East Scheduling....

Travelpro72

Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
Has anyone listened to the trip coverage update for Jan 2nd? They have 54 trips and 25 reserves. They said there is probably nobody left to even make themselves available. How can scheduling allow so many trips to be dropped if they know they don't have the coverage. Now this is where I don't understand HOW this system works. Giving must rides to get to base and moving days to cover for trips that SHOULDN'T be dropped if nobody is there to cover them.

Well looking at the reserve screen there certainly is NOT a sickout on the reserve part. I just think it's bad planning on top of a bad system. Why on earth would a reserve call in and make themselves available only to have their LTO jacked up and sit even longer than they would if they didn't? This system is broken and the company will sing the blues when THEY are screwed. They don't care if the employee is screwed. The company creates/allows this problem.

They called my house too to beg for help. I let the answering machine pick up. In the old reserve days I would have jumped at the chance, knowing I would have a full paycheck.
I had a whopping 49 hours for the month of Dec. and had one of the suckiest Christmases ever. I'm starting my eleventh year and on reserve for the third time. I'm tired of scheduling thinking that I am a charity. They ALWAYS have their hand out. Give me a block and THEN I'll help you out.

Perfect example of a system that doesn't work. ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to have all these reserves instead of blocks. I don't fault the schedulers either. They are doing their jobs and its hard when you don't have anyone. All the way around it's screwed up. Most reserves will not make themselves available to work. What difference does it make honestly? NONE! ! ! ! It is what it is. The days of doing favors is over though. As a reserve you are given NO FAVORS. Sorry but do us ALL a favor and FIX the system.

sky high states: I'm NOT sure, but arent we talking about a protected holiday here?
only stating opinions.

sky high states: Found an eline that answered my own question.....

It was reported to me yesterday that a member of the Inflight Services staff had incorrectly told a Flight Attendant that was holding a trip over Christmas she would unable to trip improve off the trip because Christmas was a "protected holiday". Protected holidays have nothing to do with the AIL. Protected holidays apply only to SAP and the percentage (15) of holiday trips that can be dropped in SAP. If you are holding a trip that works over ANY holiday you are still allowed to use the AIL to touch the trip and have the holiday off.

......sounds like F/A's trip improved OFF the holiday.

only stating opinions

Perfect example of a system that doesn't work. Sorry but do us ALL a favor and FIX the system.

sky high states: Be careful what you wish for. The west side doesnt have TRIP IMPROVING. They have a pick up, drop board. To the company, that would be FIXING the system.
Call in sick? Careful, again. They cant "claim" unless it brings them below 70 hours.
Correct Westies?

only stating opinions.

Favors? Are serious? You're not doing the company nor the scheduler a "favor" when you do your job. Maybe things would change if we went to South Wests way of compensation.....get paid for what you fly!

They called my house too to beg for help. I let the answering machine pick up. In the old reserve days I would have jumped at the chance, knowing I would have a full paycheck.
I had a whopping 49 hours for the month of Dec. and had one of the suckiest Christmases ever. I'm starting my eleventh year and on reserve for the third time. I'm tired of scheduling thinking that I am a charity. They ALWAYS have their hand out. Give me a block and THEN I'll help you out.

I doubt that they left a message on your machine "begging" you to work. Kudos for letting the machine pick up. The passengers appreciate it I'm sure. Remember them? They are responsible for your pay check. Cancel their flights and they'll go else where, no big deal.

A charity? Always have their hands out? Honey, they are your coworkers, getting paid to cover trips while you #### about not wanting to fly, or calling off sick when there is no coverage when you're NOT sick. Or conveniently get sick out of base in FLL or MCO for the morning originator....and lo, you LIVE there.

Sure would be a fine airline if everybody would just do what they were hired to do.

How is it an employee's fault when the CBA permits them not to take a trip?

Maybe you should start blaming the company for not having enough employees to do the job?

Ever think of that?

How is it an employee's fault when the CBA permits them not to take a trip?

Maybe you should start blaming the company for not having enough employees to do the job?

Ever think of that?

Or perhaps the CBA is the problem. Seems that neither the company nor AFA have people qualified to negotiate a well balanced contract.

As for staffing, according to f/a's on this board, we are over staffed....go figure

Change the system and get more junior people involved in the union. The seniors will always benefit and throw the rest to the wolves. The old US way. Lets stand up and make a change. Benefit both sides.

What do you mean Hula? You are obviously a blockholder living in your own little bubble. Schedulers love the control they have over the reserves lives but then have no shame in begging them for help when they are in a jam! As a secondary lineholder it's amazing how I am treated with a "B/H" beside my name compared to when I fell on RSV one month. It was like I was a second class citizen on reserve. Then, they call the reserves and beg like a vagrant for help?
SHAME SHAME SHAME!
Here is a solution. If you really want the trips covered in a jam offer pay no credit to the people making themselves available. It would be more effective. But that's just a band aid for this crappy system.

Back