IAM Fleet Service Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Chill,

Actually, I DID ask Ron about what UA has in store for us and all he did is throw his arms up and say "I don't know! I don't want to speculate at this point... Let's focus on the current TA for now."

So either he was hiding something, or they honestly aren't considering what will happen. Either way.. NAIVE.

If you read the post from the last thread, Districtforce said he thought if we merged with UA that by September there would be layoffs in LAS and PHX and some small west cities closed. Then he went on to say that once the merger ran its course PHX would lose hub/ focus city status.

I also posted in the last thread about the lack of Fortune 500 companies in PHX and LAS compared to all the other hubs. In my opinion, if we merge with UA, PHX will lose flight activity to a large degree. More than half.

Respectfully,

P. REZ

Hey..Chill Out,

So get involved Freedom. These guys are kind of old and have lost their will to fight.

Maybe you need to see my style of meeting with management. If you want to see fight that is. Beware though, I get loud and use profanity. I must admit that we don't have many stewards and most of them are not very experienced. Why aren't you involved?

Respectfully,

P. REZ

Oh I would love to be more involved. I am vocal with my co-workers about what is discussed here, and I love to be analytical and interact. However, I'm still new to the whole union thing. I want what's best for all of us, and I'll throw my hat in the ring when I have more experience, you can count on that!

Also, I go to school full time, so I work 2-3 days a week in the spring and fall. HOWEVER, and I can't stress this enough: I have more than just MY best interests in mind when we iron out the tougher issues. Even after I graduate, I will still hold on to this job. I was 1 of 9 people in PHX to vote no because I thought it was unfair to put our smaller field stations at risk. I had to weigh this against other issues, but ultimately concluded that a UNION is in place for US ALL. Voting yes was a slap in the face to our brothers, and it's shameful the union even put us in that position in the first place.

Bottom line, I'm weary of what the future holds with UA.

Oh I agree with you 100% P.REZ. If you look at our downtown, it has a few high-rises then a few busted down homes around it. Trust me, I know, I was just there for the Tigers/Dbacks game.

They've already reduced Vegas before, and rumors are floating all around that we are already on the chopping block once again.

I agree. Canale and Parker are probably in bed together, and neither of them have our best interests in mind. Again, they NEEDED that contract and it will probably bury us.

The future of our union lies in the membership and their participation. Please take some time over

the next 3 weeks to really consider WHO has your best interest at heart the Old realm who used scare tactics and other means to

secure your vote . Or do you want people that have the pulse of the membership and want to FIGHT for US the membership and not

what Uncle Al and Doug says
.. Please take some time to view what these folks running on the NEW DIRECTION ticket have to say .

IT'S YOUR FUTURE YOU ARE GOING TO BE VOTING ON.

VOTE FOR THE NEW DIRECTION TEAM 08

The fishbowl at philly is the nucleus and heart of PHL. Come in the fishbowl and prepare for a WAR.

{so on and so forth }

Freedom-
I also asked one of our "capable" shop stewards about our first raise, and he didn't have the right answer. The question was about when we got the first raise. His response was that we get it 30 days from ratification, when, in fact, the contract said WITHIN.. He kind of gave me a smug response too. Way to read the contract PHOENIX! So get involved Freedom. These guys are kind of old and have lost their will to fight.

Sup chill , I’d get involved , but I have unique union interests , organizing sounds fun to me , so over time I’m going to look into finding out more about that , but as for the other issues , zzzz , zzzz have you been to a union meeting down at the hotel ? ZZZZZ , zzzzzzz …(no wonder they have it at a hotel , if one’s lucky they can crawl to a room before they pass out ) I think YOU should consider getting more involved , you’re a people person so you’d be great at this stuff …

I don’t think they’ve lost their fighting sprit , I’m just not sure they know where their going … I’m not even sure if they’ve learned anything from this last vote , I know I have ..

When two different work groups combine and one makes significantly less than the other , the work group that makes more needs to do everything humanly possible to bring the other group up as quickly as possible .
Another lesson that I’ve learned is that no matter what happens , a union should never allow it’s self to be split pay rate wise the way the class one and class two cities were .

Also, our union while growing stronger needs to continue to focus on self development and reaching out to it’s members … I know a lot of you place the blame squarely at the feet of your elected officials , but I think unionism needs to be taken out of the union halls and onto the tarmac .. We’ve got to get more people interested and fired up in the issues that affect their lives .. This will be easier to do now that more people will turn to this job for a longer period of time in employment terms , but there are still MANY challenges to brining people into the fold , one of them for instance is the difficulty in staying current with the issues … The communication between the IAM and fleet is sadly lacking , our website needs redesign , and our union meetings need to become interesting rather than a dull repetition of motions and grievance reports …

It would be nice if we as a union had a goal , something to strive for that would unify us rather than our self interests which only serve to divide us , something like oh say helping to unionize delta .. But I’m just thinking aloud here ..

As for you Rat tales … oh that’s a nice photo shop you did , would you like a cookie , how about a star ? Are you five years old or what ? :lol:

A day before the contract vote people began to get angry and confused about how to vote. The entire FISHBOWL at PHL had a strange look...... It was crazy.. It was like total chaos... I believe someone slipped "YES KOOLAID" in the water jugg.....people were disoriented.

Nicholas Handlow
Assistant General Chair - four year term
Four-Year Term - A New Direction 08

Nicholas Handlow has been with US Airways for almost twenty-nine years. Twenty-six of those years have been in PIT, a year in PHL, a short term in DCA and currently he is in CLT.

Nick has served the membership as a Shop Steward as well as a member of the Grievance Committee. Nick grew up knowing the value of being in a union for wages, benefits and retirement security. His father retired from UA after twenty years and then from US after eighteen years working for stores. Unfortunately, he sees the effects of corporate greed and knows that no one can fight them on their own.

Explaining the importance of representing, organizing and politics, Nick said, "You must have knowledge of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the tenacity to see that it is followed. Organizing is the lifeblood of unions by adding strength in numbers, creating power in combating corporate America. With politics, we have to ensure we are setting personal agenda aside and vote for labor. Vote for our family's security."

Nick knows that honesty and accountability mixed with experience and desire will move mountains for the membership. He states, "A New Direction 08 is a coalition of honorable men and women from multiple carriers that are ready to listen and work for the membership."

Just one of the many Dedicated folks on the NEW DIRECTION TEAM . Anyone that knows Nick KNOWS what and WHO he stands
for . I know if I had to jump in a foxhole I would find comfort in knowing nick IS in there fighting with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back