge would be to AA mechanincs. I''d imagine the paycut would be similar to UA (13%), which I guess is better than what your union ''negotiated'', but I''m sure AA would ask for you to give up more.

There is''nt a doubt in my mind that (hypothetically), if AA "came crying", and said that "we need FURTHER concessions, OR ELSE WE''LL HAVE TO CLAIM BK-11", that APA, and the (weak sister) TWU would "successfully" convince the majority of their members TO VOTE YES !!!!!!!

The ABSOLUTE SADDEST PART of a scenario like that is, that this board would be filled with AAers saying that " A second round of concessions really sucks, BUT IT''s BETTER THAN WINDING UP IN BANKRUPTCY COURT" !!!!!

In the eyes of some people, I wonder when "TOO MUCH EXTORTION", would be "TOO MUCH" ????????????

NH/BB''s

Well Bob "Half Truth" Owens is at it again! He fails to mention UAL''s health insurance for a family is like $200+ a month now. Also the closure of two of their three maint bases and the thousands of layoffs that accompanied that action. Unlike the layoffs at AA, those jobs are gone FOREVER! Our new system protection date is in 1998. After UAL''s Chap 11 theirs is in 1990!! To hold a mechanics position at UA you now need 13 years seniority! But hey, they got a GREAT deal in Bankrupcy Court!

----------------
On 5/26/2003 3:38:00 PM RV4 wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how within days of the concessions, the "clouds were parting", fuel was down, ticket revenue was up, and the employees were asked to forget the concession battle.

----------------​
Really? Ticket revenue is up because the government isn''t taking the tax and the airlines "raised" the fares (invisible to the consumer). You give AMR management way too much credit for their influence on the oil markets. Just look at the pictures on this link [url="http://www.wtrg.com/EnergyCrisis/index.html"]http://www.wtrg.com/EnergyCrisis/index.html[/URL], you don''t even have to read the text....just the pictures tell a story. After looking at them, tell me exactly how AMR managment will be able to keep oil prices down, given the unstable nature of oil prices for the past 30 years? Of course there is an outside chance that AMR might be able to hedge fuel, but that''s a gamble...and it depends on the credit rating (none to good right now, down the toilet if they file bankruptcy).

----------------
On 5/26/2003 7:24:51 PM RV4 wrote:

I never said anything about AMR management and their "influence" on these items?

So go blow smoke up someone else''s ass.

----------------​
Sorry I must have misunderstood your post. You see...it seemed to me as if you were implying that managment must have been lying about the need for concessions as revenue went up and fuel (a derivative of crude oil) prices came down. All I am saying is that crude oil may skyrocket tomorrow, or it might drop a little more. Bottom line, just asking you to review the graphs to get a feel for how the price of fuel can fluctuate - and then advise a long term strategy that management might use to plan for those fluctuations - and try to think of something other than "shrink the airline" as a strategy.

----------------
On 5/26/2003 7:11:31 PM KCFlyer wrote:

----------------

----------------​
Really? Ticket revenue is up because the government isn''t taking the tax and the airlines "raised" the fares (invisible to the consumer). You give AMR management way too much credit for their influence on the oil markets. Just look at the pictures on this link http://www.wtrg.com/EnergyCrisis/index.html, you don''t even have to read the text....just the pictures tell a story. After looking at them, tell me exactly how AMR managment will be able to keep oil prices down, given the unstable nature of oil prices for the past 30 years? Of course there is an outside chance that AMR might be able to hedge fuel, but that''s a gamble...and it depends on the credit rating (none to good right now, down the toilet if they file bankruptcy).

----------------​
I never said anything about AMR management and their "influence" on these items?

So go blow smoke up someone else''s ass.

----------------
On 5/26/2003 7:45:38 PM KCFlyer wrote:

All I am saying is that crude oil may skyrocket tomorrow, or it might drop a little more. Bottom line, just asking you to review the graphs to get a feel for how the price of fuel can fluctuate - and then advise a long term strategy that management might use to plan for those fluctuations - and try to think of something other than "shrink the airline" as a strategy.​
----------------​
Fair enough,

AMR management should try using that Political Influence to promote an alternative to crude based fuel. Something that will also reduce our dependence on foreign oil and improve our environment.

Like : [url="http://www.syntroleum.com"]http://www.syntroleum.com[/URL]

GENERAL INFORMATION
Syntroleum Corporation is in the business of monetizing remote and/or stranded natural gas. It is the developer, user and licensor of the Syntroleum Process, a proprietary process for converting natural gas (or synthesis gas from coal) into synthetic liquid hydrocarbons - a process general known as gas-to-liquids (GTL) technology. We employ our technology to form joint ventures and acquire equity in oil and gas development projects where GTL is critical to a project's success. We also license the Syntroleum Process to others. Syntroleum's unique capabilities enable us to offer attractive solutions for natural gas reserves (including flared gas) that are not economic to produce using traditional methods.
The Syntroleum Process produces synthetic liquid hydrocarbons, also known as synthetic crude oil, that are virtually free of contaminants that are normally found in products made from conventional crude oil. These synthetic liquid hydrocarbons can be further processed into higher margin products through conventional refining techniques, including Syntroleum's proprietary Synfining Process. These products include:
  • Ultra-clean liquid fuels for use in internal combustion engines and fuel cells;
    Specialty products such as synthetic lubricants, process oils, waxes, etc.
Costs to produce these products using GTL technology are increasingly competitive with conventional process technologies. Moreover, the ultra-clean properties of GTL fuels meet or exceed the new and proposed environmental requirements that will soon go into effect for the U.S. and Europe.
Key advantages to the Syntroleum Process include its use of air in the conversion process, which is economically competitive and inherently safer than the requirement for pure oxygen in other GTL technologies; and Syntroleum's proprietary catalysts, which enhance conversion efficiency of the catalytic reaction. These features help to reduce capital and operating costs of plants, and permit smaller plant sizes, including mobile plants that can be mounted on barges for offshore service. Research indicates that the Syntroleum Process can be economically applied in plant sizes from less than 20,000 to over 100,000 barrels per day.
It is generally accepted that, if converted to liquid, there are enough known stranded natural gas reserves in the world to produce more than 250 billion barrels of synthetic crude oil. To put that in perspective, that would be equivalent to finding another Saudi Arabia.

----------------

----------------​
Well, the concessions weren''t the only pieces of the puzzle that were necessary to help AA survive outside bankruptcy. Had it not been for the parting clouds (tremendous victory in, and early end to, Iraq war and correspondingly lower oil prices) plus increased revenue - the concessions WOULD NOT have worked without bankruptcy. What you and several others keep whining about ("We are going to file Ch 11 anyway") would have happened.

But for now, AA has a fighting chance of surviving without a bankruptcy filing (which your unions'' outside advisors counseled was preferable to bankruptcy - but what do they know?)

And too bad you didn''t originally sign on to work for UAL. Massive concessions in exchange for now-worthless ESOP stock. Too bad you missed that ride.

Who made more money prior to the latest concessions, UAL or AA mechanics? Maybe the UAL guys gave up a little less because they were already making less?

Yep - it was all a grand conspiracy to bust the unions.

----------------
On 5/26/2003 6:03:55 PM AAmech wrote:

Well Bob "Half Truth" Owens is at it again!   He fails to mention UAL''s health insurance for a family is like $200+ a month now.  Also the closure of two of their three maint bases and the thousands of layoffs that accompanied that action.  Unlike the layoffs at AA, those jobs are gone FOREVER!   Our new system protection date is in 1998.  After UAL''s  Chap 11 theirs is in 1990!!  To hold a mechanics position at UA you now need 13 years seniority!  But hey,  they got a GREAT deal in Bankrupcy Court! 

----------------​

Well, whatever is left will be up for grabs when AMR files for bankruptcy later this year.

I never ceases to amaze me how much certain people long for bankruptcy. They almost sound disappointed that AA didn''t file last month and with each positive development, they sound more and more angry.

Latest posts